Bob Newheart

Default is quality PC soundcard relevant to editing and burning digital sound?

Hi all,

I have a mini-DV tape with a nature sounds soundtrack I would like to
capture, edit (basically copy several times to make a longer track), and
burn on CD. As the soundtrack is digital and will be captured through
firewire, edited digitally, and burned on audio CD, it appears to me that
the quality of my soundcard has no influence in any way on this process
(i.e. a crappy one can generate a hiss in playback but the sound card is not
in the chain of DVtape-to-PC-to-CD).

Am I correct here?

Many thanks,

BN

Ethan Winer

Bob,

As the soundtrack is digital and will be captured through firewire ... it

appears to me that the quality of my soundcard has no influence

Yes, you are correct.

--Ethan

Arny Krueger

wereoboy wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Robert Morein wrote:

However, if you wish to use filters or noise reduction, or choose
clips based upon quality comparisons, then you need a decent card.

Completely wrong. What you need is a good editor. The sound card is
just an interface and it provides no filters, noise reduction or
other editing facilities unless some software happens to be packaged
with it.

Completely wrong interpretation of what I said.

First off, there is no record of a previous post by "weroboy" that I
commented on. So, I can't have possibly wrongly interpreted what you said
"weroboy" since I've not commented on anything that you wrote.

Secondly, it's too bad I've got this hang up about reading English as it is
written. If that was indeed you speaking under a different false name, then
you used the word "card". No "card" is necessarily needed.

In order to HEAR and JUDGE, one needs a good sound card.

Not necessarily, In order to edit all you need is some kind of a working
audio interface. These days most modern PCs come with an audio interface on
the motherboard.

As you point out, the card is not involved in the processing, only in the

JUDGING..

What card? No sound card is required, just a chip on the motherboard that is
no doubt already there.

Robert Morein

Robert Morein wrote:

[...]

The response was made by me.
Even you, Arny Krueger, have documented differences in sound cards.
In order to audition the sound, a high level of quality is required.
Any filter with adjustable parameters has tradeoffs in the application.
Since the result of filtering is usually subject to subjective judgement,
the quality of the DAC matters.

I have a modern laptop that appears to have excellent quality.
On the other hand, a Slot A Athlon I used until recently had audio quality
that was extremely poor.
Although it is likely that the user has a good DAC, it is not certain.
Therefore, it is worth bringing to his attention that the DAC, wherever it
may be located, should be a good one.

Arny Krueger

Robert Morein wrote:

Even you, Arny Krueger, have documented differences in sound cards.

Insult intended by phrase "even you" noted.

BTW, that would be audio interfaces, not just sound cards.

In order to audition the sound, a high level of quality is required.

In order to mix and edit you need a reasonable rendition of the sound.

Any filter with adjustable parameters has tradeoffs in the
application. Since the result of filtering is usually subject to
subjective judgment, the quality of the DAC matters.

Right, but you don't need a LynxTWO to mix.

I have a modern laptop that appears to have excellent quality.
On the other hand, a Slot A Athlon I used until recently had audio
quality that was extremely poor.

An ancient historical artifact.

Although it is likely that the user has a good DAC, it is not certain.

He's got ears, right? If it sounds bad then its up him to take appropriate
steps.

Therefore, it is worth bringing to his attention that the DAC,
wherever it may be located, should be a good one.

Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

Robert Morein

Robert Morein wrote:

[...]

The above is not a technical comment.

Geoff Wood

Hi all,

I have a mini-DV tape with a nature sounds soundtrack I would like to
capture, edit (basically copy several times to make a longer track),
and burn on CD. As the soundtrack is digital and will be captured
through firewire, edited digitally, and burned on audio CD, it
appears to me that the quality of my soundcard has no influence in
any way on this process (i.e. a crappy one can generate a hiss in
playback but the sound card is not in the chain of
DVtape-to-PC-to-CD).

Am I correct here?

Yes, except that your editing decisions may be flawed if based on the sound
you hear froma crap soundcard.

geoff

Geoff Wood

Arny Krueger wrote:
Robert Morein wrote:

Right, but you don't need a LynxTWO to mix.

But you wouldn't want a Vibra 16 either.

I have a modern laptop that appears to have excellent quality.

Mine is crap (HP Presario, or is that Pavillion ?) . EVen listening to a CD
on headphones is unsatisfactory bbecause of hiss and insufficient drive. My
Transit USB is infintiely better.

geoff