Baelzar

Default iPod, iRiver, Dell DJ, Creative, Sony...what's the best mp3 player?

I know iPods are all the rage right now, but does anyone have experience
with the other players? I'm having trouble making the commitment, even with
the limited choices in front of me.

As far as external speakers are concerned, somebody here recommended the
Tivoli PAL, which looks like the real deal. But I need an mp3 player.

Perhaps there is a web site that does thorough reviews; head-to-head
comparisons?

I submit my pitiful, pathetic questions at the feet of the rec.audio.tech
gods and goddesses for your amusement. Please take mercy on your humble
servant, and impart a morsel of your boundless wisdom upon his unworthy
head.

/bow /bow /bow /i'm not worthy /bow /bow /bow

The iPod is certainly the most popular. Whether the others are as well
built and versatile or more so is open to debate.

If you already have a stereo system or a computer monitor nearfield
setup it seems silly to buy more speakers just for your iPod.

Franco Del Principe

Baelzar wrote:
I know iPods are all the rage right now, but does anyone have experience
with the other players? I'm having trouble making the commitment, even with
the limited choices in front of me.

As far as external speakers are concerned, somebody here recommended the
Tivoli PAL, which looks like the real deal. But I need an mp3 player.

Perhaps there is a web site that does thorough reviews; head-to-head
comparisons?

I submit my pitiful, pathetic questions at the feet of the rec.audio.tech
gods and goddesses for your amusement. Please take mercy on your humble
servant, and impart a morsel of your boundless wisdom upon his unworthy
head.

/bow /bow /bow /i'm not worthy /bow /bow /bow

Baelzar,

I went through the process of choosing an MP3 player a
couple of months ago and got myself an iAudio G3 with 1GB
flash memory.

http://eng.iaudio.com/

I haven't regretted my choice and enjoy this powerful little
beast still vividly. An independent review can be found here.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/review145595.html

Cheers,

Franco
Dan

On 4/1/2005 12:09 PM, Franco Del Principe wrote:
Baelzar wrote:

[...]

If you want good recording as well, then I suggest iRiver. Both their
flash and hd players can record direct from an audio source. iRiver hd
players also use a lithium polyemer battery which lasts a lot longer
then lithion.

"Dan" wrote in message
On 4/1/2005 12:09 PM, Franco Del Principe wrote:

I went through the process of choosing an MP3 player a couple of months
ago and got myself an iAudio G3 with 1GB flash memory.

http://eng.iaudio.com/

I haven't regretted my choice and enjoy this powerful little beast still
vividly. An independent review can be found here.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/review145595.html

Cheers,

Franco

If you want good recording as well, then I suggest iRiver. Both their
flash and hd players can record direct from an audio source. iRiver hd
players also use a lithium polyemer battery which lasts a lot longer then
lithion.

What is the model number of the iRiver device best for recording, and can it
record directly from an external mike?

Thank you,

Norm Strong

mick

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 09:49:56 -0700, Baelzar wrote:

snip

I submit my pitiful, pathetic questions at the feet of the rec.audio.tech
gods and goddesses for your amusement. Please take mercy on your humble
servant, and impart a morsel of your boundless wisdom upon his unworthy
head.

/bow /bow /bow /i'm not worthy /bow /bow /bow

grin

I've just splashed out on an Xcent 100 512MB 'cos it plays ogg files.
(from
http://www.mp3players.co.uk/site/uk/...on/CCCCCC.html )

Sound seems to be pretty good once you change the rather sad supplied
earphones. Nice looking bit of construction too - with an aluminium case
(not coloured plastic - metal!).

Built in mono mike.
Line input for stereo signals - you would need a preamp for a stereo mike.
Adjustable compression rate for both.
Built-in radio and can record from it.

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

Barry Mann

In , on 04/01/05
at 09:49 AM, "Baelzar" said:

I know iPods are all the rage right now, but does anyone have
experience with the other players? I'm having trouble making the
commitment, even with the limited choices in front of me.

I have no experience with the others, but I have played with a DJ. It
seemed small and rugged enough, but I was not impressed with the user
interface.

If you don't need a portable player, check out sonos.com.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Codifus

mick wrote:
[...]

The Iriver flash players, like my IFP790T, do everything you mentioned
as well.

CD
Baelzar

"Baelzar" wrote in message
I know iPods are all the rage right now, but does anyone have experience
with the other players? I'm having trouble making the commitment, even

with
the limited choices in front of me.

As far as external speakers are concerned, somebody here recommended the
Tivoli PAL, which looks like the real deal. But I need an mp3 player.

Perhaps there is a web site that does thorough reviews; head-to-head
comparisons?

I submit my pitiful, pathetic questions at the feet of the rec.audio.tech
gods and goddesses for your amusement. Please take mercy on your humble
servant, and impart a morsel of your boundless wisdom upon his unworthy
head.

/bow /bow /bow /i'm not worthy /bow /bow /bow

Bit the bullet and bought an iAudio M3 from newegg.com, and a Tivoli PAL
from eBay.

I'll letcha know how it works out; should have them both real soon now.

Baelzar

"Baelzar" wrote in message

Bit the bullet and bought an iAudio M3 from newegg.com, and a Tivoli PAL
from eBay.

I'll letcha know how it works out; should have them both real soon now.

Received the iAudio M3 yesterday.

Love it so far; charged up in about 2 hours, shell software loaded right up
and the included cradle worked without a hitch.

I really dig the in-line remote. Means I can tuck the main unit safely
away, and use the little zippo for everything.

It's loud! I've never had a portable CD player that put out this much
volume. So much, in fact, that the included earbuds can't handle it very
well. Lotta popping on the high end. The sound enhancements (equalizer,
bass boost, etc.) are impressive to a noob like me.

Now I just need real earphones. Suggestions? I prefer headphones to
earbuds; my ears just don't hold those earbuds worth a damn.

On 4/8/2005 12:20 AM, Baelzar wrote:
"Baelzar" wrote in message

Bit the bullet and bought an iAudio M3 from newegg.com, and a Tivoli PAL
from eBay.

I'll letcha know how it works out; should have them both real soon now.

Received the iAudio M3 yesterday.

Love it so far; charged up in about 2 hours, shell software loaded right up
and the included cradle worked without a hitch.

I really dig the in-line remote. Means I can tuck the main unit safely
away, and use the little zippo for everything.

It's loud! I've never had a portable CD player that put out this much
volume. So much, in fact, that the included earbuds can't handle it very
well. Lotta popping on the high end. The sound enhancements (equalizer,
bass boost, etc.) are impressive to a noob like me.

Now I just need real earphones. Suggestions? I prefer headphones to
earbuds; my ears just don't hold those earbuds worth a damn.

Get some Koss Porta-Pros
Baelzar

wrote in message
On 4/8/2005 12:20 AM, Baelzar wrote:
"Baelzar" wrote in message

(snip)

Now I just need real earphones. Suggestions? I prefer headphones to
earbuds; my ears just don't hold those earbuds worth a damn.

Get some Koss Porta-Pros

Ordered 'em. See how susceptible to suggestion I am?

I googled an old post about using two Tivoli PALs into a stereo speaker
setup by clipping the end off of a cable. Now I have to get another PAL.

Will it ever end?