EganMedia

Default OT - Bush has clear mandate to govern from the right

For hundreds of years, the Catholic and Protestant churches had been at war
with one another. Our Founding Fathers were aware of this and, therefore,
did not want to establish one Church over another. BRBR

What about the possibility that a large number of early settlers had fled
Europe do to state sanctioned religious persecution? Maybe the founding
fathers saw a state-established religion as tyranical. Maybe the best way to
fight the tyrany of state-sponsored religion is to forbid the government the
opportunity to foist religious zealotry on the citizenry. Keeping prayer
private keeps freedom public.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
squig

"EganMedia" wrote in message
For hundreds of years, the Catholic and Protestant churches had been at

war
with one another. Our Founding Fathers were aware of this and, therefore,
did not want to establish one Church over another. BRBR

What about the possibility that a large number of early settlers had fled
Europe do to state sanctioned religious persecution? Maybe the founding
fathers saw a state-established religion as tyranical. Maybe the best way

The state sanctioned religion was a specific denomination. As well, people
were persecuted for not participating.

fight the tyrany of state-sponsored religion is to forbid the government

the
opportunity to foist religious zealotry on the citizenry. Keeping prayer
private keeps freedom public.

That may be a nice saying but I don't agree with it. Whey do you think that
for almost 200 years Bible reading and prayer was allowed in public schools?
Why wasn't it prohibited from the start?

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

George Gleason

squig wrote:
"EganMedia" wrote in message

[...]

Bigger problems to deal with live the revolution, the civil war,
industrial buildup
as well as very little national awareness as the tv and radio and
convieniant nation wide travel were still scifi
Just because we were focus on fist obtaining slave(a real Christian
value if ever there was one) then on freeing them
does not mean we should remain quagmired in the wrongs of the
past(allowing Idolatry in public schools)

George

squig

"George Gleason" wrote in message
squig wrote:
"EganMedia" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry, but I'm not buying it. The Revolution was over, the Civil War was
almost 100 years later, etc.

George Gleason

squig wrote:

"EganMedia" wrote in message

[...]

And Fox news was broadcasting on smoke signals
just how was national policy to be supervised across a unconnected country?
like I said it was a very local thing that was just on the back burner
Also education was not up to speed on pointing out all the failings of
religion
once a educated population could talk to each other and recognized the
great wrong that was being done
corrections were started

squig

squig wrote:

"EganMedia" wrote in message

[...]

As important an issue as Freedom of Religion was, I can't agree that it was
a "back burner" issue. We didn't talk to each other until the 20th century?

George Gleason

squig wrote:

"EganMedia" wrote in message

[...]

you are confusing what is important today with what was important then
priorities change
religion was much less agressivly shoved at me as public policy as
little as 20 years ago
I may have been blissfully unaware, or perhaps because I was part of the
problem(a good catholic boy) I did not see the injustice
for what ever reason it was not focused on back then now it is
impearitve that we continue to fight against Christianity's self
assigned dominance in national politics
Not really

EganMedia

Whey do you think thatfor almost 200 years Bible reading and prayer was
allowed in public schools?Why wasn't it prohibited from the start?

I don't know why. Why wasn't slavery prohibited from the start? Why weren't
women given the right to vote right from the start?

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

Bob Cain

EganMedia wrote:
Whey do you think thatfor almost 200 years Bible reading and prayer was
allowed in public schools?Why wasn't it prohibited from the start?

I don't know why. Why wasn't slavery prohibited from the start? Why weren't
women given the right to vote right from the start?

Because the guys had a really good sense of compromise and
pragmatics. No matter how they each personally felt about
all of these issues they knew that they had to come up with
something that would be acceptable to a large number of
people, all with differing views. The constitution is not
so much a model of morality and enlightenment as it is a
model of pragmatics. That it said nothing on any issue says
nothing at all about that issue except that it might have
been too contentious to address. To look to it for any kind
of adjudication of what's right and wrong on anything it did
not very precisely address is plain silly.

All it was meant to do was delimit the role of the federal
government and guarantee a few personal rights as an
afterthought. Measured on how well it has succeeded at the
former it might as well be thrown out because it has been so
totally violated as to be meaningless.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

squig

"EganMedia" wrote in message
Whey do you think thatfor almost 200 years Bible reading and prayer was
allowed in public schools?Why wasn't it prohibited from the start?

I don't know why. Why wasn't slavery prohibited from the start? Why

weren't
women given the right to vote right from the start?

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

You may have to refresh my memory but I don't believe either was mentioned
pro/con in the Constitution.

Roger W. Norman

Actually, in the Constitution, slaves were acknowledged by becoming 3/5 of a
person based on the electoral vote. In other words, a slave owner who had
3000 slaves had more electoral votes in his holding than a simple free
person in New York City. OR, to bring it down to even a smaller situation,
it only took a slave owner with 3 slaves to have more sway with the
electoral college than one person in New York City.

Just that point alone makes the electoral college system stupid. And it was
in the Constitution, like I said.

Now don't get me wrong. I understand that places like NYC have millions of
people while there are states that don't have much of anyone, like Montana
and the Dakotas, but hey, to me, they don't mean much anyway in terms of
electoral votes. If their vote counts the same as mine, then it makes no
difference whether their state has more or less electoral votes. Plain and
simple. I said this four years ago, and I'm saying it again. The electoral
college idea is stupid in this day and age of virtual instant
communications. And, for the record, if the tallies are correct on the
votes made, then Bush would still be President, so my saying that the
electoral college is stupid wouldn't effect **** in the past election.

But then again, out of a country of 300 million, perhaps we'd have a larger
voting population if votes actually counted for something. At the least it
becomes cumbersome to split the electoral vote into segments for each state,
but that would still be better. A simple one person, one vote would be
best.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"squig" wrote in message
"EganMedia" wrote in message
Whey do you think thatfor almost 200 years Bible reading and prayer

was
allowed in public schools?Why wasn't it prohibited from the start?

I don't know why. Why wasn't slavery prohibited from the start? Why

weren't
women given the right to vote right from the start?

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

You may have to refresh my memory but I don't believe either was mentioned
pro/con in the Constitution.

squig

"squig" wrote in message
"EganMedia" wrote in message
Whey do you think thatfor almost 200 years Bible reading and prayer

was
allowed in public schools?Why wasn't it prohibited from the start?

I don't know why. Why wasn't slavery prohibited from the start? Why

weren't
women given the right to vote right from the start?

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

You may have to refresh my memory but I don't believe either was

mentioned
pro/con in the Constitution.

It wouldn't be a Republic -- it would be a democracy, which is what the
Founding Fathers didn't want.

Roger W. Norman

What part isn't a republic? A representative republic requires that
people's votes count so that representatives are chosen to expound those
votes. It doesn't make any difference how you cut and slice it, it's still
the same representative republic. Just tallied differently because it's
become something even MORE representative.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"squig" wrote in message
"EganMedia" wrote in message
Whey do you think thatfor almost 200 years Bible reading and

prayer
was
allowed in public schools?Why wasn't it prohibited from the start?

I don't know why. Why wasn't slavery prohibited from the start?

Why
weren't
women given the right to vote right from the start?

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

You may have to refresh my memory but I don't believe either was

mentioned
pro/con in the Constitution.

It wouldn't be a Republic -- it would be a democracy, which is what the
Founding Fathers didn't want.

squig

"squig" wrote in message
"EganMedia" wrote in message
Whey do you think thatfor almost 200 years Bible reading and

prayer
was
allowed in public schools?Why wasn't it prohibited from the

start?

I don't know why. Why wasn't slavery prohibited from the start?

Why
weren't
women given the right to vote right from the start?

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

You may have to refresh my memory but I don't believe either was

mentioned
pro/con in the Constitution.

It wouldn't be a Republic -- it would be a democracy, which is what the
Founding Fathers didn't want.

Your comment was that it would best to have our system as 1 person, 1 vote.
That would make it a democracy. By the way, each state decides how to elect
the electors. Two of them do as you suggest (with a little twist). The
overall state winner gets 2 electoral votes (that correspond to the
Senators, so to speak) and each district winner gets the corresponding
elector. I believe those 2 states are Maine and Nebraska. If you don't like
it, do something to change it.