MarkZimmerman

Default Advice on what to buy.

Thinking of buying 2 out of the following three and am wondering what would
give me the biggest bang for my buck.

1. Bryston 4B SST amp & BP20 PreAmp
2. Magnepan 3.6 speakers
3. Rel Strata III Subwoofer.

Best,

Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago
feroce

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 01:49:03 +0000, MarkZimmerman wrote:

Thinking of buying 2 out of the following three and am wondering what would
give me the biggest bang for my buck.

1. Bryston 4B SST amp & BP20 PreAmp
2. Magnepan 3.6 speakers
3. Rel Strata III Subwoofer.

Best,

Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

Get the Brystons and the Maggies. With adequate amplification and good
room acoustics, the Maggies will go surprisingly low. If you need to
go lower, you can always add a sub later.

feroce
normanstrong

"MarkZimmerman" wrote in message
Thinking of buying 2 out of the following three and am wondering

what would
give me the biggest bang for my buck.

1. Bryston 4B SST amp & BP20 PreAmp
2. Magnepan 3.6 speakers
3. Rel Strata III Subwoofer.

It depends on what you have already. If you have a good system right
now, then 2&3 would be the best choice.

Norm Strong

As compared to what? Can one assume compared to your current system to
which these might be additions/replacements? An amp change is unlikely to
make any difference unless your current one is clearly underpowered and/or
has high output impedance,ex. tube amp. The speakers are most likely to
produce a different sound if your current speakers are not planar in
design. The sub will not change the basic sound but can expand upon it if
low bass is very obviously missing now, otherwise the effect might be more
subtle. Note none of this says anything about you liking the differences,
just the potential for an audible difference. Other combinations have an
equal potential for making an audible difference which you might or might
not prefer once all is said and done.

Thinking of buying 2 out of the following three and am wondering what would
give me the biggest bang for my buck.

1. Bryston 4B SST amp & BP20 PreAmp
2. Magnepan 3.6 speakers
3. Rel Strata III Subwoofer.

Best,

Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

Len Moskowitz

MarkZimmerman wrote:

Thinking of buying 2 out of the following three and am wondering what would
give me the biggest bang for my buck.

1. Bryston 4B SST amp & BP20 PreAmp
2. Magnepan 3.6 speakers
3. Rel Strata III Subwoofer.

What is in your current system? Let us know so we understand what would
be in the updated system.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

MarkZimmerman

Thinking of buying 2 out of the following three and am wondering what would
give me the biggest bang for my buck.

1. Bryston 4B SST amp & BP20 PreAmp
2. Magnepan 3.6 speakers
3. Rel Strata III Subwoofer.

What is in your current system? Let us know so we understand what would
be in the updated system.

Right now my current system consists of an Adcom GFP 555 PreAmp, GFA 555
Amplifier 200 w/channel into 8 ohms, and a pair of Infinity Kappa 8 speakers.

Best,

Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago
Harry Lavo

"MarkZimmerman" wrote in message
Thinking of buying 2 out of the following three and am wondering what

would
give me the biggest bang for my buck.

1. Bryston 4B SST amp & BP20 PreAmp
2. Magnepan 3.6 speakers
3. Rel Strata III Subwoofer.

What is in your current system? Let us know so we understand what would
be in the updated system.

Right now my current system consists of an Adcom GFP 555 PreAmp, GFA 555
Amplifier 200 w/channel into 8 ohms, and a pair of Infinity Kappa 8

speakers.

Then I'd replace them with #1 and #2. You can add a subwoofer later, and
the 3.6's have plenty of quality bass for most music. Both choices
represent steps up (not earthshaking) from what you have...the Maggies
probably more so than the Brystons.
normanstrong

--
Len Moskowitz PDAudio, Binaural Mics, Cables, DPA,

M-Audio

Right now my current system consists of an Adcom GFP 555 PreAmp, GFA

555
Amplifier 200 w/channel into 8 ohms, and a pair of Infinity Kappa 8

speakers.

I'm aware that there are Infinity Kappa speakers with extremely wild
impedance dips at certain frequencies. I don't know if your speakers
fall into that category, but if they do, I'd replace them long before
I replaced the Adcoms. A fellow named Trevor Wilson from down under
can give you much better info on that subject.

Norm Strong

Atlantic Technology advice no longer sought [email protected] Audio Opinions 2 November 29th 03 02:24 PM
4th album, need studio upgrade advice Pineapple Thief Pro Audio 10 October 18th 03 07:57 AM
microphone advice rcurwood Pro Audio 0 September 26th 03 10:13 AM
Audio Advice Johnston West Pro Audio 1 August 12th 03 03:10 AM