jw007

Default How much fiberglass = MDF

I am thinking of building a box in my spare tire well. I don't have
much depth, so I need all that I have.I have 2 Punch 10" woofers. I
was thinking of building the bottom of the box from fiberglass. That
would give me plenty of depth for the speakers, maybe even enought to
angle the speakers a bit for looks. If I had to use MDF I could fit
1/2" but I doubt I could use the 3/4" that is reccommended for 10's or
bigger.
Can anyone tell me how many layers of fiberglass I would need?

Also, Is wooven matt better (more dense) than the chop matt type of
fiberglass?

Thanks,
Jason
Daniel Snooks

jw007 wrote
I am thinking of building a box in my spare tire well. I don't have
much depth, so I need all that I have.I have 2 Punch 10" woofers. I
was thinking of building the bottom of the box from fiberglass. That
would give me plenty of depth for the speakers, maybe even enought to
angle the speakers a bit for looks. If I had to use MDF I could fit
1/2" but I doubt I could use the 3/4" that is reccommended for 10's or
bigger.
Can anyone tell me how many layers of fiberglass I would need?

Also, Is wooven matt better (more dense) than the chop matt type of
fiberglass?

Thanks,
Jason

You could just dynamat the well and bolt the front (top) baffle of 3/4 MDF
to the trunk with a bead of silicone. That would maximize the airspace. I
suppose if you didn't want to bolt through the floor of the trunk you could
glass the baffle right to the metal. Woven mat is more flexible.

Dan

Scott Johnson

"SF" wrote in message
nk.net...
That will work ONLY if you get the entire wheel well sealed, with no air
leaks at all.

Any air leaks will eventually destroy your sub.

um, no. it won't.

jeffc

"Warren Bryant" wrote in message

How would it 'destroy' the driver?

I assume he didn't literally mean it would destroy the sub, I assume he
meant it would destroy its performance. The only possibility for real
damage I suppose would be due to excursion control by the damping factor of
a sealed enclosure, but I doubt it would matter. Anyway, I'd drop the
fiberglass idea if it were me. They use MDF for a reason. I'd take the hit
on the small amount of enclosure space you'd lose if you are truly maxed out
for space down to the quarter inch. I doubt it would matter much.

Daniel Snooks

SF wrote
That will work ONLY if you get the entire wheel well sealed, with no air
leaks at all.

Any air leaks will eventually destroy your sub.

A fiberglass bottom would be better.

I'm sorry, and where will the air leaks come from? The wheel well is stamped
from a single sheet of metal. My point is that the 3/16 " thickness of the
well is MORE then sufficiently stiff (especially given the molded contours)
to constitute an enclosure. Certainly much stronger then fiberglass or MDF.
Dynamat it to kill vibrations and you're golden.

Dan

Scott Johnson

"jw007" wrote in message
news
3/8" of fiberglass seems REALLY thick. Thats about thick as a small
boat hull. How could these guys get those nice looking rounded boxes
with such a thick layer of glass.
I was thinking 4 layers of matt ?
Jason

Not for the entire enclosure, just the mounting flange for the sub(s). 4
layers of glass would suffice for the enclosure walls, possibly less if
there are stiffening ridges included.

Fiberglass Robert Easton Car Audio 3 July 22nd 04 07:28 AM
Working with fiberglass?? Robert Easton Car Audio 2 June 23rd 04 02:31 PM
Creating fiberglass dash Mike Car Audio 0 June 9th 04 08:34 PM
Fiberglass info Dave Car Audio 1 April 17th 04 09:30 AM
which method for fiberglass actually works? Kevin McMurtrie Car Audio 5 July 31st 03 12:12 AM