Carl Budding

Default Good Stereo Rack

Hi all,
First time poster. Could anyone recommend a nice rack to hold my
components? I'm looking for something that is more of a vertical tower
than a horizontal entertainment center. Ideally I'd like something
that will hold my components, turntable, and also have the strength to
put my TV on top! Should I get out my saw and buy some plywood? If
anyone can lead me in the right direction i.e. reliable web site or
brand names, I'd be much appreciative!
Thanks in advance,
Carl
Steven Sullivan

Kai Howells wrote:
TNT Audio (http://www.tnt-audio.com/int.html) have some good
instructions on their site:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyracks.html

"For EACH shelf you need 6 screw nuts, 6 steel washers and 6 neoprene
washers (common rubber washers work fine, too). The washers, both the
steel and the neoprene ones, should be 2 mm thick. N MDF (medium
density) shelves with N = number of shelves you actually need :-) Each
shelf should be 20 mm thick. Choose the dimensions you prefer (normally
60 x 40) though it should be better to respect, if possible, the golden
section ratio (see the Interview with Cardas)."

er...huh? Why on earth would it matter if the shelf dimensions
followed the golden section ratio?

Kai Howells

On 2004-10-24 04:42:10 +1000, Steven Sullivan said:

Kai Howells wrote:
TNT Audio (http://www.tnt-audio.com/int.html) have some good
instructions on their site:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyracks.html

"For EACH shelf you need 6 screw nuts, 6 steel washers and 6 neoprene
washers (common rubber washers work fine, too). The washers, both the
steel and the neoprene ones, should be 2 mm thick. N MDF (medium
density) shelves with N = number of shelves you actually need :-) Each
shelf should be 20 mm thick. Choose the dimensions you prefer (normally
60 x 40) though it should be better to respect, if possible, the golden
section ratio (see the Interview with Cardas)."

er...huh? Why on earth would it matter if the shelf dimensions
followed the golden section ratio?

Because it will look better... It has been shown that rectangles that
confirm to the Golden Ratio are simply more pleasing to look at than
rectangles with other dimensions...
VikingTrader

I use apw relay rack w/14" cantilevered shelves
for my component systems and this works great

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/network-frames.html

Steven Sullivan

On 2004-10-24 04:42:10 +1000, Steven Sullivan said:

Kai Howells wrote:
[...]

As you'll be viewing only the front and side
edges of these 'rectangles', and the bits not covered by the components,
I still don't see this as much of
an argument, even if true.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.