Stewart Pinkerton

Default Bad Scientist Alert!

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:13:48 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

"StuWelwood" wrote in message

Dick Pierce wrote:

Kind readers, witness Mr. Morein describing ME as a member of the
"bull**** club," when he a) quotes the mirror size quite incorrectly
(it's a 2.4 meter Ritchey-Chretien all-mirror system, that's 94 inches)
AND while he might be have passing familiarity with the term Focault
test, he is clearly unfamiliar with the fact that Focault knife-edge
testing was NOT used for figure verification.

The reason I mentioned it is your preposterous claim that it would be
impossible to test the optical system on the ground.

Caught with your ass in the wringer again, eh Bob? :-)

Dick Pierce

"Robert Morein" wrote in message ...
"Dick Pierce" wrote in message
om...
No. It's an impassioned plea for all the fakes who think they are real
scientists to stop pontificating.

Ah, you mean like when someone states that the 2.4 meter Hubble
telescope has a diameter of 40 inches? Or that a simple "Focault
knife-edge test" is the preferred method

I did not say that.

Mr. Morein was seen to write:

"The telescope mirror is 40 inches in diameter, and the
Focault knife-edge test would have easily detected the
abberration in the assembled system."

Is Mr. Morein prepared to tell NASA that their 2.4 meter telescope
is really only 40" in diameter?

Arny Krueger

From: (Dick Pierce)
Date: 10/29/2003 8:40 AM Mountain Standard Time

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

Dick, I didn't realize you're a member of the bull**** club as
well. The telescope mirror is 40 inches in diameter, and the
Focault knife-edge test would have easily detected the
aberration in the assembled system.

Kind readers, witness Mr. Morein describing ME as a member of the
"bull**** club," when he a) quotes the mirror size quite
incorrectly (it's a 2.4 meter Ritchey-Chretien all-mirror system,
that's 94 inches) AND while he might be have passing familiarity
with the term Focault test, he is clearly unfamiliar with the fact
that Focault knife-edge testing was NOT used for figure
verification.

I've confirmed this claim. Morein really did say that, and I don't see where
he corrected himself or acknowledged his error.

It's a clear-cut but trivial error - the sort of thing that it is best to
admit, correct and move on. I don't see where Morein did that. I've made
mistakes like this dozens of times on Usenet, and done exactly what I'm
recommending to Morein.

Furthermore, Morien responded to the attempt to correct with a
deceptive-appearing post that contains number of references on the general
topic. But, they don't address the specific issue. Thus, it appears that
Morein IS what he says he abhors.

Noted. He also knows little about science, engineering, or audio.

I think Morien knows *something* but somehow when it comes to audio it's all
jumbled together wrong. For example, he's criticized my technical comments
about power amps by arguing that I don't own enough power amps ( I do own
upwards of a dozen) to know what I'm talking about.

I can't imagine how embarrassing it must have been for Morein to be
nationally-known as the guy who tried to sue for a PhD from Drexel in the
U.S. Supreme Court, and got rebuffed.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/l...ws/4853918.htm

http://supreme.usatoday.findlaw.com/...022403pzor.htm

http://news.thetriangle.org/2003/03/14/morein.html

http://www.pittnews.com/vnews/displa.../3e2244ff0fd15

http://www.nacua.org/jcul/JCUL_Witho...8_jcul_311.pdf

Obviously there was a sharp disagreement over the value of Morein's
intellectual property. Several of these articles describe Morien as being
tenacious to a fault, which is something that he's accused Dick and I of.
Thus, it again appears that Morein IS what he says he abhors.

The one thing that we do know about him is that he does not appear
to be particularly enamored with Arny.

It's the price of deconstructing obvious errors and false claims. Cheap at
twice the price.

Stu, I've passed the Ph.D preliminary exam in two fields: theoretical
physics and electrical engineering.

Noted that you claim no knowledge of optics or audio...............

Good thing, since Morien's ignorance of even the most basic topics in audio
is apparent in just about every on-topic post he makes (of which there are
thankfully, few).

I'm reminded of Greg Singh's claims that he has a BSEE from a
really-pretty-good midwestern school...

Finally, I'm humbled to be mentioned in the same paragraph as Dick Pierce.
He really knows his audio! I know a few things about audio. I think one of
the strongest arguments for the idea that Morein doesn't "get it" about
audio is that he mentioned the audio knowledge of Dick Pierce and Arny
Krueger in the same paragraph. No comparison. I almost always bow to the
audio knowledge of Dick Pierce, especially about loudspeakers.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

Steven Sullivan

Robert Morein wrote:

Arny claims to be protecting the consumer from himself. It is unquestionably
the case that many audiophiles DO delude themselves into believing that
they hear things that they don't. This usually happens as the hobby gets a
little old, and they seek to repeat the thrill of discovering new things.
But the hobby has many curmudgeons like myself, who own old, discarded
things. I have no stake in preferring any one of my Parasounds to my Haflers
to my Acoustats. I chose these amplifiers a long time ago, after passing
over others. They are not new, and they do not thrill me, and when I'm done
switching around, I have just as many as I started with. Arny may claim that
I am still contaminated with my own humanity, but it is hard to find my
motive.

Alrighty, then. If you *haven't* confirmed audible differences between your
preferred amps, in a level-matched
DBT, as a dispassionate scientist would, then you'll agree in all humility
that your preferences might not be based *at all* on difference between
sounds of the amps, and abide by that ambiguity. If you *have*, you'll offer
an account of your tests and results,
for the benefit of the community of other aspiring dispassionate scientists.

I am reminded of the mistake NASA made with the Hubble Space Telescope. Each
optic was rigorously checked, but they didn't have the money to put the
thing through a test on the ground. Good minds made a terrible mistake.

Mr. Krueger and others *have* done tests 'on the ground' of amps, though.
Apparently these lead them to believe that amps are likely to sound the
same. This is not the same as claiming that amps will never sound different,
or that all amps will necessarily sound the same.
Nor is it bad reasoning or a 'terrible mistake' to be *skeptical* of a
claim of audible difference between certain components,
given the results of 'tests on the ground* that have been done, as well
as what is known about human hearing.

--
-S.

Steven Sullivan

Robert Morein wrote:

From http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~vwen/cla...0/cs294-8/hw1/

from Risk Digest, Volume 15, Issue 14
There were three test rigs built for that mirror, and
two of them reported the error. It happened that the third was considered
the most accurate, so management -- under considerable pressure -- ignored
the results from the other two.

from Houston Chronicle, Nov. 28, 1990
The manufacturer, Perkin-Elmer, did not assign its best people to
telescope construction and "there was a surprising lack of participation
by optical experts with experience in the manufacture of large telescopes,"
the investigators' final report said. Portions of the report had been
leaked earlier.

"There were at least three cases where there was clear evidence that
a problem was developing and it was missed all three times," said Dr. Lew
Allen, director of the space agency's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in
Pasadena, Calif., who directed the study.

Let's retrace why the Hubble was even brought into this thread.
Earlier you chastised Mr. Krueger by likening him to
Hubble scientists who had not tested their craft 'on the ground'.
But here it seems the Hubble was indeed tested on the ground...and the
results were ignored.

--

-S.

Steven Sullivan

Default Setting up a two amp system

Robert Morein wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

[snip]

Given that you don't do bias-controlled listening tests Bob, who knows?

Given that you deny the experience of thousands of perceptive audiophiles
with a closed mind and a contemptous attitude, you are a BAD SCIENTIST.

What is the experiecne of thousands of perceptive psychoacousticians in this
matter, I wonder?

--

-S.

Arny Krueger

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

Robert Morein wrote:

Arny claims to be protecting the consumer from himself.

Morein is making this up as he goes along.

It is unquestionably the case that many audiophiles DO delude

themselves
into believing that they hear things that they don't. This usually
happens as the hobby gets a little old, and they seek to repeat the
thrill of discovering new things. But the hobby has many curmudgeons
like myself, who own old, discarded things. I have no stake in
preferring any one of my Parasounds to my Haflers to my Acoustats. I
chose these amplifiers a long time ago, after passing over others.
They are not new, and they do not thrill me, and when I'm done
switching around, I have just as many as I started with. Arny may
claim that I am still contaminated with my own humanity, but it is
hard to find my motive.

I get this impression that Morein thinks he's on trial. He's not. In my
book, what's on trial is audio equipment, not people. Since people aren't on
trial, I don't have to find any motive in any person. I'm primarily
interested in the audible properties of amplifiers, and that is that.

Alrighty, then. If you *haven't* confirmed audible differences
between your preferred amps, in a level-matched
DBT, as a dispassionate scientist would, then you'll agree in all
humility that your preferences might not be based *at all* on
difference between sounds of the amps, and abide by that ambiguity.

If Morein has done level-matched bias-controlled listening tests of his
power amps, he's been doing an outstanding job of keeping it a secret.

If you *have*, you'll offer an account of your tests and results,
for the benefit of the community of other aspiring dispassionate
scientists.

I've been challenging Morein on that point for months, but he has nothing
but posturing and distractions to offer. He brags about his audio expertise,
but you don't have to be an audio guru to do a level-matched,
bias-controlled listening test.

I am reminded of the mistake NASA made with the Hubble Space
Telescope. Each optic was rigorously checked, but they didn't have
the money to put the thing through a test on the ground. Good minds
made a terrible mistake.

Mr. Krueger and others *have* done tests 'on the ground' of amps,
though.

Darn right!

Apparently these lead them to believe that amps are likely to
sound the same.

Very many power amps sound enough the same that sound quality isn't a
reasonable cause for having a preference.

This is not the same as claiming that amps will
never sound different, or that all amps will necessarily sound the
same.

Right, but don't try to tell that to the DBT critics!

Nor is it bad reasoning or a 'terrible mistake' to be
*skeptical* of a claim of audible difference between certain
components, given the results of 'tests on the ground* that have been
done, as well as what is known about human hearing.

I've patiently been explaining this to Morein for years.

Here's an example of one Morein's typical insightful comments about my
explanation of ABX back in 1998:

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=35...40netreach.net

That was more than 5 years ago!

Robert Morein

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

[snip]

Mr. Krueger and others *have* done tests 'on the ground' of amps, though.
Apparently these lead them to believe that amps are likely to sound the
same. This is not the same as claiming that amps will never sound

different,
or that all amps will necessarily sound the same.
Nor is it bad reasoning or a 'terrible mistake' to be *skeptical* of a
claim of audible difference between certain components,
given the results of 'tests on the ground* that have been done, as well
as what is known about human hearing.

The above statement is one which I do not find violent disagreement.

It is not what Arny Krueger claims. My current understanding is that Arny
Krueger has tested five amplifiers which he has himself represent the upper
strata of amplifiers. Having found no audible difference between these
amplifiers, he calls this confirmation of the theory that "all properly
operating amplifiers of an equivalent power class sound the same." As far as
I know, he has never tested or owned any of the amplifiers I use.

Now I am also an objective truth seeker. I believe that numbers can properly
quantify amplifier performance -- provided that they are suitable
parameters.

Is testing five amplifiers and pronouncing the result "gold" better than not
testing at all?
It is a bad error to conduct what is at best a preliminary study and promote
it as an authoritative result.

ABX is an important methodology, and it can be useful for testing audio
components. I would never advise someone not to use if if available.
Recently, I suggested that if ABX is not available, which is almost always
the case, then a buyer should perform sighted comparisons. If he doesn't
have level matching, he should still do it.

There is the widespread belief that level matching is required to obtain any
useful comparison. I now recount a recent case in which I selected an
amplifier for Polk LX-15 loudspeakers. The first amplifiers tried were a
pair of bridged Hafler XL-280's. The presentation subjectively lacked detail
unless the music was played at a level approaching 90 dB. I then tried an
Acoustat TNT-200. The presentation subjectively was detailed at a listening
level approximately 75 dB.

In this comparison, I had to blast my ears off with one amplifier(s). With
the other, I was able to enjoy the music at a quiet level.

"ABX" is not a stamp of quality. It is part of an experimental procedure
which has many other elements. A defect of any of these elements, including
insidious prejudice by the experimenter, is likely to cause a false result.
It is for this reason that I assert that Arny Krueger is a BAD SCIENTIST.

Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

[snip]

Mr. Krueger and others *have* done tests 'on the ground' of amps,
though. Apparently these lead them to believe that amps are likely
to sound the same. This is not the same as claiming that amps will
never sound different, or that all amps will necessarily sound the
same. Nor is it bad reasoning or a 'terrible mistake' to be
*skeptical* of a claim of audible difference between certain
components, given the results of 'tests on the ground* that have
been done, as well as what is known about human hearing.

The above statement is one which I do not find violent disagreement.

That's not at all saying that you agree with it even one iota, Morein.

It is not what Arny Krueger claims.

You don't get to speak for me, Morien. Sullivan has been reading my posts on
RAHE for years. He's read the posts my close associate and friend Tom
Nousaine makes there. He knows the true story, not the one made up by RAO
trolls.

My current understanding is that
Arny Krueger has tested five amplifiers which he has himself
represent the upper strata of amplifiers.

Wrong. I' ve tested dozens of amplifiers, 5 of which I chose to portray on
www.pcabx.com.

Having found no audible
difference between these amplifiers, he calls this confirmation of
the theory that "all properly operating amplifiers of an equivalent
power class sound the same."

Wrong again. It turns out that the www.pcabx.com web site portrays these
amplifiers in such a way that just about anybody with normal hearing and a
fairly good monitoring system can hear audible differences most
significantly due to audio signals being passed through them. I leave it for
the listeners to determine what they will make of what they hear.

You know Morein you've thoroughly discredited yourself by misrepresenting
www.pcabx.com in this fashion. The web site is completely free and open to
the public. It's visited by thousands of people every month. Nobody needs to
be deceived by your gross misrepresentations of the web site or its
contents. All they have to do is visit it and see for themselves.

I would like to see just one independent party come foreword and
substantiate your claims with quotes from google or the www.pcabx.com web
site.

As far as I know, he has never tested or owned any of the amplifiers I use.

I don't even know what amplifiers you own or use. Maybe you've mentioned
what they were in passing. I'm not trying to prove anything in particular
with the PCABX web site except that DBTs are interesting and effective ways
to hear differences and educate people about the process of hearing
differences. I don't see how it is possible to visit www.pcabx.com and
follow it with any degree of care and sincerity without hearing differences.

Now I am also an objective truth seeker. I believe that numbers can
properly quantify amplifier performance -- provided that they are
suitable parameters.

So Morien, do tell us what you know for sure about these parameters and how
you have investigated their measurement and audibility?

Is testing five amplifiers and pronouncing the result "gold" better
than not testing at all?

Straw man argument. This is a grotesque, nearly insane misrepresentation of
my activities and statements. I

It is a bad error to conduct what is at best a preliminary study and
promote it as an authoritative result.

As soon as you find someone who has done this Morein, give 'em heck!

ABX is an important methodology, and it can be useful for testing
audio components. I would never advise someone not to use if
available.

So, its been available to you for at least three years, Morien. Tell us
about how you used it.

Recently, I suggested that if ABX is not available, which
is almost always the case, then a buyer should perform sighted
comparisons. If he doesn't have level matching, he should still do it.

Non-level matched listening tests are a travesty of the idea of a fair
comparison. Furthermore Morein, given your claims about your own scientific
expertise, that you haven't done your own level-matched, bias controlled
test is an indictment of your own claims of expertise.

There is the widespread belief that level matching is required to
obtain any useful comparison. I now recount a recent case in which I
selected an amplifier for Polk LX-15 loudspeakers. The first
amplifiers tried were a pair of bridged Hafler XL-280's. The
presentation subjectively lacked detail unless the music was played
at a level approaching 90 dB. I then tried an Acoustat TNT-200. The
presentation subjectively was detailed at a listening level
approximately 75 dB.

You're just throwing numbers around.

In this comparison, I had to blast my ears off with one amplifier(s).
With the other, I was able to enjoy the music at a quiet level.

Speaks to state of mind or state of amplifier?

"ABX" is not a stamp of quality.

In fact, the use of DBTs under specific conditions is an
internationally-recognized requirement for a reliable, credible listening
tests. I cite EBU document BS 1116-1, available from the EBU publications
web site.

It is part of an experimental
procedure which has many other elements.

These other elements are also well-defined.

A defect of any of these
elements, including insidious prejudice by the experimenter, is
likely to cause a false result. It is for this reason that I assert
that Arny Krueger is a BAD SCIENTIST.

Say what you will, Morein. Your own misleading, false words and your
egregious public behavior indict you. Many would say that I do wrong by
giving you even enough credibility to bother to deny your false claims in
public. My apologies to them, they may well be right.

Robert Morein

Robert Morein wrote:

From http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~vwen/cla...0/cs294-8/hw1/

[...]

The individual components were tested, but the criticism was made that they
were not tested as a system.
A system test would have required a completely different setup, which would
have forced redundancy in the test.

It's also worth noting that the simple Focault knife-edge test could have
been performed with a 100 watt lightbulb in a tin can, with a pinhole
creating an approximation of a parallel beam. Richard Pierce correctly notes
that this is not a true infinitely distance point source, but when used as
part of an argument, it makes a fallacy. The error in the primary mirror was
very large; it was easily detectable, but it was not, because the corrector
used in the interference test had an equal and opposite error. The Focault
test could not prove the mirror was perfect, but it could show the 50 micron
error that actually occurred. I cite this as an example of overconfidence in
an experimental procedure; Arny Krueger's extreme, overt bias toward the
indistinguishability of "properly operating amplifiers of equal power
classes" creates an atmosphere where the investigator cannot be relied upon
to vigilantly search out procedural and experimental flaws that would
invalidate or challenge his findings.

I have read a statement in a post by Arny Krueger, which paraphrased, says
"I've tested five good amplifiers. I don't have to test every amp on the
planet." This statement does not demonstrate due diligence to me.

Another facet of what I consider Arny Krueger's defective use of implication
comes from his study and demonstration of the audibility of various types of
harmonic and IM distortion, which he demonstrates via downloadable ".wav"
files. These files are demonstrations of long-accepted facts, and the
presentation of them is a valuable contribution. However, use of them to
prove his assertion about the indistinguishability of amplifiers is bad
science, because it assumes that amplifiers are adequately characterized by
these parameters.

This subject would not be of importance to me, were it not for easily
repeatable personal experiences regarding this question. The scientific
method does not allow anything to be proved by personal experience, nor does
it require that a theory be invalidated. However, there are many thousands
of indivduals like myself, who have these repeatable, personal experiences.
As a group, we are told to disavow, to ignore, and repudiate what we
personally experience, because it is in contradiction with an alleged
"fact." And these experiences are not transient, fleeting phenomena. They
are repeatable whenever we switch the wires.

Can you see how disturbing it is that we are literally told to ignore what
we hear, to pay it no heed, because it contradicts Arny Krueger's "fact" ?
It is profoundly disturbing for anyone to be told he cannot hear what he
heard, he cannot see what he sees, or cannot feel what he feels. This is why
Arny Krueger is a constant irritant on the newsgroup rec.audio.opinion.

My first course in graduate electrodynamics was used to impart some
scientific philosophy. Physics is the most exact of the sciences, yet you
might be surprised at the humility of physicist's claim for truth is.
Physicists do not claim that the known physical laws are valid everywhere;
they claim only that they appear to hold where they are measured. With a few
notable exceptions, physicsts avoid the use of the term "physical law". It
is considered more proper to say, simply, that "the truth is in the
equations." Add no words to Maxwell's equations; the only value is in the
predictive ability. The concept of force does not exist in modern physics.
Now the concept of objective truth is under attack as well, as a consequence
of research into qbit computing.

From the physicist's point of view, Arny Krueger has put a lot of words on
top of his equations. He has a table with five or so amplifiers, and results
he has obtained in tests of their distinguishability, and he should leave it
at that. By making sweeping statements, he has dangerously extrapolated, and
made a simple table of results into a political rant.

There are numerous stories of human senses that contradict the "established"
limits of perception. In World War II, fighter pilots relied on visual
sighting to detect enemy aircraft at a great distance. Some pilots were
exceptionally good at this, spotting individual fighters at a distance of 50
miles. This is discussed in the biography of Chuck Yeager.

Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

I have read a statement in a post by Arny Krueger, which paraphrased,
says "I've tested five good amplifiers. I don't have to test every
amp on the planet." This statement does not demonstrate due diligence
to me.

I denied this yesterday Morein, and you're repeating it today. How reading
disabled are you, Morein?

Just to make it clearer - I've tested dozens of amplifiers over the years -
both with test equipment and also with listening tests.

Another facet of what I consider Arny Krueger's defective use of
implication comes from his study and demonstration of the audibility
of various types of harmonic and IM distortion, which he demonstrates
via downloadable ".wav" files. These files are demonstrations of
long-accepted facts, and the presentation of them is a valuable
contribution. However, use of them to prove his assertion about the
indistinguishability of amplifiers is bad science, because it assumes
that amplifiers are adequately characterized by these parameters.

I denied this yesterday Morein, and you're repeating it today. How reading
disabled are you, Morein?

Just to make it clearer, my position on amplifiers is that some amplifiers
sound different and some don't.

This subject would not be of importance to me, were it not for easily
repeatable personal experiences regarding this question.

You don't match levels Morein, you don't control bias. All you've shown is
that its possible to perceive that amplifiers sound different if your
experimental controls are crappy enough.

The scientific method does not allow anything to be proved by personal
experience, nor does it require that a theory be invalidated.

However the scientific method does require that a theory be falsifiable and
that irrelevant variables like level matching and personal bias be
controlled. You've failed again, Morein.

However, there are many thousands of indivduals like myself, who have
these repeatable, personal experiences.

OK, two power amps playing at different levels can be distinguished when the
identity of the amps can also be determined by looking at them. Don't go
looking for any Nobel prizes with that kind of childish "Science" Morein.

As a group, we are told to
disavow, to ignore, and repudiate what we personally experience,
because it is in contradiction with an alleged "fact."

No Morein, you're told to clean up your own personal act if you want to
pretend to be working under the banner of "Science"

And these
experiences are not transient, fleeting phenomena. They are
repeatable whenever we switch the wires.

OK, two power amps playing at different levels can be distinguished when the
identity of the amps can also be determined by looking at them. Don't go
looking for any Nobel prizes with that kind of childish "Science" Morein. My
recollection is that a well-taught seventh grader should be able to poke
holes in your work.

Can you see how disturbing it is that we are literally told to ignore
what we hear, to pay it no heed, because it contradicts Arny
Krueger's "fact" ?

Which fact of mine might that be? The one that says that some amplifiers
sound different and some don't? Or is it my claim that two power amps
playing at significantly different volume levels can be always be
distinguished, particularly when the identity of the amps can also be
determined by looking at them.

It is profoundly disturbing for anyone to be told
he cannot hear what he heard, he cannot see what he sees, or cannot
feel what he feels. This is why Arny Krueger is a constant irritant
on the newsgroup rec.audio.opinion.

Morein the cause of your failure as a PhD candidate in a scientific area
becomes very clear when the horrific non-science and fabrications you
promote on this newsgroup are examined.

My first course in graduate electrodynamics was used to impart some
scientific philosophy. Physics is the most exact of the sciences, yet
you might be surprised at the humility of physicist's claim for truth
is. Physicists do not claim that the known physical laws are valid
everywhere; they claim only that they appear to hold where they are
measured. With a few notable exceptions, physicsts avoid the use of
the term "physical law". It is considered more proper to say, simply,
that "the truth is in the equations." Add no words to Maxwell's
equations; the only value is in the predictive ability. The concept
of force does not exist in modern physics. Now the concept of
objective truth is under attack as well, as a consequence of research
into qbit computing.

That's all fine and good Morein, but how does it justify your sloppy
amplifier listening evaluations, misrepresentations of my clearly stated
position, and abuse of the word "Science"?

From the physicist's point of view, Arny Krueger has put a lot of
words on top of his equations.

Except there are no equations.

He has a table with five or so
amplifiers, and results he has obtained in tests of their
distinguishability, and he should leave it at that.

In fact I have published no formal results of listening tests for those
amplifiers except to claim that anybody who listens to the wave files they
download from those pages will hear audible differences that are clearly
traceable to musical sounds being passed through said amplifiers.

By making
sweeping statements, he has dangerously extrapolated, and made a
simple table of results into a political rant.

What is "sweeping" about saying that some amplifiers sound different and
some don't?

There are numerous stories of human senses that contradict the
"established" limits of perception. In World War II, fighter pilots
relied on visual sighting to detect enemy aircraft at a great
distance. Some pilots were exceptionally good at this, spotting
individual fighters at a distance of 50 miles. This is discussed in
the biography of Chuck Yeager.

And the point is?

Peter Larsen

Robert Morein wrote:

[omitted]

You appear to postulate that Arny has claimed to constitute A scientist.
It would assist greatly in making sense of your thread if you could
substantiate that claim. To my knowledge - based on incomplete reading
of the internet - Arny comes across as a computer technician/sound
engineer and as an excellent source of knowhow, but I have no
recollection of him ever claiming to be a scientist.

[dangling remnants of topposting discarded]

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Robert Morein

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

[omitted]

You appear to postulate that Arny has claimed to constitute A scientist.
It would assist greatly in making sense of your thread if you could
substantiate that claim. To my knowledge - based on incomplete reading
of the internet - Arny comes across as a computer technician/sound
engineer and as an excellent source of knowhow, but I have no
recollection of him ever claiming to be a scientist.

[dangling remnants of topposting discarded]

It is my impression that, as you say, Arny is a pretty competent engineer
and, as you say, an excellent source of knowhow.

On the group rec.audio.opinion, however, Arny promotes himself as someone
who has done definitive studies of audibility of amplifiers, sound card, and
so forth. He chose this newsgroup because it has many people who are
completely subjective and are incapable of performing any kind of
experiment. The abundance of snake oil polarized Arny, but in doing so, he
committed an error of extremism himself, and lost his objectivity.

Some of his work appears to be decent work, and some of it does not.
His claims about the audibility of amplifiers seem to be compromised by
small sample size and a prejudicial attitude.
If you look at his posts on rec.audio.opinion regarding this subject, they
are highly confrontational.

To be a scientist is not like being an attorney. Arny's attitude is more
like that of an attorney than a scientist. He casts himself as an advocate
of the point of view that "all properly operating amplifiers of the same
power class" sound the same. An attorney is encouraged in his advocacy to
use every trick of debate or logic to promote a point of view favorable to
his client.

By contrast, a scientist has an obligation to search for contradictions, to
openly seek them out and investigate them. He is not an advocate of a
theory; his job is to search out the truth.

When there is confusion in the mind of the investigator between above two
roles, it becomes impossible to trust his validation of the myriad details
of an experimental protocol. The most trustworthy investigator is one who
doesn't care what the outcome is.

The middle ground usually gets lost in these debates. Personally, I am
inclined to think that some amplifiers are very nearly perfect, and as a
class are not likely to be distinguishable. There may be many other classes
of amplifiers with similar defects, so that class members are not
distinguishable. From my personal experience, I am inclined to think that
most amplifiers which are considered to be of very high quality are in fact
not perfect enough to rule out audible differences. The samples in my
possession which are distinguishable to me have excellent specifications,
which to me implies that current specs are not adequate to characterize
amplifiers.

Peter Larsen

Robert Morein wrote:

You appear to postulate that Arny has claimed to constitute A scientist.
It would assist greatly in making sense of your thread if you could
substantiate that claim.

If you look at his posts on rec.audio.opinion regarding this subject, they
are highly confrontational.

I have seen the spill-over from that newsgroup and thus never felt
strongly compelled to devote diskspace to it.

To be a scientist is not like being an attorney. Arny's attitude is more
like that of an attorney than a scientist.

Which is the very same as you yourself stating that postulating that he
is a Bad Scientist is a false and misleading claim. You do not include
any example of Arny claiming to constitute A scientist nor do you prove
by example that he has falsified test results, which happens to be the
general definition of a bad scientist.

Thank you for the clarification. Isolated from the assertion you try to
get across there are technnical points we can agree on and are good
common sense, but they have no relevance for the main point you try to
promote and do not in any way substantiate and/or support it, which is
why I have omitted them and skipped commenting on them.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Arny Krueger

Robert Morein wrote:

[omitted]

You appear to postulate that Arny has claimed to constitute A
scientist. It would assist greatly in making sense of your thread if
you could substantiate that claim. To my knowledge - based on
incomplete reading of the internet - Arny comes across as a computer
technician/sound engineer and as an excellent source of knowhow, but
I have no recollection of him ever claiming to be a scientist.

[dangling remnants of topposting discarded]

It is my impression that, as you say, Arny is a pretty competent
engineer and, as you say, an excellent source of knowhow.

On the group rec.audio.opinion, however, Arny promotes himself as
someone who has done definitive studies of audibility of amplifiers,
sound card, and so forth.

The word "definitive" would be the author's perception, not anything based
on facts.

He chose this newsgroup because it has many
people who are completely subjective and are incapable of performing
any kind of experiment.

Mr. Morien's ability to read my mind is pretty amazing, isn't it? First off,
I didn't choose RAO, it was simply the first newsgroup that I posted to
until I found out that there are a host of other audio-related newsgroups.
Secondly, I currently post routinely to about a dozen or more audio
newsgroups. Thirdly, Mr. Morien posts to RAO, and claims to be a scientist
or at least a person who has placed himself of other people that he thinks
are scientists. He claims to have competence in various fields of
engineering and science. He claims that he can do a wide variety of
experiments, yet he seems to be incapable of doing a simple level-matched,
bias-controlled listening test, even with the full resources of
www.pcabx.com at his disposal.

The abundance of snake oil polarized Arny,
but in doing so, he committed an error of extremism himself, and lost
his objectivity.

Where did I claim to be objective? For the record I don't think that true
objectivity is possible in humans, including me.

Some of his work appears to be decent work, and some of it does not.

What is the meaning of this?

His claims about the audibility of amplifiers seem to be compromised
by small sample size and a prejudicial attitude.

Since my only claim is that some amplifiers sound different and some don't,
how much of a sample is needed once I've found amplifiers that fit in one
category or the other?

If you look at his posts on rec.audio.opinion regarding this subject,
they are highly confrontational.

As if Mr. Morien's comments aren't highly confrontational?

To be a scientist is not like being an attorney. Arny's attitude is
more like that of an attorney than a scientist. He casts himself as
an advocate of the point of view that "all properly operating
amplifiers of the same power class" sound the same.

I get it, only opinions that Mr. Morien agrees with should be shared on
rec.audio.opinion.

An attorney is
encouraged in his advocacy to use every trick of debate or logic to
promote a point of view favorable to his client.

Actually attorneys aren't supposed to use any trick that compromises justice
and the integrity of the law. Therefore the claim that "An attorney is
encouraged in his advocacy to use every trick of debate or logic to promote
a point of view favorable to his client." is a false claim.

By contrast, a scientist has an obligation to search for
contradictions, to openly seek them out and investigate them. He is
not an advocate of a theory; his job is to search out the truth.

Ironic isn't it that with all his electronics expertise and laboratory full
of sophisticated equipment, Morein can't seem to be able to do a proper
level-matched, bias-controlled, time-synched listening test?

When there is confusion in the mind of the investigator between above
two roles, it becomes impossible to trust his validation of the
myriad details of an experimental protocol. The most trustworthy
investigator is one who doesn't care what the outcome is.

The person who really doesn't care about the outcome of an experiment is
very hard to find. Therefore, experimental protocols are adopted that will
obtain reliable results even when conducted by people who desperately want
results that conform to their previous beliefs.

The middle ground usually gets lost in these debates. Personally, I am
inclined to think that some amplifiers are very nearly perfect, and
as a class are not likely to be distinguishable. There may be many
other classes of amplifiers with similar defects, so that class
members are not distinguishable. From my personal experience, I am
inclined to think that most amplifiers which are considered to be of
very high quality are in fact not perfect enough to rule out audible
differences. The samples in my possession which are distinguishable
to me have excellent specifications, which to me implies that current
specs are not adequate to characterize amplifiers.

The definitive experiments that would support or deny Morein's beliefs would
be level-matched, bias-controlled, and time-synched. There's a detailed,
relatively neutral document from a widely-recognized international standards
group that goes into quite a bit of detail about how to properly do
experiments of this kind. It's called EBU Recommendation BS 1116-2. Let
Morien do experiments that meet this standard group's recommendation and
report his results.

Robert Morein

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

[snip]
Arny wrote:

Since my only claim is that some amplifiers sound different and some

don't,
how much of a sample is needed once I've found amplifiers that fit in one
category or the other?

[snip]

The first part of the above sentence is a quite moderate statement.
The second part, involving sample size, is contemptuous of your duty as a
self declared practitioner of the scientific method.

I retrieved the following phrase from the below post that you authored:
"All good accurate amplifiers sound the same whether they are based on
tubes, bipolar transistors, FETs, ICs or combinations of them.

BAD SCIENCE!

"Accurate" is not a well defined term. Indeed, I would agree with the above
statement, if it were agreed that there are no accurate amplifiers. If the
term is amended to "reasonably accurate", then the boundaries of the class
are in question.

You have not been consistent on the subject. In other posts made by you, you
have made statements about amplifier differentiation I would agree with. It
would appear that the the position you take in a post depends upon who or
what you are arguing about.

Groups
Advanced Groups Search Preferences Groups Help

Groups search result 16 for amplifiers sound same
group:rec.audio.opinion author:Arny author:Krueger

. Industrial, Radio, Audio, Amps, Ham Thousands In Stock. All
Brands . www.vacuumtubes.net Sponsored Links

tube amplifier swiss made . phono-line-pre- & we300b-amplifier with
transformer coupling. . www.da-vinci-audio.com
12AU7 / 5814 / ECC82 . 12AU7 tubes for high end audio. Low prices and
next day shipping. . thetubestore.com

Search Result 16
From: Arny Krueger )
Subject: Tube/Transistor sound
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.audio.opinion
Date: 2003-01-29 19:26:03 PST

"JeffD" wrote in message

Hi -- just a quick question (maybe a stupid one, but I'm curious):
Is there (or has there ever been) a solid-state Hi-Fi stereo amplifier or
receiver that is/was regarded as having a "tube-like" sound quality?

A number of them.

If so, what about its design was responsible for that?

It varied.

I think a good question to ask is whether or not tubed amps and solid state
amps necessarily sound different.

The answer to this question has been investigated over the years and been
found to be "no".

All good accurate amplifiers sound the same whether they are based on tubes,
bipolar transistors, FETs, ICs or combinations of them.

----
Google Home - - Business Solutions - Services & Tools - Jobs, Press, &
Help

Attached Images

From: Arny Krueger )
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.audio.opinion

Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

[snip]
Arny wrote:

Since my only claim is that some amplifiers sound different and some

don't,
how much of a sample is needed once I've found amplifiers that fit
in one category or the other?

[snip]

The first part of the above sentence is a quite moderate statement.
The second part, involving sample size, is contemptuous of your duty
as a self declared practitioner of the scientific method.

I retrieved the following phrase from the below post that you
authored: "All good accurate amplifiers sound the same whether they
are based on tubes, bipolar transistors, FETs, ICs or combinations of
them.

As usual it's an out of context quote. Here's the context:

"I think a good question to ask is whether or not tubed amps and solid state
amps necessarily sound different.

"The answer to this question has been investigated over the years and been
found to be "no".

"All good accurate amplifiers sound the same whether they are based on
tubes,
bipolar transistors, FETs, ICs or combinations of them.

Clearly I was not primarily addressing the idea that all amps sound the same
or they all sound different. I was pointing out that it is possible to build
good amps using a variety of technologies.

BAD SCIENCE!

No, it's all about Morien's inability to read and/or ask for clarifications
if he has relevant questions. It's also about his inability to consider
context.

"Accurate" is not a well defined term.

The phrases "sonically accurate" and "sonic accuracy", which I use often and
was obviously referring to, have a well-defined meaning. If you don't know
what it is, ask!

Indeed, I would agree with the
above statement, if it were agreed that there are no accurate
amplifiers.

There are no perfectly accurate amplifiers but there are a goodly number of
sonically accurate amplifiers.

If the term is amended to "reasonably accurate", then the
boundaries of the class are in question.

Sorry Morien, but the phrase "sonically accurate" has been around for a long
time, and has a well-understood meaning. I'm not going to stop using it, or
derivatives of it because you can't remember what I said in the recent past
and/or are unwilling to ask for clarifications for.

You have not been consistent on the subject.

I try!

In other posts made by
you, you have made statements about amplifier differentiation I would
agree with.

Does that prove that I'm inconsistent, or does it reflect on your inability
to consider context, Morien?

It would appear that the the position you take in a post
depends upon who or what you are arguing about.

I think that with your proven and recently demonstrated ability to
grotesquely misrepresent what I've said Morien, there's nothing that I can
do until you clean up your act!