Scott Dunam

Default Setting up a two amp system

I am a newcomer and have a basic question. Hopefully someone can give
me a quick assist. I want to set up a bi-amped system with an Adcom
545 running each channel, and an Adcom GFP-565 pre.

Is it possible? If so, how do I hook it up? Using Vandersteen 1
speakers.

Thanks for any info.

Scott D.
Robert Morein

"Scott Dunam" wrote in message
om...
I am a newcomer and have a basic question. Hopefully someone can give
me a quick assist. I want to set up a bi-amped system with an Adcom
545 running each channel, and an Adcom GFP-565 pre.

Is it possible? If so, how do I hook it up? Using Vandersteen 1
speakers.

Thanks for any info.

Scott D.

Biamped systems, when identical amps are employed and the crossover within
the speaker is used, are, IMHO, a waste of time.

In the past, people have used amplifiers with different properties for bass
and treble. For example, a woofer amplifier need not have low distortion,
but it should be able to supply high amperage and have a low damping factor.
An amplifier for mid and treble is frequently appreciated by the cognoscenti
for pleasing tonality or definition.

Another reason for biamplification is to avoid the power loss which occurs
in a passive crossover network. To do this, active crossover circuits,
inserted before the amplifiers, are used. These circuits are made
specifically for the particular speaker. The input of an amplifier receives
only low band or high band signals, reducing the total power requirement on
the amp, and it is further reduced by absence of crossover dissipation on
the output. The amplifier is connected directly to the speaker drivers, or
through a simplified network designed to separate only the mid and high
frequencies.

With the equipment you propose to use, however, biamplification is an empty
exercise.

If you're looking for a fun experiment, you could try bridging the Adcoms,
if they allow this. This results in a multiplication of the instantaneous
peak power by a factor of four. While bridging has been questioned as a
general practice, some amplifiers seem to respond well to it. I found that
it made my Hafler Xl280's come alive.

Scott Dunam

I want to set up a bi-amped system with an Adcom
545 running each channel, and an Adcom GFP-565 pre.

Is it possible? If so, how do I hook it up? Using Vandersteen 1
speakers.

snip

[...]

Thanks for the information. I was operating under the idea that with
each amplifier devoted to a channel there would be a cleaner sound,
more power and less noise to each channel. I will look into bridging.

Scott

Rich Andrews

(Scott Dunam) wrote in
om:

[...]

Higher distortion allowable in the bass frequencies is a misconception.

http://www.roger-russell.com/xr250.htm

"My first listening session with the XR250 brought tears to my eyes. This
doesn't usually happen with a new design that's fresh out of the anechoic
chamber and reverberant room tests. The human voice with the LD/HP woofers
is so clear it made the old woofers sound fuzzy and indistinct."

"We then decided to measure IM distortion at a few pairs of frequencies.
The old woofer measured 10% and the new LD/HP woofer was 0.5% under the
same conditions. This kind of difference should be and is clearly
audible."

I have heard the LD/HP woofers and the difference *is* plainly audible.

Arny Krueger

"Rich Andrews" wrote in message
.44...

Higher distortion allowable in the bass frequencies is a misconception.

http://www.roger-russell.com/xr250.htm

"My first listening session with the XR250 brought tears to my eyes. This
doesn't usually happen with a new design that's fresh out of the anechoic
chamber and reverberant room tests. The human voice with the LD/HP woofers
is so clear it made the old woofers sound fuzzy and indistinct."

"We then decided to measure IM distortion at a few pairs of frequencies.
The old woofer measured 10% and the new LD/HP woofer was 0.5% under the
same conditions. This kind of difference should be and is clearly
audible."

I have heard the LD/HP woofers and the difference *is* plainly audible.

I don't doubt it, but I see a need to be careful about which conclusions we
draw from the available data.

According to http://www.roger-russell.com/xr250.htm the XR250's crossover
frequencies are 450 and 1300 Hz. That means that the woofer operates from 20
Hz to 450 Hz. I immediately observe that by most accounts the bass range
does NOT go up to 400 Hz. 400 Hz is very definitely in the midrange. Yes,
lots of loudspeaker systems reproduce 400 Hz with the woofer, but in those
cases we usually say that the woofer is working up into the midrange. In my
book bass is all over when you go up to 200 Hz. 200 Hz is lower midrange,
not bass.

Secondly, Roger tips his hand when he starts talking about IM. It seems
likely that he is talking about IM between frequencies below 100 Hz and
frequencies above 200 Hz, maybe as high as 400 Hz. These are the sorts of
frequencies that speaker designers use to test in cases like these.

So, Roger is talking about bass modulating midrange which is of course a
very serious problem when it happens. But let's call a spade a spade and not
a hoe.

Thirdly, most of the claims I've seen about "Higher distortion allowable in
the bass frequencies..." related to subwoofers, which operate in the range
of 10-120 Hz. Right away we can see that while the upper part of the
subwoofer range overlaps with the lower end of the woofer range, 10-120 Hz
is really quite a different range of frequencies than 20-400 Hz. There's no
midrange at all in the 10-120 Hz range, and this turns out to be quite
relevant.

The justification for the claim that "Higher distortion allowable in the
bass frequencies" is that when bass is reproduced, the bass instrument is
often a solo instrument, or instruments that are playing in close
synchronization. Classic example of music with possibly problematical
content in the 10-120 Hz range is the low pedals on a large pipe organ. At
any rate, with solo sounds, intermodulation is largely irrelevant since only
one sound is being played.

Another example is the combination of (up to) a piano, a bass, and bass
drums. In the either case the bass note(s) are typically played in
synchronization, so you don't have a situation where intermodulation is
going to seriously disrupt the integrity of the sound being played in the
sense that one note is not going to disrupt the continuity of another note
that is being sustained.

This contrasts with the situation where intermodulation is very
problematical, and that is where one note in the midrange is being
sustained, and it is audibly modulated by shorter bass notes that interject
themselves at various points. The ear trains itself to the sustained sound,
and when that sound's nature changes unexpectedly, the trained ear objects.

In the case of solo sounds (even solo sounds that are composites of multiple
instruments) the harmonic content is usually very high. It's not the least
bit unlikely that one or more harmonics has more energy in it than the
fundamental. In this context, nonlinear distortion causes a small shift in
harmonic structure, which the ear seems to accept quite easily.

In the other case, the fact that the midrange note(s) are being periodically
intermodulated (AM of FM distortion or both) by a bass note is very audible,
and for a number of reasons. One reason is the fact that the ear is a lot
more sensitive to midrange than bass, and the bass note doing the
intermodulation may not be as noticeable as the intermodulation that it
causes.

Of course the best situation is the situation where there is no audible
nonlinear distortion. I'm not trying to justify equipment with nonlinear
distortion as a rule. However, because of how they are used, it seems
reasonable to set a higher threshold for concern about nonlinear distortion
at the lowest frequencies in subwoofers. It also seems reasonable to be far
less tolerant of nonlinear distortion in speakers that also reproduce
midrange.

Rich Andrews

"Arny Krueger" wrote in news:ioKdnWnrRfGBvASiRVn-
:

[...]

Arny,

I am going to have to disagree with you on a few points.

Yes,
lots of loudspeaker systems reproduce 400 Hz with the woofer, but in

those
cases we usually say that the woofer is working up into the midrange. In

my
book bass is all over when you go up to 200 Hz. 200 Hz is lower

midrange,
not bass.

How one classes a range of frequencies is really not well defined AFAIC.
In my speakers the midrange is an 8" driver, clearly a woofer for some
people.

Putting that aside you are stating that 200hz is midrange?

Secondly, Roger tips his hand when he starts talking about IM. It seems
likely that he is talking about IM between frequencies below 100 Hz and
frequencies above 200 Hz, maybe as high as 400 Hz. These are the sorts

of
frequencies that speaker designers use to test in cases like these.

So, Roger is talking about bass modulating midrange which is of course a
very serious problem when it happens. But let's call a spade a spade and

not
a hoe.

I don't think Roger is talking about midrange modulation at all. Here is
what he says about the test equipment.

"We also invest in some Bruel & Kjaer acoustic test equipment. Included in
this is a 2305 chart recorder, 2607 measuring amplifier, 1022 oscillator
and 2020 slave filter. The slave filter enables us to make continuous
harmonic distortion measurements. This is very important in loudspeaker
work. In electronics you can measure distortion at 20 Hz, 1kHz and 20kHz.
If it's low you can accurately infer all frequencies in between are
equally low. In speakers this is almost never true. Resonances and breakup
can occur at any frequency and not show up at others. Shortly after that
we add a B&K 1901 tracking frequency multiplier. This unit enables us to
resolve the harmonic distortion measurements into continuous individual
distortion curves--second, third, etc. This measurement technique is
essential in the development of the LP/HP woofer by Carl Van Gelder in
1992."

Nah, your argument doesn't hold up AFAIC.

Thirdly, most of the claims I've seen about "Higher distortion allowable

in
the bass frequencies..." related to subwoofers, which operate in the

range
of 10-120 Hz. Right away we can see that while the upper part of the
subwoofer range overlaps with the lower end of the woofer range, 10-120

Hz
is really quite a different range of frequencies than 20-400 Hz. There's

no
midrange at all in the 10-120 Hz range, and this turns out to be quite
relevant.

But does it? AFAIC subwoofers are not really part of the whole point I
was trying to make. My point is that distortion is plainly audible in
bass frequencies and as such, the statement that high distortion is
permissible is incorrect. If you define bass as 0-200 hz that is your
problem. The fact is that woofers typically extend much higher than 200hz
and expecially the Vandersteen 1.

The justification for the claim that "Higher distortion allowable in the
bass frequencies" is that when bass is reproduced, the bass instrument

is
often a solo instrument, or instruments that are playing in close
synchronization. Classic example of music with possibly problematical
content in the 10-120 Hz range is the low pedals on a large pipe organ.

At
any rate, with solo sounds, intermodulation is largely irrelevant since

only
one sound is being played.

I am not sure what you are listening to Arny, but in my jazz and classical
collection, one bass note played by itself is rare.

[...]

Ah, but acceptance is not the issue and it does not change the fact that
the sound *is* different and that the distortion measurements do support
those audible diffferences.

[...]

The fact of the matter is unchanged Arny. The lower distortion in the
woofers is plainly heard in the upper bass. Now if you wish to say that
it isn't bass but midrange, fine. Whatever the woofer handles is what the
woofer handles no matter what you or I class it as.

When the distortion is as high at 10%, it can't help but be audible. I
would be willing to bet that you could hear the difference plainly.

One last point is that the original posting mentioned biamping Vandersteen
I speakers. Unless my reasearch is faulty, that speaker is a 2 way system
that uses a 1" tweeter and a 8" woofer. If driving that woofer with an
amp that has high distortion products is not audible, I will buy you
lunch, beer included. If you can prove it in my home, then I will buy you
a 5 star dinner as well. Dinner will be complete with Dom and dessert!
(:)

Rusty Boudreaux

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
In the past, people have used amplifiers with different

properties for bass
and treble. For example, a woofer amplifier need not have low

distortion,
but it should be able to supply high amperage and have a low

damping factor.
An amplifier for mid and treble is frequently appreciated by

the cognoscenti
for pleasing tonality or definition.

Although people have done this it doesn't hold up to the claims.
High amperage designs are irrelevant. All you need is the
appropriate current for a given power demand. If an amplifier
can put out X number of watts that's all that is important from
an amperage requirement. The woofer/midrange generally needs
more power than the tweeter due to the spectral content of music
but it's not that big a deal.

Damping factor is also irrelevant. Damping factor essentially is
the output impedance of the amplifier. High damping factor
actually has less damping for the driver! In all but
pathological cases the amplifier will not affect damping
significantly since the primary damping contributors are the
voice coil resistance, mechanical suspension and the air in the
box. If you want low damping factor for whatever reason just
stick a resistor in series with the speaker wire or use teeny,
tiny speaker wire...it's the same thing. What's the point of
having a "high amperage" design if you essentially stick a lossy
element in series?

Another reason for biamplification is to avoid the power loss

which occurs
in a passive crossover network. To do this, active crossover

circuits,
inserted before the amplifiers, are used. These circuits are

made
specifically for the particular speaker. The input of an

amplifier receives
only low band or high band signals, reducing the total power

requirement on
the amp, and it is further reduced by absence of crossover

dissipation on
the output. The amplifier is connected directly to the speaker

drivers, or
through a simplified network designed to separate only the mid

and high
frequencies.

Since the loss from a passive crossover is minimal and there's a
plethora of competent amps with adequate power it's a bunch of
work for little, if any, gain.

Arny Krueger

[...]

I explained how that is irrelevant.

Putting that aside you are stating that 200 Hz is midrange?

That's what I said, right? I said 200 Hz is lower midrange not bass.
Remember, by octaves 640 Hz is the middle of the 20-20 KHz audio band.
Middle C on a piano is 278.43 Hz.

[...]

I see no clear statement here at all about what he thinks is midrange or
bass. Neither word appears anywhere in the paragraph,

Nah, your argument doesn't hold up AFAIC.

So far you've managed to ignore a simple clear statement that I made, and
provide as proof a paragraph that does not contain the words midrange, bass
or any known synonyms for them.

Thirdly, most of the claims I've seen about "Higher distortion
allowable in the bass frequencies..." related to subwoofers, which
operate in the range of 10-120 Hz. Right away we can see that while
the upper part of the subwoofer range overlaps with the lower end of
the woofer range, 10-120 Hz is really quite a different range of
frequencies than 20-400 Hz. There's no midrange at all in the 10-120
Hz range, and this turns out to be quite relevant.

But does it? AFAIC subwoofers are not really part of the whole
point I was trying to make. My point is that distortion is plainly
audible in bass frequencies and as such, the statement that high
distortion is permissible is incorrect.

I'll turn your first argument around on you. Slightly restated it becomes:

How one classes a range of nonlinear distortion is really not well defined
AFAIC.

What is high distortion?

If you define bass as 0-200
Hz that is your problem. The fact is that woofers typically extend
much higher than 200 Hz and especially the Vandersteen 1.

I explained that, but I guess I was wasting my breath,

The justification for the claim that "Higher distortion allowable in
the bass frequencies" is that when bass is reproduced, the bass
instrument is
often a solo instrument, or instruments that are playing in close
synchronization. Classic example of music with possibly problematical
content in the 10-120 Hz range is the low pedals on a large pipe
organ. At any rate, with solo sounds, intermodulation is largely
irrelevant since only one sound is being played.

I am not sure what you are listening to Arny, but in my jazz and
classical collection, one bass note played by itself is rare.

I explained that right below, but I guess I was wasting my breath,

[...]

support those audible differences.

This begs the question what one considers to be high distortion. I have a
number in mind - 10%. I think that anything more than 10% nonlinear
distortion is high.

However, I also know that large subwoofers with 10% distortion in their
lowest octave are subjectively clean-sounding. Here's why. First off, a
proper subwoofer does not produce midrange modulation distortion. Secondly,
a subwoofer will produce harmonics that will add or subtract from harmonics
that are already present in the music. No standard musical instrument
produces absolutely pure tones. Bass tones often have more harmonics than
fundamentals. At worst 10% nonlinear distortion will increase or decrease
some single harmonic by no more than 1 dB. Below 100Hz you can't hear a
difference when the level in an octave is increased or decreased by only 1
dB.

[...]

I've explained why that is not necessarily so, twice. You have not rebutted
the facts in either rendition.

Now if you wish to say
that it isn't bass but midrange, fine. Whatever the woofer handles
is what the woofer handles no matter what you or I class it as.

When the distortion is as high at 10%, it can't help but be audible.

I just explained again why it can completely slip by the ear.

I would be willing to bet that you could hear the difference plainly.

Musical tones have a complex assortment of harmonics, particularly for low
frequency fundamentals. Since there are already very strong harmonics in
the music, there's a good chance of them masking harmonics created by
nonlinear distortion in speakers and as I just showed, that masking can slip
by the ear even if the distortion is like 10%. Difference tones created by
harmonics tend to fall on top of other harmonics and be similarly masked.

One last point is that the original posting mentioned biamping
Vandersteen I speakers. Unless my research is faulty, that speaker
is a 2 way system that uses a 1" tweeter and a 8" woofer. If driving
that woofer with an amp that has high distortion products is not
audible, I will buy you lunch, beer included.

The amp would have to have low distortion except in the lowest octave, and
somehow not intermodulate the midrange for this example to detract from my
argument. I've never seen a decent amp that DIDN'T modulate the midrange
when it clipped a full-range signal. This example is therefore irrelevant to
what I've been talking about.

If you can prove it in
my home, then I will buy you a 5 star dinner as well. Dinner will be
complete with Dom and dessert! (:)

I have no interest in wasting my time with an irrelevant demonstration.
Perhaps if you understood the difference, you would see the truth of my
arguments and claims.

Rich Andrews

"Arny Krueger"

Arny,

In the interest of readibility I have snipped all of the foregoing
discussion as I hope to summarize it into something a bit more readable.

In all fairness I missed a few quotes. It was not intentional.

"The bass cabinet contains two 12" woofers and one 8" mid-range. As in the
XR19 and later versions of the XRT20, The lower woofer covers the range
from 20Hz to 150Hz. The upper woofer goes from 20Hz to 250Hz. The use of
two different woofer crossovers reduces interference between the woofers
in the upper bass where the distance between them is significant compared
to 1/2 wavelength of the sound being radiated."

Then he further defines his terminology when discussing equalizers.

"...there is the lower bass, upper bass, lower mid-range, upper mid-range
and highs.... I arrive at the center frequencies of 30, 150, 500, 1500 and
10,000Hz."

Now you can argue what is bass all you want, and you might even make a
convincing argument for some, but the fact of the matter is Roger has been
doing this professionally for more than 30 years and for a company that
has been around for more than 50. I think he knows what he is talking
about and if there was a problem with his definitions, others would have
corrected him long ago.

I have an idea! Why don't you send him an email and explain to him what
is bass and how his definitions are wrong. I would love to see what he
has to say. I can't wait. I wish it was then now.

Getting back to the original statement and to summarize,

Scott said "... I want to set up a bi-amped system...using Vandersteen 1
speakers"

Bob Morien said "... a woofer amplifier need not have low
distortion..."

I disagreed saying that distortion in a woofer is audible. To prove my
point, I cited where a change in woofer design lowered the measured
distortion from 10% to 0.5% which was, and is, clearly audible.
The conclusion being that high distortion, either produced or reproduced
by a woofer is audible.

You disagree.

Do I have it right so far?

PS. Arny, for some strange reason I detect some hostility on your part.
I do not want to engage in a fight or flame war. Neither is productive or
even entertaining. If I said something that made you feel that way, I
apologize. It certainly wan not my intent.

Arny Krueger

"Rich Andrews" wrote in message
.44
"Arny Krueger"
In the interest of readability I have snipped all of the foregoing
discussion as I hope to summarize it into something a bit more
readable.

In all fairness I missed a few quotes. It was not intentional.

"The bass cabinet contains two 12" woofers and one 8" mid-range. As
in the XR19 and later versions of the XRT20, The lower woofer covers
the range from 20Hz to 150Hz. The upper woofer goes from 20Hz to
250Hz. The use of two different woofer crossovers reduces
interference between the woofers in the upper bass where the distance
between them is significant compared to 1/2 wavelength of the sound
being radiated."

Then he further defines his terminology when discussing equalizers.

"...there is the lower bass, upper bass, lower mid-range, upper
mid-range and highs.... I arrive at the center frequencies of 30,
150, 500, 1500 and 10,000Hz."

IOW his center frequencies are

Lower bass - 30 Hz
upper bass - 150 Hz
Mid-range - 500 Hz
Highs - 10,000 Hz

These aren't ranges or boundaries, they are and I quote "center
frequencies".

Now lets estimate Roger's ranges by setting points that are roughly
equidistant from adjacent center frequencies, measured in octaves:

Lower bass - 30 Hz octaves going up 30 60 120
upper bass - 150 octaves going down 75 150
octaves going up 150 300 600 1200
Mid-range - 500 octaves going down 125 250 500
octaves going up 500 1000 2000 4000
8000
Highs - 10,000 octaves going down 2,500 5,000 10,000

Now, let's figure out some ranges, which is not easy - I may have made some
mistakes but...

Roger Russell's ranges

Lower bass - up to 80 Hz
uppper bass - 80 to 275 Hz
midrange - 275 to 2250 Hz
treble - 2250 to 20,000 Hz

Arny Krueger's ranges:

Subbass - up to 80 Hz
bass - 80 to 200 Hz
midrange - 200 to ???
treble ??? to ???

I have some ideas about ??? but I'm not saying what they are at the moment
because they are irrelevant to the discussion which is mostly about bass and
midrange.

Now you can argue what is bass all you want, and you might even make a
convincing argument for some, but the fact of the matter is Roger has
been doing this professionally for more than 30 years and for a
company that has been around for more than 50. I think he knows what
he is talking about and if there was a problem with his definitions,
others would have corrected him long ago.

His definition of bass is 0 to 275 and mine is 0 to 200. I'm not going to
argue about 75 Hz - it's less than half an octave at this point.

I have an idea! Why don't you send him an email and explain to him
what is bass and how his definitions are wrong. I would love to see
what he has to say. I can't wait. I wish it was then now.

Why bother? We are close enough to agreeing.

Getting back to the original statement and to summarize,

Scott said "... I want to set up a bi-amped system...using
Vandersteen 1 speakers"

Bob Morien said "... a woofer amplifier need not have low
distortion..."

I disagreed saying that distortion in a woofer is audible. To prove
my point, I cited where a change in woofer design lowered the measured
distortion from 10% to 0.5% which was, and is, clearly audible.
The conclusion being that high distortion, either produced or
reproduced by a woofer is audible.

You disagree.

I don't disgree. At the point I disagreed, Morien's post was completely
deleted. I didn't respond to Morien's post. Had I responded to Morien's
post I would have disagreed because as we can see, woofer amps and bass amps
are two different things. Furthermore I addressed my plea for relaxed
specifications for bass distortion to the range below 80 Hz. More
specifically, I said I was talking about the low end of the frequency
range of the subwoofer.

Do I have it right so far?

No.

You confused Roger's center frequencies with extreme frequencies.

You keep confusing the woofer range with the bass range, and yet we've got
plenty of examples where woofers respond way up into the midrange by either
Roger's standard or mine.

You read my disagreement, which has been pretty circumspect about saying
exactly what I meant, as agreement with Morien's statement, which I disagree
with.

PS. Arny, for some strange reason I detect some hostility on your
part. I do not want to engage in a fight or flame war. Neither is
productive or even entertaining. If I said something that made you
feel that way, I apologize. It certainly wan not my intent.

I'm a bit irritated by all these misunderstandings and misstatements of my
position, misstatements of the position of Roger Russell, etc.

Arny Krueger

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

correction

Arny Krueger's ranges:

Subbass - up to 120 Hz
bass - 120 to 200- Hz
midrange - 200 to ???
treble ??? to ???

Arny Krueger

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

correction

Arny Krueger's ranges:

Subbass - up to 120 Hz
bass - 120 to 200- Hz
midrange - 200 to ???
treble ??? to ???

Robert Morein

[...]

Sounds reasonable to me, but it doesn't seem to contradict my comment; it
just doesn't support it.
10% is a very high number, and says little about the audibility of 1% vs.
0.1% distortion.
In support of my view, I point out that the relative sensitivity of the ear
to bass frequencies is very much less than midrange. For that reason alone,
bass distortion should be less audible, because it is closer, and possibly
under, the threshold of hearing.

My comment is intended for the following interpretation: a user may select
an amplifier for subwoofer use with a distortion level of as high as 1%.
Perhaps the number should be 0.5%, but the subtle qualitative differences
that many people hear should not be audible. The most notable quality of a
subwoofer amp is the response near DC, and the large-signal output
impedance.

The frequently quoted damping factor seems to have little to do with the
ability of an amplifier to damp woofer cone motion, because it is measured
under small signal conditions.

Robert Morein

"Rusty Boudreaux" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in message
In the past, people have used amplifiers with different

properties for bass
and treble. For example, a woofer amplifier need not have low

distortion,
but it should be able to supply high amperage and have a low

damping factor.
An amplifier for mid and treble is frequently appreciated by

the cognoscenti
for pleasing tonality or definition.

Although people have done this it doesn't hold up to the claims.
High amperage designs are irrelevant. All you need is the
appropriate current for a given power demand. If an amplifier
can put out X number of watts that's all that is important from
an amperage requirement. The woofer/midrange generally needs
more power than the tweeter due to the spectral content of music
but it's not that big a deal.

That doesn't hold with my own experience.
A Hafler XL-280 simply doesn't have the bass response of a Parasound
HCA-2200ii.
On paper, both amps have enough current and enough frequency response to do
the job.
The difference is real enough to me, but "high amperage" may not be
adequately described by the numbers people use.
For example, damping factor is measured with small signals. With large
signals, some amplifiers don't damp so well.

There are great bass amps, and there are so-so bass amps.

Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

Sounds reasonable to me, but it doesn't seem to contradict my
comment; it just doesn't support it.
10% is a very high number, and says little about the audibility of 1% vs.
0.1% distortion.
In support of my view, I point out that the relative sensitivity of
the ear to bass frequencies is very much less than midrange. For that
reason alone, bass distortion should be less audible, because it is
closer, and possibly under, the threshold of hearing.

Reference:
http://www.webervst.com/fm.htm

The ear is more sensitive to the frequencies where the harmonics of bass
signals fall, than they are to the fundamental frequency. The ear is about
10 dB more sensitive to a 300 Hz sixth harmonic of a 50 Hz 85 dB tone than
the fundamental, for example. The threshold of hearing at 50 Hz is about 50
dB, so it's possible to hear a 60 dB fundamental, but ear is about 30 dB
more sensitive to its 300 Hz harmonic. OTOH, at 100 dB the ear's sensitivity
is relatively flat from 20 Hz to 1 KHz.

My comment is intended for the following interpretation: a user may
select an amplifier for subwoofer use with a distortion level of as
high as 1%.

In the 21st century there is no practical way to come up with a modern even
vaguely credible power amp with 1% THD below clipping. Those flat plate
subwoofer amps sold mail order for $50 and up have 0.1% or less THD below
clipping. If you want a power amp with more distortion than that, look at
SETs or tubed guitar amps, or amps with built-in nonlinear distortion
generators.

Perhaps the number should be 0.5%, but the subtle
qualitative differences that many people hear should not be audible.
The most notable quality of a subwoofer amp is the response near DC,

Program material from clean sources lacks content at frequencies near DC.
There are usually so many coupling caps in the production chain that
real-world response of recordings falls off very rapidly below 10-20 Hz.
Microphones with flat response that's flat below 50 Hz, let alone 10 Hz are
very rare.

and the large-signal output impedance.

Another area where there are few relevant differences among modern power
amps of even modest quality levels. Furthermore, outside of clipping, there
are few significant differences between small-signal and large-signal output
impedance for modern amps.

The frequently quoted damping factor seems to have little to do with
the ability of an amplifier to damp woofer cone motion, because it is
measured under small signal conditions.

Damping factor has the broadest and easiest-to-understand relevance when
treated as what it really is - another way of talking about amplifier output
impedance. Long term readers of the rec.audio.* newsgroups should be aware
of the fact that a number of well-experienced and highly-qualified writers
have spoken against the use of the term, over the years.

I'd like to see argument with these assertions restricted to people who have
actually measured these parameters for modern power amps in the past 10
years. Empirical evidence does have relevance! A good archive of this kind
of data can be found at Stereophile's web site.

Robert Morein

Default Bad Scientist Alert!

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

[snip]

I'd like to see argument with these assertions restricted to people who

have
actually measured these parameters for modern power amps in the past 10
years.

[snip]

I'd like to see you recognized for what you a a charlatan, a fraud, and a
bad scientist.

Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

[snip]

I'd like to see argument with these assertions restricted to people
who have actually measured these parameters for modern power amps in
the past 10 years.

[snip]

I'd like to see you recognized for what you a a charlatan, a
fraud, and a bad scientist.

Yup, looking for people who can back their theories up with emperical
evidence clearly brands me with the stigma being a bad scientist.

Mea Culpa.

Robert Morein

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

[snip]

I'd like to see argument with these assertions restricted to people
who have actually measured these parameters for modern power amps in
the past 10 years.

[snip]

I'd like to see you recognized for what you a a charlatan, a
fraud, and a bad scientist.

Yup, looking for people who can back their theories up with emperical
evidence clearly brands me with the stigma being a bad scientist.

Mea Culpa.

It really doesn't matter what you claim your methodology is.
You taint it with your touch.

Richard Crowley

Brian L. McCarty (pretending to be "Robert Morein") wrote...
I'd like to see you recognized for what you a a charlatan, a
fraud, and a bad scientist.

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
Yup, looking for people who can back their theories up with emperical
evidence clearly brands me with the stigma being a bad scientist.

Arny, PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS! Especially this one!

Rusty Boudreaux

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
That doesn't hold with my own experience.
A Hafler XL-280 simply doesn't have the bass response of a

Parasound
HCA-2200ii.
On paper, both amps have enough current and enough frequency

response to do
the job.

Something else must be at play. Dynamic headroom, clipping
behavior, etc.

For example, damping factor is measured with small signals.

With large
signals, some amplifiers don't damp so well.

As I said, damping factor is useless. DF is actually a measure
of how poorly an amp can damp the system. In all but the most
pathologically deficient amps the vast majority of damping is
done by the voice coil resistance, suspension, and air inside the
enclosure. Even a very low DF is unable to damp the system at
resonance.

Dick Pierce penned a very nice paper on the subject which can be
found in the google archive. You may have to copy both pieces of
the link into your browser due to word wrap.

DAMPING FACTOR: EFFECTS ON SYSTEM RESPONSE
A TECHNICAL ANALYSIS
Dick Pierce
Professional Audio Development
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:...dq=&hl=en&lr=&
ie=UTF-8&selm=GE1tJy.BIp%40world.std.com&rnum=1

or you can do an Advanced Group Search and search for message ID
=

There are great bass amps, and there are so-so bass amps.

Agreed, but damping factor is no indication.

Robert Morein

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
Brian L. McCarty (pretending to be "Robert Morein") wrote...
I'd like to see you recognized for what you a a charlatan, a
fraud, and a bad scientist.

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
Yup, looking for people who can back their theories up with emperical
evidence clearly brands me with the stigma being a bad scientist.

Arny, PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS! Especially this one!

Apparently, there is some question as to whether my post was genuine.

I have a big beef with Arny Krueger, and I have labeled him a bad scientist,
and I believe I am not without justification.
The "ABX" protocol is useful, and fundamental to precise scientific
investigation in many areas of human perception. Therefore, my extreme
deprecation of Arny Krueger is not because he espouses ABX per se.

However, as has been the case throughout the history of science, bad science
has coexisted with good science, and in very large proportion. Most
currently accepted scientific facts were preceded by theories that had the
standing of fact and that were later proved false. Arny Krueger is, in my
opinion, part of that large proportion of would be scientists who have
misused the label of science. Why people do this is a matter of conjecture.

All good scientists have an open mind and a dispassionate attitude toward
their subject material. It should be apparent that Arny is quite certain,
with no room for error, on all the subjects on which he espouses, and that
he is extremely passionate. This is a recipe for contamination; it prepares
for assassination of the truth.

On the other side of this room are a large number of audiophiles. Many, like
myself, take no pride in their hearing, yet find simple phenomena that
constantly reoccur. One of these is that some combinations of amplifiers and
speakers sound different from other amplifiers with the same speakers. The
claim is not made that one can tell the difference between all, or even
most, amplifiers. Nor is it claimed that expensive amplifiers sound
different from cheap ones. However, I personally possess quite a number of
amplifiers with seemingly distinct sound signatures. All of these amplifiers
are, apparently, "good", in that they are of reputable make, heavily built,
and definitely not defective, since in my case, I have more than one of just
about every amp I own.

For this reason, I advocate to the audiophile that he try different
amplifiers with his speakers, in whatever experiment conditions will allow.
If he has ABX handy, by all means use it, but then, this discussion is a bit
elementary for him. If he has a method of precision matching levels, use it,
by all means. However, when faced with virtually no resources, if the only
person the audiophile has to satisfy is himself, he should do it by
switching the wires himself. He may find a difference; he may not; no harm
done. If he finds an amplifier that pleases him more, he should choose that
amplifier. He should not believe he heard nothing, or be discouraged from
doing this, because Arny Krueger says it's a useless exercise.

Arny's uncopromising position seems to be that "all properly operating
amplifiers of a certain power class, when level matched, are
indistinguishable." I would certainly agree with this if "properly
operating" meant "perfect", but it does not, because there are no perfect
amplifiers.

Arny has strung together a lot of methodology with the assumption that the
logic is transitive. In other words, if A implies B, and B implies C, then A
implies C. In this way, he purports to "prove", via samples on his ABX
website, that the ear is far too tolerant of distortion to hear the
difference between "properly operating amplifiers."

To me, and to many other audiophiles, this is analogous to ****ing on our
backs and calling it rain. People have proved the existence of God, and
disproved the existence of God. Have they proved anything? No. A good
scientist, when confronted by a very large body of people who apparently
believe that some good amplifiers sound better than other good amplifiers,
when coupled to some good speakers, would open up his imagination, his
spirit, his curiosity, and his will, to find out what's going on.

Arny claims to be protecting the consumer from himself. It is unquestionably
the case that many audiophiles DO delude themselves into believing that
they hear things that they don't. This usually happens as the hobby gets a
little old, and they seek to repeat the thrill of discovering new things.
But the hobby has many curmudgeons like myself, who own old, discarded
things. I have no stake in preferring any one of my Parasounds to my Haflers
to my Acoustats. I chose these amplifiers a long time ago, after passing
over others. They are not new, and they do not thrill me, and when I'm done
switching around, I have just as many as I started with. Arny may claim that
I am still contaminated with my own humanity, but it is hard to find my
motive.

I am reminded of the mistake NASA made with the Hubble Space Telescope. Each
optic was rigorously checked, but they didn't have the money to put the
thing through a test on the ground. Good minds made a terrible mistake.

Ironically, Arny Krueger is a fairly knowledgeable guy. Unfortunately, his
knowledge is not accompanied by wisdom, nor an understanding of the limits
of his knowledge. Usenet provides an outlet for people who want to
pontificate. Many of us have a feeling of pride when we answer a question
that may be read by several thousand people. But we must remember that
humility is just a word, it is a principle of action. In this case, to be
humble as a scientist means to openly accept and investigate, and encourage
the possibility that any theory one has authored is wrong.