Posted to rec.audio.tech
DS

Default A/B switch

I have two equalizers that I want to share (one at a time) the same tape
monitor on my home stereo amp. In searching for an A/B switch, I'm only
finding switches designed for component video with Y,Pb,Pr RCA jacks. Will
this work using them for left & right channels? Even if it works will the
specs of video in/out compromise my home stereo sound quality? For example
see: www.ramelectronics.net/html/kd-sw2x1.htm

Thanks in advance

DS

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 05:31:52 -0700, "DS" wrote:

I have two equalizers that I want to share (one at a time) the same tape
monitor on my home stereo amp. In searching for an A/B switch, I'm only
finding switches designed for component video with Y,Pb,Pr RCA jacks. Will
this work using them for left & right channels? Even if it works will the
specs of video in/out compromise my home stereo sound quality? For example
see: www.ramelectronics.net/html/kd-sw2x1.htm

That seems incredibly expensive for the job. Why not just swap the
cables? Added advantage, those nasty cheap rca jacks willk at least
keep nice and clean!

If you're really interested in comparing different eq settings, why
not move up from the home hi-fi world and get a digital eq box with
storable presets.

Also consider the possibility that whatever problem you're trying to
compensate for may not be solvable by a static eq curve. Speaker
choice, positioning and room treatment may be more useful tools.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
DS

Thanks. That's good info, all of which I am dealing with. The reason for 2
EQ is one is on 25ft patch cord accessible from a primary listening position
and the other is in the rack.
digital eq box. Something like a dbx 2231? or a 1231? What do you think?
Room treatments I'm just starting to investigate. Any links would be
appreciated.

Thanks again.
DS

"Laurence Payne" lpayneNOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"DS" wrote ...
I have two equalizers that I want to share (one at a time) the same
tape
monitor on my home stereo amp. In searching for an A/B switch, I'm
only
finding switches designed for component video with Y,Pb,Pr RCA jacks.
Will
this work using them for left & right channels? Even if it works will
the
specs of video in/out compromise my home stereo sound quality? For
example
see: www.ramelectronics.net/html/kd-sw2x1.htm

If you were looking at one of the cheap mechanical switches,
they will almost certainly pass audio through the "video"
path(s). However, I would bet that the fancy, electronic,
and especially remote-control switches likely have video-
specific circuitry (low impedances, very high frequency
response, but not particularly very low freqnency resp.,
etc.) NOT recommended.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gary A. Edelstein

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 05:31:52 -0700, "DS" wrote:

I have two equalizers that I want to share (one at a time) the same tape
monitor on my home stereo amp. In searching for an A/B switch, I'm only
finding switches designed for component video with Y,Pb,Pr RCA jacks. Will
this work using them for left & right channels? Even if it works will the
specs of video in/out compromise my home stereo sound quality? For example
see: www.ramelectronics.net/html/kd-sw2x1.htm

You could use the audio portion of a simple AV A/B switch, e.g.:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

or

http://tinyurl.com/rlkkk

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 07:49:23 -0700, "DS" wrote:

Thanks. That's good info, all of which I am dealing with. The reason for 2
EQ is one is on 25ft patch cord accessible from a primary listening position
and the other is in the rack.
digital eq box. Something like a dbx 2231? or a 1231? What do you think?
Room treatments I'm just starting to investigate. Any links would be
appreciated.

I still don't see why you need both? Surely the remote one can be
taken to the rack position if required, and eventually taken off the
long cable and mounted permanently once you've found the right
setting? And I'll lay odds that setting will be flat, once you've
sorted out the room and the speaker placement :-)
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

Incidentally - you do know there are much easier ways of getting CD
audio into a computer than down an audio cable?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
DS

Any info would be appreciated.
I'm currently shopping PC to stereo devices and seeing a range of products
from boards to boxes to software and mixed. Would rather do it right the
first time rather than trail-and-error testing cheap equipment.

DS

"Laurence Payne" lpayneNOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message
Incidentally - you do know there are much easier ways of getting CD
audio into a computer than down an audio cable?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Barend

I'm using 2 Behringer Ultracurve Pro 2496, it has razorsharp DSP based
BPF/Notch filters and much more.
I use them to battle my room modes (front L+R, Sub and Center). Would
have bought one for the rears too, but the money ran out.
Sound is crystalline clear now!
I assure you the sound won't degrade, I A/B'ed that ad nauseum.
Speakers he KEF Reference 2x205, 2x203 and 1x202c.
Amp: Marantz SR9600
Barend

Amp toggle switch Mr. D Car Audio 7 January 2nd 05 09:02 PM
Help needed for switch... Mike Rivers Pro Audio 1 August 9th 04 10:07 PM
Questions on basic wirjing setup Spirit Tech 28 March 31st 04 09:16 PM
Installing stand-by switch Sugarite Vacuum Tubes 3 February 26th 04 04:04 PM