Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #9   Report Post  
Posted to rec.audio.pro
external usenet poster

Default reactions to MP3, Red Book, and high-resolution recordings

On 5/09/2014 10:15 a.m., wrote:
geoff wrote: "- show quoted text -
You've heard of The Loudness War, but unfortunately appear to repeatedly
confuse it with totally unrelated factors and topics.

geoff "

No I haven't.

These are facts: Both so-called remasters and high-res reissues have had loudness-style dynamics processing and makeup gain applied to them. Not in very instance, but on a lot of them. You don't have to believe it, but I have the DAW screen shots to prove it. The 20th anniversary high-res reissue of Nevermind:
http://www.audiostream.com/content/h...oads-nevermind was a good example of "making it sound different enough" for fans to rebuy the thing.

So when someone on this thread brings up an off-topic issue(surround sound), I'm damn well going to suggest fixing bad mastering practices - client-driven or not - before moving on to surround versions of releases in any resolution.

Dude - all that has NOTHING to do with the media. It has to do with
production.

geoff