Posted to rec.audio.tech
SAC 441

Default Obsolete Phonograph

I have a small problem...I have a SHARP RP-109G "Both Sides Play"
automatic drawer load turntable that I purchased back in 1976....I still
have some old vinyl LP's I like to play now and then.Sharp claims they
can no longer get the parts for his phonograph.One side (side B) of the
turntable does not activate or the photo-eye cannot "read" the grooves
on the record so it can see the tracks.Is there any place where this
ancient device can be repaired? I really like this player,as once you
load it you don't have to touch the record.I
suppose I can play all the records on side A,but it would be nice to get
the full functionality of this unit again.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

"SAC 441" wrote in message
I have a small problem...I have a SHARP RP-109G "Both Sides Play"
automatic drawer load turntable that I purchased back in 1976....I still
have some old vinyl LP's I like to play now and then.Sharp claims they
can no longer get the parts for his phonograph.

Have they determined that it actually requires a part that is no longer
available? Mechanical parts are custom-made by/for Sharp, but electronic
parts (resistors, capacitors, etc.) are not. Mechanical problems may not
require new parts -- gummed-up lubrication is a common problem in vintage
gear.

Where are you located? What you probably want is a technician who will
diagnose the problem, or at least spend a little time and tell you if it's
something obvious.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bret Ludwig

mc wrote:
"SAC 441" wrote in message
I have a small problem...I have a SHARP RP-109G "Both Sides Play"
automatic drawer load turntable that I purchased back in 1976....I still
have some old vinyl LP's I like to play now and then.Sharp claims they
can no longer get the parts for his phonograph.

Have they determined that it actually requires a part that is no longer
available? Mechanical parts are custom-made by/for Sharp, but electronic
parts (resistors, capacitors, etc.) are not. Mechanical problems may not
require new parts -- gummed-up lubrication is a common problem in vintage
gear.

In many cases they CAN get the part, they just don't WANT to. I have
busted shops on this in the recent past. We have a local joker who
tells people that bring in tube Fishers and whatnot "they can't get the
part" and hopes they will abandon it, then fixes it and eBays it. In
this case that isn't the issue, they just don't want to **** with it.

In all fairness though, you are better off to junk this thing and buy
a decent turntable while they are still available.