Your Add Here!

Default Which Turntable?

I have a choice between two turntables to use. The designs seem to be
polar opposites. I'm wondering which one would sound better (one
requires a small investment in parts before I can a/b test them).

The first is a Technics SL-Q6, circa 1982, tiny footprint, Jacket Size
Linear Tracking Tonearm Player System with Precision Optical Sensor,
programable, tone arm on lid.

The other is an AR XA. You know the unit. Sparten in comparison.

Please advise.

Thanks very much.

John
John Wilkinson

"Your Add Here!" wrote in message
I have a choice between two turntables to use. The designs seem to be
polar opposites. I'm wondering which one would sound better (one
requires a small investment in parts before I can a/b test them).

The first is a Technics SL-Q6, circa 1982, tiny footprint, Jacket Size
Linear Tracking Tonearm Player System with Precision Optical Sensor,
programable, tone arm on lid.

The other is an AR XA. You know the unit. Sparten in comparison.

Please advise.

Thanks very much.

John

I suppose the sensible answer, if it isn't going to cost much, is to get
both decks running properly and listen in the context of your own system.
Whichever you prefer, you'd have a saleable second deck, or a spare if you
want to keep it. FWIW, the Technics decks in that series were generally
quite pleasant a and 'tidy' sounding, but not particularly exciting. The
Technics P23-27 series cartridges usually fitted are pretty competant, but
not as good as, say, a cheap Grado or an AT110E. Overall, the AR ought to
sound better, but the arm is pretty poor, so high frequency performance may
be a bit messier than the Technics. Overall though, clarity, dynamics and
spaciousness should be obviously better. I expect it'd be an awkward job,
but if you were a determined DIYer you might be able to fit an alternative
arm to the AR in the future, which would lift the performance significantly.
Naturally, the support structure the decks are on and the condition of the
styli are factors to consider when making a comparison.
John.

Gene Poon

Your Add Here! wrote:

I have a choice between two turntables to use. The designs seem to be
polar opposites. I'm wondering which one would sound better (one
requires a small investment in parts before I can a/b test them).

The first is a Technics SL-Q6, circa 1982, tiny footprint, Jacket Size
Linear Tracking Tonearm Player System with Precision Optical Sensor,
programable, tone arm on lid.

The other is an AR XA. You know the unit. Sparten in comparison.

Please advise.

My sneaky suspicion is that the AR turntable will sound better, but it
is limited by its tonearm, whose bearing friction is rather high. The
Technics has a coggy direct drive motor, a motor-driven linear tracking
arm that whose vibration is actually audible in some samples when tested
with a silent-groove record (I have heard this myself on several of
those "jacket-size" linear trackers) and a P-mount tonearm head that
limits your choice of cartridge to P-mounts only.