Howard Ferstler

Harry Lavo wrote:

wrote in message ...

NO test can demonstrate that there is no difference. Any such test has
one of two possible outcomes:
1) it can demonstrate that there IS a difference;
2) it can fail to determine whether there is or is not a difference.

Of course, if you keep getting result #2, that should tell you
something.

Yes, either the test is wrong or you need more trials. :-)

Basically, then, you are saying that if a test does not
validate one's preconceptions it must be a bad test, or at
least a good test wrongly implemented.

Interesting approach, and no doubt a comforting one.

Howard Ferstler
Harry Lavo

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

wrote in message

NO test can demonstrate that there is no difference. Any such test has
one of two possible outcomes:
1) it can demonstrate that there IS a difference;
2) it can fail to determine whether there is or is not a difference.

Of course, if you keep getting result #2, that should tell you
something.

Yes, either the test is wrong or you need more trials. :-)

Basically, then, you are saying that if a test does not
validate one's preconceptions it must be a bad test, or at
least a good test wrongly implemented.

Interesting approach, and no doubt a comforting one.

Howard Ferstler

Howard, if you are going to reappear here, at least read the post in
context and note the smiley. Obviously I was kidding following on the
previous response. Do I have to be so literal as to spell it out for
you?

Howard Ferstler

Harry Lavo wrote:

wrote in message

NO test can demonstrate that there is no difference. Any such test has
one of two possible outcomes:
1) it can demonstrate that there IS a difference;
2) it can fail to determine whether there is or is not a difference.

Of course, if you keep getting result #2, that should tell you
something.

Yes, either the test is wrong or you need more trials. :-)

Basically, then, you are saying that if a test does not
validate one's preconceptions it must be a bad test, or at
least a good test wrongly implemented.

Interesting approach, and no doubt a comforting one.

Howard Ferstler

Howard, if you are going to reappear here, at least read the post in
context and note the smiley. Obviously I was kidding following on the
previous response. Do I have to be so literal as to spell it out for
you?

The smiley notwithstanding, I tend to think that beneath it
all you were serious about your contention. As for me
reappearing, I really do read the threads once in a while,
and I continue to marvel at all of those tempests in
teapots. Rather than mix it up with the participants, I
normally prefer to just roll my eyes and marvel at it all.

In any case, I find it incredible that that people can go on
and on about scientifically oriented testing. Note that I am
not just referring to those who suspect such things as being
misleading to audio truths, but also am referring to those
who go on and on defending the procedure. Yep, both sides.
The defenders of scientific protocol are nearly as wrong
headed as those who attack it.

If some people are not going to be convinced by a
straightforward approach to audio testing and brass-tacks
audio by now, it is a waste of time to step to the front of
the room and try to convince them all over again. Audio is a
hobby, after all, and trying to make it into hard science is
just not going to work.

Me? Well, I will continue to publish my little magazine
articles and product reviews, and will occasionally post
something here or on RAO (to be truthful, I have been
posting WAY too much on RAO lately), but after seeing the
monumental size of this series of threads, not to mention
the series dealing with the LP vs the CD (and of course
equally lengthy ones that have appeared in the past), I will
leave it to people who are more enthusiastic about this
"hobby" than I to engage in prolonged give and take.

Howard Ferstler
Harry Lavo

Harry Lavo wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Well, I'm happy to see you haven't given up your hobby of mind-reading.
Even if you are wrong, as usual! :-)

snip, irrelevant to comment here

Howard Ferstler wrote:
Harry Lavo wrote:

(Snip irrelevant content)

The defenders of scientific protocol are nearly as wrong
headed as those who attack it.

Well gosh Howard, maybe you should take this up with all those
scientists who have been doing it so wrong all these years.

If some people are not going to be convinced by a
straightforward approach to audio testing and brass-tacks
audio by now, it is a waste of time to step to the front of
the room and try to convince them all over again.

Howard, just a point of clarification, does straight forward mean
sloppy and unreliable? What is "brass tacks," a new cone like tweak or
code for your personal approach to audio or what? And don't people have
to be convinced first before you convince them "all ove again?"

Audio is a
hobby, after all, and trying to make it into hard science is
just not going to work.

Well, I agree with that. but why such a devotion to DBTs if that is
your position? DBTs are a tool of scientific investigation. Very useful
in the hands of skilled researchers. Your claim that defenders of
scientific protocols are wrong headed would make me think you are
against it not only for the hobbyist but also for the pros. It's really
hard to tell what you are saying now.

(Snip personal anecdote.)

Scott Wheeler
Howard Ferstler

Howard Ferstler wrote:
Harry Lavo wrote:

(Snip irrelevant content)

The defenders of scientific protocol are nearly as wrong
headed as those who attack it.

Well gosh Howard, maybe you should take this up with all those
scientists who have been doing it so wrong all these years.

Oh, they are not wrong when it comes to their opinions about
audio. Most are on the mark when it comes to the scientific
method and its ability to separate fact from fiction.

Rather, they are wrong in a philosophical sense, because
they are essentially wasting their time debating what has
degenerated into a theological issue. Certain people
(usually with complete sincerity and finality) simply have
to believe in something ineffable to enjoy the hobby. The
scientific types try to apply epistemology ("How do you
know?") to various enthusiast positions (the "sound" of
amps, wires, CD players, etc.) that are essentially faith
related, and that is, in my opinion, a waste of time - at
least if the debate goes on and on and on.

If some people are not going to be convinced by a
straightforward approach to audio testing and brass-tacks
audio by now, it is a waste of time to step to the front of
the room and try to convince them all over again.

Howard, just a point of clarification, does straight forward mean
sloppy and unreliable?

No, it means a common-sense approach, uncolored by the will
to believe in something ineffable. It requires a detached
approach to the hobby that is very difficult for some people
to deal with.

What is "brass tacks," a new cone like tweak or
code for your personal approach to audio or what?

See comment on the term straightforward, above.

And don't people have
to be convinced first before you convince them "all over again?"

Yep. I got that one wrong. I should have said "attempt to
convince them all over again." The process of attempting is
what is wrong headed.

Audio is a
hobby, after all, and trying to make it into hard science is
just not going to work.

Well, I agree with that. but why such a devotion to DBTs if that is
your position?

I used the DBT protocol to convince myself about the
so-called "sound" of wires, amps, and CD players. It worked
for me, and the results have caused me no emotional
problems. However, there are people out there who have a
will to believe, and no amount of DBT work by them or anyone
else is going to change their minds. Heck, I know of one
engineer who took the scientific approach and actually built
an ABX device - and did some comparing and could not hear
differences. Instead of changing his mind about the sound of
components (he believed that amps and wires and CD players
had definite sonic personalities), he wrote off the ABX
procedure as misleading. If a guy like that has such strong
beliefs about audio, what can we expect from people with no
background in electronics or acoustics at all?

DBTs are a tool of scientific investigation. Very useful
in the hands of skilled researchers.

Actually, they are useful in the hands of just about anyone,
particularly when it comes to audio. If someone does a
level-matched DBT (level matching being as critical as the
blind part of the protocol, in my opinion) and cannot hear
differences between amps, or between wires, or between CD
players (particularly if he compares cheap versions to
expensive versions, which should dramatize the issue) then
for all intents and purposes the procedure has done its job.
That job being to show that most so-called differences
between such components are imaginary.

Now, for a guy like me this is good news, because it means
that I can get away with buying reasonably low- or
middle-priced components (at least if we are talking about
amps, wires, and players) and using the money saved for
other things, like purchasing recordings or better speakers
or a subwoofer. On the other hand, for those who simply must
believe in the ineffable, such procedures make the hobby
less interesting, less esoteric, and less involving.

Your claim that defenders of
scientific protocols are wrong headed would make me think you are
against it not only for the hobbyist but also for the pros.

My problem is that when the pros (be they designers or
journalists) or informed hobbyists work hard at trying to
convince those for whom audio involves communing with the
ineffable they are essentially wasting their time.

Yes, I realize that some of those people, including me, keep
doing this, because they hope to keep newcomers from being
seduced by the "dark side" of the hobby. However, I now
believe that those who have a propensity to believe in the
ineffable are going to believe that way, no matter what me
or other objective types say. On the other hand, more
brass-tacks oriented people are going to be that way, no
matter what the subjectivists say.

Debating the issues for pages and pages of text is a waste
of time. A little bit is OK, though.

It's really
hard to tell what you are saying now.

I hope my comments above clarified things a bit.

Howard Ferstler
Mark DeBellis

I would be curious to know if the research on perceptual coding (or
any other research) has turned up examples where two stimuli can't be
discriminated from one another on close inspection, but where one
stimulus is more fatiguing than the other over longer exposure.

Mark

Helen Schmidt

Mark DeBellis wrote:
OK, is this the idea.

We want to prove that two sources provide the same information to the
listener in the context of ordinary use.

We appeal now to the following Principle:

If two sources provide the same information in ordinary use, then in a
test in which small, corresponding portions are compared, the listener
will not be able to discriminate them.

In particular, the type of discrimination task is the following: on any
trial, two short excerpts are played, either both from the same source
(a repetition) or from different sources, and the listener has to say
if they're from the same or different sources, and he passes the test
if he says same or different better than chance.

Two observations. First of all, in a test like this there is plenty of
information coming from either source that may not make it to the
listener, such as the "temporally extended" properties I have
mentioned. (Maybe that's obvious.) The thing is, the Principle says
that that's OK because those properties have a certain dependence
relation on the, as it were, "atomic" properties that get compared in
such a test. The relation is, no difference in information presented
unless there is a difference in atomic properties. In other words,
information "supervenes" on atomic properties. It does so even if it
does not *consist* exclusively in atomic properties (because, when I
hear the Brahmsian style of a recorded performance, that is not any
property of a short snippet). (To put the Principle better,
information supervenes on *discernible* atomic properties.)

I think you are right that Bob appeals to this principle, but I think I
have a simple counterexample. Suppose a passage of music includes a
gradual accelerando (quickening of tempo). If the accelerando is
gradual enough, then it will be imperceptible in short segments, but
clearly perceptible in the whole passage.

Helen

Mark DeBellis wrote:
I would be curious to know if the research on perceptual coding (or
any other research) has turned up examples where two stimuli can't be
discriminated from one another on close inspection, but where one
stimulus is more fatiguing than the other over longer exposure.

It is highly unlikely that a researcher in psychoacoustics would
consider this a matter worth investigating. Leaving aside the
ill-defined term "fatiguing," there is neither evidence nor any
plausible reason to believe that inaudible differences among codecs
have any differential effect on the brain.

bob

Helen Schmidt wrote:
I think you are right that Bob appeals to this principle, but I think I
have a simple counterexample. Suppose a passage of music includes a
gradual accelerando (quickening of tempo). If the accelerando is
gradual enough, then it will be imperceptible in short segments, but
clearly perceptible in the whole passage.

The reason you won't be able to perceive it in the short segment is
that it isn't happening in the short segment. I'll concede that we
cannot hear things that are not there. (Will you?)

But I am talking strictly about hearing differences between two
separate presentations. Your example doesn't speak to that at all.

bob
Mark DeBellis

Mark DeBellis wrote:
I would be curious to know if the research on perceptual coding (or
any other research) has turned up examples where two stimuli can't be
discriminated from one another on close inspection, but where one
stimulus is more fatiguing than the other over longer exposure.

It is highly unlikely that a researcher in psychoacoustics would
consider this a matter worth investigating. Leaving aside the
ill-defined term "fatiguing,"

Ah, thanks for the reply. The notion of "fatiguing" could be given an
operational definition by, for example, allowing the subject to keep
listening to the song played over and over until he/she decides to
switch it off.

there is neither evidence nor any
plausible reason to believe that inaudible differences among codecs
have any differential effect on the brain.

OK, so the question is, are there stimuli that on close inspection are
indistinguishable from one another but would get rated differently
according to the above way of defining "fatiguing"? And from what
you're saying it would seem to follow that no one knows. There is no
evidence that the answer is yes, but then again no one has investigated
it, so we shouldn't conclude too much from the absence of such
evidence. Or is there reason to think that there could *not* be such
stimuli--that stimuli that are indistinguishable on close inspection
would *have* to get similar ratings for fatigue as described above, as
a matter of psychological fact? If so, what does that reason look
like? What's the principle behind it?

Mark

Stewart Pinkerton

On 10 Jul 2005 17:24:00 GMT, "Helen Schmidt"
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

Agreed, and in this particular case, it's necessary to listen to the
entire piece. That would of course make such a musical piece a very
poor choice for doing comparisons between two pieces of equipment.

Mark DeBellis wrote:
wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
I would be curious to know if the research on perceptual coding (or
any other research) has turned up examples where two stimuli can't be
discriminated from one another on close inspection, but where one
stimulus is more fatiguing than the other over longer exposure.

It is highly unlikely that a researcher in psychoacoustics would
consider this a matter worth investigating. Leaving aside the
ill-defined term "fatiguing,"

Ah, thanks for the reply. The notion of "fatiguing" could be given an
operational definition by, for example, allowing the subject to keep
listening to the song played over and over until he/she decides to
switch it off.

There are rules against using cruelty in scientific experiments on
human subjects.

there is neither evidence nor any
plausible reason to believe that inaudible differences among codecs
have any differential effect on the brain.

OK, so the question is, are there stimuli that on close inspection are
indistinguishable from one another but would get rated differently
according to the above way of defining "fatiguing"? And from what
you're saying it would seem to follow that no one knows. There is no
evidence that the answer is yes, but then again no one has investigated
it, so we shouldn't conclude too much from the absence of such
evidence. Or is there reason to think that there could *not* be such
stimuli--that stimuli that are indistinguishable on close inspection
would *have* to get similar ratings for fatigue as described above, as
a matter of psychological fact? If so, what does that reason look
like? What's the principle behind it?

Very simply, we can measure signals passing through the aural (otic?)
nerve to the brain. And we can, and have, figured out the quietest
sounds that will trigger a signal to the brain. I presume you will
accept the fact that if something is too quiet to excite the aural
nerve, then the brain cannot react to it in any way.

We've also used listening tests to determine the quietest sounds that
humans can detect. And it turns out that the quietest sounds we can
detect in listening tests are pretty close to the quietest sounds that
can excite the aural nerve. IOW, if you can't hear it in a listening
test, we're on pretty safe ground in assuming that it can't excite the
aural nerve, and therefore that your brain cannot react to it in any
way.

That's why psychoacousticians use these listening tests--because
they've proven sensitive enough to do the job.

bob
Mark DeBellis

Mark DeBellis wrote:
wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

OK, that I get, but ...

We've also used listening tests to determine the quietest sounds that
humans can detect. And it turns out that the quietest sounds we can
detect in listening tests are pretty close to the quietest sounds that
can excite the aural nerve. IOW, if you can't hear it in a listening
test, we're on pretty safe ground in assuming that it can't excite the
aural nerve, and therefore that your brain cannot react to it in any
way.

.... how do we get from "a sound that is too quiet to be heard" to "a
difference that is too small to detect"? Are you saying that whenever
two sounds are indistinguishable then the input to the auditory nerve
is the same?

Not sure I get the relation between "if you can't hear it" in the sense
that you don't hear a sound and the sense that you don't hear (detect)
a difference... not sure that they're the same thing really.

Mark
Harry Lavo

wrote in message ...
Mark DeBellis wrote:
wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

That's the conventional wisdom, based on older research, I believe.

More recent research suggests the brain actively changes the sensitivity and
more importantly the "focus" of what the ears are to listen for and process
depending on what type of sound is involved, even changing the physical
configuration of the sensors. And in the process, the work has apparently
reemphasized the importance of distortion and transient perception. In
other words, the ear/brain complex listens "differently" to music, to
telephone voices, to threatening sounds in the woods, to traffic noise, etc.

Don't ask me for sources...I've picked this up second-hand via NPR, Psych
Today, the NYT, etc. But it's out there somewhere if one wants to do the
research.

And BTW, when Bob says "it turns out that the quietest sounds we can
detect in listening tests are pretty close to the quietest sounds that can
excite the aural nerve." he is talking about sound per se (usually white
noise), not music. These tests are less sensitive for music. And as now
seems possible, it may be because the brain is controlling the ear to focus
on different things when listening to music.

Mark DeBellis wrote:

... how do we get from "a sound that is too quiet to be heard" to "a
difference that is too small to detect"? Are you saying that whenever
two sounds are indistinguishable then the input to the auditory nerve
is the same?

Not sure I get the relation between "if you can't hear it" in the sense
that you don't hear a sound and the sense that you don't hear (detect)
a difference... not sure that they're the same thing really.

You're pushing the bounds of my "expertise," so I hope someone who
knows this stuff better than I will chime in, but basically there's no
difference because in both cases you're talking about detecting a tiny
change in air pressure--which, as it turns out, is the only thing the
ear can do.

bob
Jenn

"Mark DeBellis" wrote:

wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
wrote:

Very simply, we can measure signals passing through the aural (otic?)
nerve to the brain. And we can, and have, figured out the quietest
sounds that will trigger a signal to the brain. I presume you will
accept the fact that if something is too quiet to excite the aural
nerve, then the brain cannot react to it in any way.

We've also used listening tests to determine the quietest sounds that
humans can detect. And it turns out that the quietest sounds we can
detect in listening tests are pretty close to the quietest sounds that
can excite the aural nerve.

I take it that the above is not true of subjects who are tone deaf
through some brain pathology, i.e., who cannot discriminate pitches
normally, but who have nothing wrong with their ears?

Mark

Just a note here, and I'm sure that you're already aware of this: true
tone deafness is VERY rare. There are indeed people for whom you can
play "Mary Had a Little Lamb", then play it again with half of the notes
being "wrong" and they can't tell the difference. See the work of
Peretz in Montreal and others. But this is so rare that few of us here
have ever met such a person. The vast majority of people who call
themselves or others "tone deaf" because they don't seem to be able to
sing in tune, etc. are simply untrained in the ear/voice/brain
connection, and aren't really tone deaf at all. It's a very over used
term, I'm afraid.
Mark DeBellis

Very simply, we can measure signals passing through the aural (otic?)
nerve to the brain. And we can, and have, figured out the quietest
sounds that will trigger a signal to the brain. I presume you will
accept the fact that if something is too quiet to excite the aural
nerve, then the brain cannot react to it in any way.

We've also used listening tests to determine the quietest sounds that
humans can detect. And it turns out that the quietest sounds we can
detect in listening tests are pretty close to the quietest sounds that
can excite the aural nerve. IOW, if you can't hear it in a listening
test, we're on pretty safe ground in assuming that it can't excite the
aural nerve, and therefore that your brain cannot react to it in any
way.

p.s. If I understand you, you are saying that if I can detect the
difference between a just-barely-measurable signal in the auditory
nerve and no signal at all, then I can detect any measurable difference
between any two signals (in the auditory nerve) whatever. And I don't
see how that follows.

Isn't that like saying that if you can discriminate a needle from empty
space, you must be able to discriminate a haystack that has a needle on
it from one that doesn't?

Anyway, I took your suggestion, which was an excellent one, to look at
some basic books on the subject, and I can't find an argument like the
above in them. Perhaps I just missed it, but if it's not too much
trouble could you please give a reference? Thanks.

Mark

Mark DeBellis

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

If we are distinguishing two pieces of audio equipment due to pitch
difference, then something is *seriously* broken! :-)

Just maybe to clarify ... although at this point in the discussion I
remain skeptical, from a theoretical point of view, about how much
discrimination tests actually tell us ...

.... as a practical matter, if I knew that people could not tell the
difference between two given components in blind testing, then I
wouldn't really consider spending (say) $500 more on one of them. I
would be very skeptical about any claim that one was better. But I
might spend (say) $8 more on the SACD over the CD, even if I'd heard
that any difference was very hard to discern (and even given that I'd
found in direct comparison that the differences were much smaller than
I'd expected them to be). $8 is not a lot to bet that the received
wisdom is wrong. In other words, I am skeptical both about the claim
that one thing is better than another and about the claim that it is
known that one is not better than the other. I also think I am not
totally irrational about how to translate this into dollars and cents,
although perhaps others would not agree ...

I also think that if you told me that an inexpensive, well-built power
cord is just as good as the $1000 power cords being sold, I would
believe you, but my confidence in what you told me would be based not
so much on the outcome of listening tests as on your general
engineering and scientific knowledge of how the relevant devices work
and how the output signal could, or could not, possibly be affected by
a difference between the cords. Theory counts for a lot!

Again, this may be obvious to everyone else already.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 12 Jul 2005 23:41:58 GMT, "Mark DeBellis"

Mark DeBellis wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Fair enough, but I guess what I am trying to say is that, quite
possibly, the objectivist shouldn't put all the weight of his/her
argument on the discrimination test per se. By itself, I don't know
how much it proves. If there are other, general theoretical reasons to
think there couldn't be a detectable difference in sound between two
sources, or if any difference is constrained to be one of a very
limited range, then that bolsters the argument. Again, this may be
obvious to everyone else, but I'm just seeing it now. (The main
example I am envisioning here is SACD vs. CD, not comparing two cables
say, where the possible physical variation would, I assume, be very
highly constrained.)

Anyway, I mean the point about tone-deafness as a general
methodological point about the relation between the following:

1. When one stimulus evokes a just-barely-measurable neural signal, and
another evokes no signal at all, the subject can discriminate the two
stimuli from one another,

and

2. For *any* two stimuli (not just very quiet ones), if the subject
cannot discriminate them, then the neural signals cannot be measurably
different.

(I take it that Bob was arguing for 2 on the basis of 1.) If 2 is
supposed to follow from 1, then 1 had better not be true for any
subjects who cannot discriminate pitches due to brain injury. If it
were, this would show that the inference from 1 to 2 is not valid,
since for such a person 1 would be true but 2 false.

Mark

Mark DeBellis wrote:
wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:

... how do we get from "a sound that is too quiet to be heard" to "a
difference that is too small to detect"? Are you saying that whenever
two sounds are indistinguishable then the input to the auditory nerve
is the same?

Not sure I get the relation between "if you can't hear it" in the sense
that you don't hear a sound and the sense that you don't hear (detect)
a difference... not sure that they're the same thing really.

You're pushing the bounds of my "expertise," so I hope someone who
knows this stuff better than I will chime in, but basically there's no
difference because in both cases you're talking about detecting a tiny
change in air pressure--which, as it turns out, is the only thing the
ear can do.

Well, this is certainly not in my expertise either, but honestly I
don't see how the result transfers to arbitrary contexts. In one case
we're talking about a tiny difference in isolation;

Not really. There's always background noise. So you're really comparing
background-noise to background-noise-plus-tiny signal.

that will be
discriminated. In the general case there are two complex sounds that
differ by at least that tiny amount; does it follow that, in that more
complicated context, the listener will be able to discriminate between
them? I just don't see what compels the conclusion that, if the tiny
amount can be detected in isolation, then it can also be detected in
the more complicated context.

Not what I said at all, and irrelevant to the point we were discussing.

bob
Mark DeBellis

You're pushing the bounds of my "expertise," so I hope someone who
knows this stuff better than I will chime in, but basically there's no
difference because in both cases you're talking about detecting a tiny
change in air pressure--which, as it turns out, is the only thing the
ear can do.

Not to go on about this, but just to make clearer what is at issue. We
know that if S1 and S2 are stimuli, and if S1 causes no signal in the
auditory nerve but S2 causes a just-barely-measurable signal, then I
can discriminate S1 and S2. OK, how does this transfer up the loudness
scale? Suppose S3 is a relatively high-intensity stimulus, causing a
certain signal in the auditory nerve that is more than just barely
measurable, and S4 causes a signal in the auditory nerve that is
measurably different from the signal caused by S3. Will S4 be
discriminable from S3? I think it would take further experiment to
establish that. It's not like it could be logically inferred simply
from the result about S1 and S2.

Also, whatever kinds of sounds may be used to establish the original
result (about S1 and S2), it would take additional work to show that
this result transfers to sounds of arbitrary complexity. If for
example the original result is based on pure sine waves, then the
question would be if the same result holds for sounds of arbitrary
spectral complexity (i.e., timbre). Again, this would require separate
experiment. It's not like it just follows logically from the original
result.

Mark

Mark DeBellis

OK, so to come back to what is basically the original question.
Suppose Karl is comparing SACD and CD of the same recording, and he
fails a discrimination test. This means he takes a quick-switch ABX
test and fails to discriminate at a significant level one source from
the other, as same or different. (Note: this is not the kind of test I
reported failing in the SACD/CD thread; what I failed was an
identification test, not a discrimination test.)

The skeptic claims: for all we know from the result of this test, there
could be a perceptual difference between the two sources in normal
listening (as opposed to testing) situations. For all we know, in
listening to 5-minute stretches, say, Karl derives greater satisfaction
or pleasure from one source than he does from the other.

Ah, but the ABX-proponent says, then let him listen first to one
stretch, then the other, and if he derives greater pleasure from one
than the other, then he *will* be able to discriminate them. The
skeptic replies, not necessarily. He will be able to do this only if,
say, he is good at *comparing* the pleasure he derives from one passage
with the pleasure that he derives from the other. And he may not be
good at this if he is not able to retain an accurate representation in
memory of the pleasure derived from the first while he listens to the
second, or if he is just not very good at comparing two memory traces.
In other words, to say he *must* be able to discriminate in such a case
is to impute to him a greater power of introspection than he may in
fact have.

OK, then the ABXer's response is that the skeptic's notion that two
experiences can differ in satisfaction or pleasure derived, if they
cannot be reliably discriminated as such, is empirically meaningless.
The skeptic replies: not necessarily. For example, if during listening
Karl is asked to rate his satisfaction on a scale from 1 to 10, and if
the ratings for one source are significantly different from those of
the other, that would be an empirical difference. (And it wouldn't
follow from the fact that the ratings are significantly different that
Karl would be able to pass a *discrimination* test. Differential
response, in one situation, does not necessarily imply an ability to
*compare* reliably, in a much different situation.)

I think this idea of ratings is basically the same in spirit as Harry's
suggestion of "monadic" tests.

Mark
Stewart Pinkerton

On 14 Jul 2005 23:20:14 GMT, "Mark DeBellis"
wrote:

1. When one stimulus evokes a just-barely-measurable neural signal, and
another evokes no signal at all, the subject can discriminate the two
stimuli from one another,

and

2. For *any* two stimuli (not just very quiet ones), if the subject
cannot discriminate them, then the neural signals cannot be measurably
different.

(I take it that Bob was arguing for 2 on the basis of 1.) If 2 is
supposed to follow from 1, then 1 had better not be true for any
subjects who cannot discriminate pitches due to brain injury. If it
were, this would show that the inference from 1 to 2 is not valid,
since for such a person 1 would be true but 2 false.

One thing should be tidied up here. The effect known as masking does
make detectable partial loudness intervals larger as the general SPL
goes up, i.e. we can not hear sounds which are more than about 45dB
below the average sound level. Perceptual codecs such as MP3 rely on
this feature of human hearing. That's one reason why vinylphiles claim
not to be troubled by surface noise.

Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

Except that, if he's unable to do this blind, then he is unable to do
it sighted. If he's no good at comparing the pleasure he derives from
each, then how did he arrive at the original judgment that SACD sounds
better than CD? (And if he didn't start from this, why even do the
blind test?)

And assuming he did somehow arrive at the original judgment that SACD
sounds better than CD, why can he not duplicate that comparison blind,
multiple times, to see if he arrives at the same judgment consistently?
I'll tell you why--because he's afraid of the result.

OK, then the ABXer's response is that the skeptic's notion that two
experiences can differ in satisfaction or pleasure derived, if they
cannot be reliably discriminated as such, is empirically meaningless.
The skeptic replies: not necessarily. For example, if during listening
Karl is asked to rate his satisfaction on a scale from 1 to 10, and if
the ratings for one source are significantly different from those of
the other, that would be an empirical difference.

"If" isn't empirical. All the empirical evidence suggests that a test
like this would fail, for reasons you've been given over and over and
over again. Give it a rest.

(And it wouldn't
follow from the fact that the ratings are significantly different that
Karl would be able to pass a *discrimination* test. Differential
response, in one situation, does not necessarily imply an ability to
*compare* reliably, in a much different situation.)

Opinion stated as fact. There is no evidence that "discrimination" in
hearing and "comparing" in hearing are different. You are merely
playing at semantics, without a shred of evidence to back you up.

I think this idea of ratings is basically the same in spirit as Harry's
suggestion of "monadic" tests.

Yes, it does sound like you have bought into Harry's anti-scientific
worldview. I suggest you endeavor to talk to a real scientist for a
change.

bob
Keith Hughes

Mark DeBellis wrote:

snip
The skeptic claims: for all we know from the result of this test, there
could be a perceptual difference between the two sources in normal
listening (as opposed to testing) situations. For all we know, in
listening to 5-minute stretches, say, Karl derives greater satisfaction
or pleasure from one source than he does from the other.

To postulate this requires stipulating that Karl did, indeed, make a
distinction.

Ah, but the ABX-proponent says, then let him listen first to one
stretch, then the other, and if he derives greater pleasure from one
than the other, then he *will* be able to discriminate them.

That is *implicit*. You cannot enjoy one more than the other without
being able to discriminate between them. There would be *no* basis.

The
skeptic replies, not necessarily. He will be able to do this only if,
say, he is good at *comparing* the pleasure he derives from one passage
with the pleasure that he derives from the other.

If not, then he cannot, by definition, know that he enjoyed one more
than another.

And he may not be
good at this if he is not able to retain an accurate representation in
memory of the pleasure derived from the first while he listens to the
second, or if he is just not very good at comparing two memory traces.
In other words, to say he *must* be able to discriminate in such a case
is to impute to him a greater power of introspection than he may in
fact have.

Nonsense. You have already *stipulated* that he enjoyed one more than
another. That very fact *defines* extant discrimination.

OK, then the ABXer's response is that the skeptic's notion that two
experiences can differ in satisfaction or pleasure derived, if they
cannot be reliably discriminated as such, is empirically meaningless.

No, rather, that which is not repeatable is not considered valid
empirical data.

The skeptic replies: not necessarily. For example, if during listening
Karl is asked to rate his satisfaction on a scale from 1 to 10, and if
the ratings for one source are significantly different from those of
the other, that would be an empirical difference.

And if these results were not repeatable, then they would be empirically
meaningless, within the context of a verifiable difference (sonically,
emotionally, musically, whatever). Further, if the tests were not
relatively contemporaneous, Karl's emotional state would be as likely,
if not more so, to be responsible for a disparate reaction (between A
and B for e.g.) than would be an actual audible difference. Certainly it
would introduce sufficient doubt as to invalidate the test.

(And it wouldn't
follow from the fact that the ratings are significantly different that
Karl would be able to pass a *discrimination* test.

He just *did* 'pass' a discrimination test, by definition. That he
didn't say "A is better than B" is irrelevant. If he states that "A
engenders a pleasure level of 9 and B engenders a pleasure level of 2"
he has clearly discriminated between the systems.

Differential
response, in one situation, does not necessarily imply an ability to
*compare* reliably, in a much different situation.)

Reproducibility is the hallmark of *valid* data, irrespective of
context. If, in the context the orginal observation was made, the
observation cannot be repeated, it must be considered either an anomaly,
or simply erroneous. There are no other interpretations, although there
are a myriad of possible underlying causes.

I think this idea of ratings is basically the same in spirit as Harry's
suggestion of "monadic" tests.

Mark

Harry Lavo

wrote in message ...

Yes, it does sound like you have bought into Harry's anti-scientific
worldview. I suggest you endeavor to talk to a real scientist for a
change.

Nothing I have said in this or any other group is "unscientific". It does
not support ABX without questioning some of the basic premises. That
simple.

If you are truly a scientist, you think about these things objectively, at
least. If you have become dogmatic and accept it as an article of faith,
then questioning it becomes tauntamont to heresy.

I leave readers to decide which is operational here.

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
wrote in message

Yes, it does sound like you have bought into Harry's anti-scientific
worldview. I suggest you endeavor to talk to a real scientist for a
change.

Nothing I have said in this or any other group is "unscientific". It does
not support ABX without questioning some of the basic premises. That
simple.

If you are truly a scientist, you think about these things objectively, at
least. If you have become dogmatic and accept it as an article of faith,
then questioning it becomes tauntamont to heresy.

I leave readers to decide which is operational here.

I'm forever interested in how those of Harry's persuasion would go about
determining if there is an audible difference between 2 devices. The
question is always the same. Can you hear a difference between 2
presentations? You can listen as long as you wish; you can ask other
opinions; you can switch between them slowly or quickly; you can take notes;
you can change the source material, etc., etc. The only things you cannot
do is peek or make measurements. IOW, you have to make your choices on the
basis of what you hear.

To my way of thinking, ABX seems to be one of the more sensitive methods of
making such a determination. But if you don't, suggest something else. I'm
certainly open to suggestions.

One last point: DBT seems to be the gold standard for evaluating most
everything else. Why should high fidelity audio be an exception?

Norm Strong

Harry Lavo

wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
wrote in message

[...]

Norman, I've explained in detail here and on other forums exactly how a
blind, monadic test would be used to detect and define (statistically) a
difference, if it existed. Then ABX could be tested to see if it revealed
those differences.

Many of these questions have been dicussed before. Using an ABX is NOT
equivalent to DBT as is used in drug testing.

The ABX machine itself is a limitation, especially if interconnect is
neing evaluated. How good are the contacts? How good is the internal
mating?

The problem in any audio evaluation is that we MUST rely on audio
memory. True DBT (such as drug DBT) has no such limitation. It is
IMPOSSIBLE to listen simultaneously to two different components. One is
always listening to one or the other, while holding in one's memory the
sound of the other.

I have heard differences between various interconnects. I performed
medium-term listening in the dark, so that my sense of hearing could
hone in on the matter at hand. Evaluative listening undertaken with the
lights on is not as precise, beacause the brain is occupied with
vision, which is very demanding on the brain. 'Going dark' is VERY
revealing. Those who SWEAR they cannot hear differences in cables
should try it!