Luc Delorme

Default What are your opinions on the MTX Thunder 500D in a "higher-end" system

Hi everybody,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on the MTX Thunder 500D
amplifier. I've had this amp in my setup for a while now, and it's
never given me problems, but I'm unsure whether I should keep it or not
in my new setup, which will definately be more highend that what I
currently have.

I will be using an Adire Shiva as a sub (suggest by a friend that does
a lot of custom audio, and I was impressed how well it will perform in
a small sealed box), and I'm not sure whether I should keep that 500D
or change it to something that would be more consistent with the rest
of my setup (Zapco AG650, Illusion Audio mids, LPG 25NFA tweeters).
The Shiva doesn't need the power of the 500D to sound good, so I'm
wondering if a smaller class A/B amp in bridged more (The Shiva is dual
8 ohm, so any amplifier should handle the resulting 4-ohm load) would
be better than the class D MTX.

In my opinion, back in 2000 when that amp was made, MTX gear was of
better build quality than what they've sold in past years (I also have
a more recent Thunder 4244 and I don't like it that much), so I might
decide to keep it anyways because it's a good reliable amp.

On another note, If I decide to keep the MTX, do you guys know if
painting the amp will have a detrimental effect on its cooling
properties? The black heatsink would reall clash with the rest of my
install

Decisions, Decisions...

MZ

[...]

Why would it be?

In my opinion, back in 2000 when that amp was made, MTX gear was of better
build quality than what they've sold in past years (I also have a more
recent Thunder 4244 and I don't like it that much), so I might decide to
keep it anyways because it's a good reliable amp.

What makes you say that?

On another note, If I decide to keep the MTX, do you guys know if painting
the amp will have a detrimental effect on its cooling properties? The
black heatsink would reall clash with the rest of my install

Yeah, but it may not be significant.

Tony F

If you "think" the MTX is out of its league with the other equipment you
mentioned, then you'll probably be unhappy with it. In fact though, you'll
never hear an audible difference between it and other amps unless you get
something with more power, different features, etc. MTX is a well respected
brand. And if it matters to you, I've seen plenty of competition cars with
MTX amps.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Luc Delorme

On 2005-06-11 13:38:28 -0400, "MZ" said:

Hi everybody,

[...]

Well, typically A/B amps ave a better SNR than D amps. Since the Shiva
is a subwoofer that could by used with a higher crossover frequency
than many other subs, it could make a difference. However, when all
things are considered including that the sub isn't in the cabin, I'm
not really worried about SNR, and the MTX class D would most likely be
as good as an A/B amp, and require less current to operate.

In my opinion, back in 2000 when that amp was made, MTX gear was of
better build quality than what they've sold in past years (I also have
a more recent Thunder 4244 and I don't like it that much), so I might
decide to keep it anyways because it's a good reliable amp.

What makes you say that?

For one thing, the actual power used to greatly exceed the rated power
on old MTX amps. While the new stuff certainly lives up to its power
ratings, they don't seem to be as underrated as they used to. This may
be only marketing, in this age where everyone seems to want more power.
And so an amp that would have been sold at 500W 5 years ago is sold as
a 750W today, because it actually makes 750W in optimal conditions.

Also, MTX used to include variable crossovers on all their amps, which
is no longer the case. It's a feature that is very useful, and it's a
shame to see it go, although the upper lines most likely still have
them.

On another note, If I decide to keep the MTX, do you guys know if
painting the amp will have a detrimental effect on its cooling
properties? The black heatsink would reall clash with the rest of my
install

Yeah, but it may not be significant.

That's what I thought. I think that in the end I'll keep the amplifier
and at least try it out with the new gear for a while. Any differences
in the sub setup will mostly come from the box design than from the
amplifier anyways.

Have a good day,

Luc

MZ

Why would it be?

Well, typically A/B amps ave a better SNR than D amps. Since the Shiva is
a subwoofer that could by used with a higher crossover frequency than many
other subs, it could make a difference. However, when all things are
considered including that the sub isn't in the cabin, I'm not really
worried about SNR, and the MTX class D would most likely be as good as an
A/B amp, and require less current to operate.

SNR is so low in either case that it would be impossible to tell the
difference. Even SNR values typical for amplifiers from twenty years ago
were lower than today's class D amps, and they were (and still are)
considered noise-free.

In my opinion, back in 2000 when that amp was made, MTX gear was of
better build quality than what they've sold in past years (I also have a
more recent Thunder 4244 and I don't like it that much), so I might
decide to keep it anyways because it's a good reliable amp.

What makes you say that?

For one thing, the actual power used to greatly exceed the rated power on
old MTX amps. While the new stuff certainly lives up to its power
ratings, they don't seem to be as underrated as they used to. This may be
only marketing, in this age where everyone seems to want more power. And
so an amp that would have been sold at 500W 5 years ago is sold as a 750W
today, because it actually makes 750W in optimal conditions.

I think you're right that it is only marketing. And it seems they got you
hook line and sinker. This is exactly why some manufacturers underrate
their amplifiers.

Also, MTX used to include variable crossovers on all their amps, which is
no longer the case. It's a feature that is very useful, and it's a shame
to see it go, although the upper lines most likely still have them.

I don't think all their amps used to have them. I seem to recall the road
thunder and the lower powered blue thunder series not having them. I once
had a BT752 that didn't have them.

On another note, If I decide to keep the MTX, do you guys know if
painting the amp will have a detrimental effect on its cooling
properties? The black heatsink would reall clash with the rest of my
install

Yeah, but it may not be significant.

That's what I thought. I think that in the end I'll keep the amplifier
and at least try it out with the new gear for a while. Any differences in
the sub setup will mostly come from the box design than from the amplifier
anyways.

Very true.