Dominic Suter

Default SACD Compatible Tube PreAm / Amp

Hi all

I'd like to build up a (multichannel) SACD compatible PreAmp and the
Following AMP by myself (I'm an electronic engeneer, so the know how
shouldn't be a problem).
Because of this will be my first audio (high-end) project, I have some
questions to you:
1. What do you think of a tube preamp and amp combi which is SACD
compatible (frequence-linearity), would that make a sense to you?
2. Is it the additional effort worthful or shall I pass that feature of
the SACD compatibility?

Regards

Dominic Suter

Dominic Suter

No problemo. SACD needs a 50 KHz+ bandwith, that's all. And you should

also
be quite careful when it comes to HF noise, even if the output

transformers
will filter what's left.

Ok. I'd implement anyway a low-pass filter (I suppode the -3dB Point would
be @ 100kHz).

Most electronics are 100 % SACD (or DVD-A) compatible.

Oh, I didn't knew that until now. Thank you for this good Information.

But I have also one additional question: A dealer told me, that a tube
amplifier wouldn't sound as good as a transistor amp because a tube wouldn't
be able to dissolve the sound as good as a transistor amp. That was the
first time I heard that and I can beleve that, but he made me really
unconfident.What do you think about his meaning? Is that true?

Sincerely

Dominic Suter

Arny Krueger

"Dominic Suter" wrote in message

No problemo. SACD needs a 50 KHz+ bandwidth, that's all. And you should

also
be quite careful when it comes to HF noise, even if the output

transformers
will filter what's left.

Ok. I'd implement anyway a low-pass filter (I suppose the -3dB Point
would be @ 100kHz).

Ironically, a lot of electronics and speakers naturally roll off in the 20
to 50 KHz range. Furthermore there is an implicit 100 KHz filter in the DSD
recording process as currently implemented.

Most electronics are 100 % SACD (or DVD-A) compatible.

Oh, I didn't knew that until now. Thank you for this good Information.

Well, they are pretty much SACD-compatible in some sense, but are they all
SACD-exploitive?

I don't think so!

Since two of the major features of SACD are response to 100 KHz and 110 dB
dynamic range, I would hope that any and all electronic components used with
SACD had equal-or-better specs. This level of performance turns out to be up
in the stratosphere. Not mission impossible, but something that requires
research and diligence to even identify.

You also need to pay special attention to the room and speakers. Rooms with
110 dB of actual dynamic range are few and far between.

But I have also one additional question: A dealer told me, that a tube
amplifier wouldn't sound as good as a transistor amp because a tube
wouldn't be able to dissolve the sound as good as a transistor amp.

I suspect the word he used was "resolve" not "dissolve". If you look at the
specs I gave in the previous paragraph and hold most tubed equipment up to
this standard, you'll find they are like most SS gear - wanting and falling
short.

That was the first time I heard that and I can believe that, but he
made me really unconfident.What do you think about his meaning? Is
that true?

See my former comments.

TCS

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 16:29:57 +0200, Dominic Suter wrote:

No problemo. SACD needs a 50 KHz+ bandwith, that's all. And you should

also
be quite careful when it comes to HF noise, even if the output

transformers
will filter what's left.

Ok. I'd implement anyway a low-pass filter (I suppode the -3dB Point would
be @ 100kHz).

Most electronics are 100 % SACD (or DVD-A) compatible.

Oh, I didn't knew that until now. Thank you for this good Information.

Yeah, but to really take advantage of SACD, you should have a 192khz
frequency response for the appreciation of any rats in the room and at
least 50,000 watts of power to take advantage of the dynamic range. You
wouldn't want to lose 4-8 bits behind the noise of one's breathing.
Kalman Rubinson

On 03 Oct 2003 22:44:36 GMT, TCS
wrote:

Yeah, but to really take advantage of SACD, you should have a 192khz
frequency response for the appreciation of any rats in the room and at
least 50,000 watts of power to take advantage of the dynamic range. You
wouldn't want to lose 4-8 bits behind the noise of one's breathing.

We can suppress breathing with drugs and improve SNR (snoring nose
response).

Kal