Posted to rec.audio.tubes
mike s mike s is offline

Default Some Notes on Heater Surge Current [Long - really HIGH power tubes]

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:13:26 PM UTC+1, mick wrote:

I just grabbed that book. Good isn't it?

Let's see...
opto-isolator fed from bias supply: input into PIC
No further action without bias
PIC ramps up heater(s)
Allow some warm-up time
Close a relay to allow B+ via a resistor
Another delay
Close second relay to short out B+ resistor & allow full supply

owzat?

Nice, a "finite state machine". So now all that's needed is something similar for safe power down, oh and the nasty cases for when the person switching it on, or off, changes their mind part way through a sequence and throws the switch the other way.

My PSU is very simple, but as it has a fairly hefty directly heated rectifier I added a thermistor to protect against power switch jitter - which would tend to blow the mains fuse. Almost certainly because the rectifier was warm, but the smoothing cap discharged, so the rectifier behaved more like silicon than vacuum on these occasions.

Michael

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

On 04/15/11 03:34, mike s so wittily quipped:
On Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:13:26 PM UTC+1, mick wrote:

I just grabbed that book. Good isn't it?

Let's see...
opto-isolator fed from bias supply: input into PIC
No further action without bias
PIC ramps up heater(s)
Allow some warm-up time
Close a relay to allow B+ via a resistor
Another delay
Close second relay to short out B+ resistor& allow full supply

owzat?

Nice, a "finite state machine". So now all that's needed is something similar for safe power down, oh and the nasty cases for when the person switching it on, or off, changes their mind part way through a sequence and throws the switch the other way.

properly handling rapid on/off sequences would be a 'nice touch'. I'd
start the sequence from the beginning again each time. Probably the
safest way. As for power off, easiest method, just "power off".

My PSU is very simple, but as it has a fairly hefty directly heated rectifier I added a thermistor to protect against power switch jitter - which would tend to blow the mains fuse. Almost certainly because the rectifier was warm, but the smoothing cap discharged, so the rectifier behaved more like silicon than vacuum on these occasions.

thermistors and similar components seem to be the most common way of
handling this 'old school' style.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
mick mick is offline

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 23:55:20 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 20:19:12 -0700, Big Bad Bob
wrote:

[...]

Using a PIC strikes me as 'overkill' style.

Me too - but I just happen to like 'em! :-)
I've always liked nice simple RC timers, but a PIC is so cheap and easy
to use that they can easily work out cheaper. Also, you can change your
mind as to exactly how you want them to work without major rebuilding. As
for reliability, I suspect that they are pretty good. The PSU components
are more stressed.

I definitely like thermistors in transformer primaries. So simple, but so
effective.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

On 04/16/11 21:55, flipper so wittily quipped:
wrote:

[...]

true, but fun to imagine. Still if you use the PIC to generate the HF
pulses, you won't need pulse logic. And if you use the PIC to measure
the voltages, you may not need any comparitors. And if you use the PIC
to make the decision of whether or not to send a pulse through the HF
toroid transformer, you could program it to behave in interesting ways,
like mimicing a 5xx rectifier (as an example). But yeah, for a
straightforward implementation of the above, not really needed. An
astable timer, comparitors, CMOS logic, and drivers would probably do it
(plus RC timing, state latches, and a couple of other things).

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

On 04/17/11 08:33, flipper so wittily quipped:
PICs are wonderful things as long as there's 'enough stuff' to justify
the parts and effort, including firmware, but, in this case, it looks
an awful lot like a 'kewl' solution in search of a problem

the cost of a microcontroller (and size reduction) might easily justify
it, IF you can reduce the total part count to a minimum, or gain some
kind of functionality or performance advantage. But to make it work
properly you'd need "yet another" regulated voltage for it, which might
be available ANYWAY since you need appropriate power to drive the
regulator logic.