bryanska

Default How do I splice antenna wire, install new connectors?

Hello,

I am wondering how I can either:

1) Cut an existing standard FM car antenna coax wire, and put a new set
of standard male/female Motorola antenna jacks onto the cut ends. So
instead of the wire being whole, it would be segmented along its
length. Can I buy a set of Motorola jacks, female and male? Further,
how do I install them onto the wire?

- or -

2) Build a length of standard FM car antenna wire that terminates in a
standard male Motorola connector on end, and a General Motors small
male connector on the other. (Wires that end in male-and-female are
commercially available, but not Motorola male-and-GM male.)

I am installing an Audiovox FMM100 modulator in my 2002 Alero. It has a
male antenna connector that outputs to the head unit, and a female jack
that receives from the antenna source.

The problem is, the headunit's antenna is HARDWIRED into the unit.
Further, the other end of that same wire is a GM male jack that plugs
into an antenna "box" adjacent to the car's in-window antenna grid.

This situation requires one of the above solutions. Number 1 is
preferable.

ANY help is appreciated.

Larry Fisk

they make a gm to standard antenna adapter
Like this:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q33823D2B

"bryanska" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I am wondering how I can either:

1) Cut an existing standard FM car antenna coax wire, and put a new set
of standard male/female Motorola antenna jacks onto the cut ends. So
instead of the wire being whole, it would be segmented along its
length. Can I buy a set of Motorola jacks, female and male? Further,
how do I install them onto the wire?

- or -

2) Build a length of standard FM car antenna wire that terminates in a
standard male Motorola connector on end, and a General Motors small
male connector on the other. (Wires that end in male-and-female are
commercially available, but not Motorola male-and-GM male.)

Luc Delorme

Yes, but he stated that the antenna lead was hardwired to the head
unit, so that adapter would be useless to him.

Any 75-ohm coax would work for antenna wire. RG-6 and RG-59 come to
mind. The same stuff that cable TV uses. Also, you could replace all
antenna connection with "F" type connectors, male and female as
required (again, these are the same connectors as for cable TV).
Connectors and crimpers should be available at most electronics shops.
That would give you more reliable connections that the OEM antenna
connectors.

Luc

bryanska

Really! You say straight-up TV coax connectors?

I never knew that. I will definitely keep that in mind.

I'd really like to go with a set of standard Motorola antenna jacks, a
male and a female, so I could simply insert my modulator into the
"break" created when I cut the line. Can I find those in any kind of
shop, or will I have to hunt online? And I assume those jacks need a
secial tool...

If the Motorola jacks are impossible to find, I'll go with the cable
connectors. I didn't know those could fit on an antenna wire. Thanks!