Posted to rec.audio.tech
Shai

Default AES AUDIO EMBEDDING

Hi,

I am having problems using the the GS9023A(Gennum CODEC Chip) to embed
the AES audio into the Video. The video into the Embed Chip is Delayed
by a frame, wheras the audio is not. Speaking to the engineers in
Gennum they feel there should be no issue with video delay and that the
chip should still embed audio. Looking at the datasheet the LOCK pin
usually doesnt go HIGH if the input video format is not recognized.
Well the input video format is right as I can use the Tektronix 601 to
identify that.

Can anybody think of a solution for this?

Feedbacks greatly appreciated.

Regards,
- Shailesh

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Shai" wrote ...
I am having problems using the the GS9023A(Gennum
CODEC Chip) to embed the AES audio into the Video.
The video into the Embed Chip is Delayed by a frame,

Many times a situation like that is resolved by delaying the
audio by a period equal to the video delay. OTOH, most
people are unlikely to notice a single-frame sync error.
More and more of the digital stuff you see on satellite and
cable is visibly (10-15-20 frames) out of sync.

wheras the audio is not. Speaking to the engineers in
Gennum they feel there should be no issue with video
delay and that the chip should still embed audio.

How would the chip know (or care) whether the audio
was in sync with the video? Or, for that matter, whether
the audio even had anything to do with the video?

Looking at the datasheet the LOCK pin usually doesnt go
HIGH if the input video format is not recognized. Well the
input video format is right as I can use the Tektronix 601
to identify that.

Not clear what that has to do with A/V sync?

Can anybody think of a solution for this?

1) Delay the audio.
2) Ignore the problem. 1 frame is miniscule.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 23:47:31 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

OTOH, most
people are unlikely to notice a single-frame sync error.
More and more of the digital stuff you see on satellite and
cable is visibly (10-15-20 frames) out of sync.

And VERY noticeably so !