Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default add more space between words on speech recordings?

I am teaching business english in Europe. I like to play news clips
from NPR, BBC, etc. to my classes, but the speech is to fast for the
more novice students. I have tried slowing down the clips using the
pitch shift and time shift functions on my Goldwave, but the results
aren't really an improvement.

Has anyone ever heard of software that can look for the silences
between the words on speech recordings and multiply them?

I have the impression that software that does the opposite is already
in use on some of these broadcasts.

Rob

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:28:30 -0500, Joe Kesselman
wrote:

You might be able to insert some time automatically, where a pause does
actually occur, but it would still be phrases rather than words.
Interesting concept, though; sounds worth trying...

And, of course, it's much easier to contract pauses that DO occur than
to analyse where one SHOULD be.

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
The power of empty space. N9WOS Vacuum Tubes 2 September 5th 05 04:07 PM
About the reviewer MINe 109 Audio Opinions 551 April 6th 05 12:29 PM
Powerful Argument in Favor of Agnosticism and Athetism Robert Morein Audio Opinions 3 August 17th 04 06:37 AM
Retraction Michael McKelvy Audio Opinions 150 February 24th 04 10:07 PM