Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Raymond Koonce Raymond Koonce is offline

Default The making of a triode

Hi Joes,

For an interesting video, about 8 minutes, see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_eLO0exato

where you can see Guido Tent of the Netherlands build a triode in honor
of the centennial of Lee DeForest's patent. This was presented at the
European Triode Festival held in Biezenmortel, Netherlands the first
weekend in December. We actually got to hear music using two of these
hand-made tubes in a preamp built by Manfred Huber of Germany. Guido
and Emile Sprenger were this year's organizers and they did a bang-up
job. Thanks guys!

Best regards,

Raymond
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
steppenvalve steppenvalve is offline

Raymond Koonce wrote:
Hi Joes,

For an interesting video, about 8 minutes, see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_eLO0exato

where you can see Guido Tent of the Netherlands build a triode in honor
of the centennial of Lee DeForest's patent. This was presented at the
European Triode Festival held in Biezenmortel, Netherlands the first
weekend in December. We actually got to hear music using two of these
hand-made tubes in a preamp built by Manfred Huber of Germany. Guido
and Emile Sprenger were this year's organizers and they did a bang-up
job. Thanks guys!

Best regards,

Raymond

Thanks for posting this Raymond. I know a guy who makes neon signs, and
it would be fun to show him this and get a few tubes made for me.
Without specs on the size of the parts, their distance from each other,
their composition, etc. the results would be quite sporadic, though. Is
there a resource on the web that, at the very least, has ballpark
figures for those qualities (and whatever others I can't even think
of)? I wouldn't want to go into production, but he's a True Artist in
every sense of the word, so he's even flakier than I am! He would look
upon variations from tube to tube as a good thing. It would be good to
give him some definite guidelines.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Güs Güs is offline

Raymond Koonce wrote:

Hi Joes,

For an interesting video, about 8 minutes, see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_eLO0exato

where you can see Guido Tent of the Netherlands build a triode in honor
of the centennial of Lee DeForest's patent. This was presented at the
European Triode Festival held in Biezenmortel, Netherlands the first
weekend in December. We actually got to hear music using two of these
hand-made tubes in a preamp built by Manfred Huber of Germany. Guido
and Emile Sprenger were this year's organizers and they did a bang-up
job. Thanks guys!

Best regards,

Raymond

Excellent video! Thanks for sharing Ray.
How did they sound? Transparent? lol!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] rkoonce@dsityler.com is offline

steppenvalve wrote:
Raymond Koonce wrote:
[...]

I think that Guido used the original patent documents for his design.
The modern components (filament, cathode coatings, spot welder, vacuum
pumping gear, etc.) obviously made it easier to do. I would think a
neon guy would have most of the expertise to do what Guido did, but
probably in a different manner. Having access to the Philps R&D lab
was indispensible.

Best regards,

Raymond

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Güs wrote:
Raymond Koonce wrote:

Hi Joes,

For an interesting video, about 8 minutes, see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_eLO0exato

where you can see Guido Tent of the Netherlands build a triode in honor
of the centennial of Lee DeForest's patent. This was presented at the
European Triode Festival held in Biezenmortel, Netherlands the first
weekend in December. We actually got to hear music using two of these
hand-made tubes in a preamp built by Manfred Huber of Germany. Guido
and Emile Sprenger were this year's organizers and they did a bang-up
job. Thanks guys!

Best regards,

Raymond

Excellent video! Thanks for sharing Ray.
How did they sound? Transparent? lol!

They actually sounded pretty good to me. We heard them on 300B
monoblocs with Altec horns. Guido told me that the specifications were
really horrible. He build about 20 tubes in all and some were
non-functional, gassy, etc. (he said one even glowed like a neon tube).
They have *very* high plate R and very low gm, but the mu is about 50.
There's an auction at the end of the festival and two additional
triodes were sold to a member of the French group, Melaudia
(www.melaudia.net, all in French). I'm waiting for their preamp....

Best regards,

Raymond

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Raymond Koonce wrote:
Hi Joes,

For an interesting video, about 8 minutes, see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_eLO0exato

where you can see Guido Tent of the Netherlands build a triode in honor
of the centennial of Lee DeForest's patent. This was presented at the
European Triode Festival held in Biezenmortel, Netherlands the first
weekend in December. We actually got to hear music using two of these
hand-made tubes in a preamp built by Manfred Huber of Germany. Guido
and Emile Sprenger were this year's organizers and they did a bang-up
job. Thanks guys!

Best regards,

Raymond

Stunning and apt celebration. I knew Guido and Manfred back in the days
of the Joenet, two very helpful guys. Give them my regards. It must
help to have the resources of Philips R&D at one's beck and call for
private experiments! Of course, this is inexpensive publicity for
Philips (not to mention that it is with people who are probably
opinion-formers in other walks of life too), and I bet it gave the guys
with the yes-power a thrill to be connected back to the source of some
of Philips wealth. Thanks for sharing.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Hi RATs!

Tubes ain't much, couple pieces of metal in a jar of nothing.

Transistors ain't much, neither.

Listening is great.

Reading about various tricks and gimmicks is fun, too.

Having the discussion of the joys of tube hobby listening hit by a
Tsunami of techno BS from some really unhappy and desparate reptilian
cortex EE types is OK. It gives them a sense of purpose, which many
engineers lack in this world. Perhaps not surprisingly.

I like listening. I have known firsthand the emptiness of engineering
for money

I choose to enjoy the noises MY audio junk makes.

Others may enjoy shouting their nasty opinions. It is a free world. All
the idiots think they know important facts. Wiser men are content to
fool their ears, if not their Creator.

Happy Ears!
Al

PS newsgroups have helped teach people to find something they like in
this world, but, hyperactive fools insist, ad nauseum, that there is
nothing to like ... the Nazi Gestapo praised methamphetamine, it gave
one the illusion that to keep talking after others had fallen asleep
was the same as winning the argument. Sigh.

You can set fire to your enemies, but, it won't make you smart, nor
correct, just sooty.

Flame On!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Raymond Koonce wrote:

Hi Joes,

For an interesting video, about 8 minutes, see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_eLO0exato

where you can see Guido Tent of the Netherlands build a triode in honor
of the centennial of Lee DeForest's patent. This was presented at the
European Triode Festival held in Biezenmortel, Netherlands the first
weekend in December. We actually got to hear music using two of these
hand-made tubes in a preamp built by Manfred Huber of Germany. Guido
and Emile Sprenger were this year's organizers and they did a bang-up
job. Thanks guys!

Very entertaining. Thanks for the link.

It got me thinking about the characteristics of DHTs too.

Has anyone got any example(s) of their transfer characteristics ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
Raymond Koonce wrote:

Hi Joes,

For an interesting video, about 8 minutes, see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_eLO0exato

where you can see Guido Tent of the Netherlands build a triode in honor
of the centennial of Lee DeForest's patent. This was presented at the
European Triode Festival held in Biezenmortel, Netherlands the first
weekend in December. We actually got to hear music using two of these
hand-made tubes in a preamp built by Manfred Huber of Germany. Guido
and Emile Sprenger were this year's organizers and they did a bang-up
job. Thanks guys!

Does anyone have any details on the design and specs. of the "preamp"?

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

Güs wrote:
Raymond Koonce wrote:

[...]

I am not sure what De Forest reckoned should be the distances between k
to g and g to a
to get a certain Ra, Gm and µ.

But the µ is the most constant of all 3 parameters.
There can be considerable variation of Ra and Gm depending on Ia.

If the Ra of the "celebratory" triode was say 100k, and µ = 50,
and because for all tubes Gm = µ / Ra, so then Gm would be 50 / 100,000
= 0.5mA/V,
a not uncommon amount of Gm for many signal tubes made a lot later and
with more knowledge
than in De Forest's time when building triodes was very a very hi-tec
adventure indeed.
I can just imagine Deforest's glee when he found the triode worked.
He would have thought, "****, this is really something, maybe I might
get rich..."

Trying to make a useful triode with a decent cathode coating and
gettering
and to equal a 6J5 takes slightly more effort than the Guido Tent
deployed.

Home brew tubes are doable, it just takes a lot of knowledge,
determination,
time, and basically many things must be done 'just right', or else you
have a
useless outcome.
Triodes are easier than pentodes.

Making triple triodes in the one envelope would be neat because
the whole input triode and LTP pair is in one envelope, but
a twelve pin base is needed.....Compactrons were made because of
space savings and manufacturing cost reductions.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Andre Jute wrote:
I knew Guido and Manfred back in the days
of the Joenet, two very helpful guys.

What would actually be surprising is if they knew you.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Peter Wieck wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:
I knew Guido and Manfred back in the days
of the Joenet, two very helpful guys.

What would actually be surprising is if they knew you.

I was wondering something similar.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Raymond Koonce Raymond Koonce is offline

Hi John,

No real details, but you can find pictures of it at

http://www.timebanditaudio.com/ETF2006/etf2006.html

It was a breadboard construction and I think you can see most of the
components.

Best regards,

Raymond

John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
Raymond Koonce wrote:

Hi Joes,

For an interesting video, about 8 minutes, see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_eLO0exato

where you can see Guido Tent of the Netherlands build a triode in honor
of the centennial of Lee DeForest's patent. This was presented at the
European Triode Festival held in Biezenmortel, Netherlands the first
weekend in December. We actually got to hear music using two of these
hand-made tubes in a preamp built by Manfred Huber of Germany. Guido
and Emile Sprenger were this year's organizers and they did a bang-up
job. Thanks guys!

Does anyone have any details on the design and specs. of the "preamp"?

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

Hi Raymond,

Hmm, looks like there may be a bit of cheating going on there, I see a
factory built tube that looks like it is probably doing the heavy
lifting. Thanks for the link.

Regards,

John Byrns

In article ,
Raymond Koonce wrote:

Hi John,

No real details, but you can find pictures of it at

http://www.timebanditaudio.com/ETF2006/etf2006.html

It was a breadboard construction and I think you can see most of the
components.

Best regards,

Raymond

John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
Raymond Koonce wrote:

Hi Joes,

For an interesting video, about 8 minutes, see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_eLO0exato

where you can see Guido Tent of the Netherlands build a triode in honor
of the centennial of Lee DeForest's patent. This was presented at the
European Triode Festival held in Biezenmortel, Netherlands the first
weekend in December. We actually got to hear music using two of these
hand-made tubes in a preamp built by Manfred Huber of Germany. Guido
and Emile Sprenger were this year's organizers and they did a bang-up
job. Thanks guys!

Does anyone have any details on the design and specs. of the "preamp"?

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ruud Broens Ruud Broens is offline

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message
:
: Trying to make a useful triode with a decent cathode coating and
: gettering and to equal a 6J5 takes slightly more effort
: than the Guido Tent deployed.
:
: Home brew tubes are doable, it just takes a lot of knowledge,
: determination, time, and basically many things must be done
: 'just right', or else you have a useless outcome.
: Triodes are easier than pentodes.
:
: Making triple triodes in the one envelope would be neat because
: the whole input triode and LTP pair is in one envelope, but
: a twelve pin base is needed.....Compactrons were made because of
: space savings and manufacturing cost reductions.
:
: Patrick Turner.

...it's a shame no chinese corp has come up (yet) with ceramic compactron
sockets for 2 USD or so, some interesting NOS tubes bein'round ;-)
R.

eg 8BU11 for guitar amps,
the 6HV5-A for high B+ hifi amps

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ruud Broens Ruud Broens is offline

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message
:
: "Patrick Turner" wrote in message
: ...

: : Making triple triodes in the one envelope would be neat because
: : the whole input triode and LTP pair is in one envelope, but
: : a twelve pin base is needed.....Compactrons were made because of
: : space savings and manufacturing cost reductions.
: :
: : Patrick Turner.
:
: ..it's a shame no chinese corp has come up (yet) with ceramic compactron
: sockets for 2 USD or so, some interesting NOS tubes bein'round ;-)
: R.
:
: eg 8BU11 for guitar amps,
: the 6HV5-A for high B+ hifi amps

ok, hands up anyone who checked up on the 6HV5-A ? ;-)
actually, with prices from 2 to 8 USD i've seen, 35W Pa,
could be a good candidate from using the new Hammond
1638SEA ot. 10K::4/8/16, 30W, 90mA DC max, 2kVrms tested,
199 euro's, not *that* cheap,

3 6HV5-A's, running at 1100V, 30 mA, in parallel,
would make some pristine 25W SE,
with ample opportunity for nfb, as the
voltage gain of the powertubes is larger
than the voltage reduction by the ot :-)

Rudy

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ruud Broens Ruud Broens is offline

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message
:
: : the 6HV5-A for high B+ hifi amps
:
: ok, hands up anyone who checked up on the 6HV5-A ? ;-)
: actually, with prices from 2 to 8 USD i've seen, 35W Pa,
: could be a good candidate from using the new Hammond
: 1638SEA ot. 10K::4/8/16, 30W, 90mA DC max, 2kVrms tested,
: 199 euro's, not *that* cheap,
:
: 3 6HV5-A's, running at 1100V, 30 mA, in parallel,
: would make some pristine 25W SE,
: with ample opportunity for nfb, as the
: voltage gain of the powertubes is larger
: than the voltage reduction by the ot :-)
:
: Rudy
:
whatever you're listening to,
using SS, hybrid or tubes,
SE, PP, ppp, fff,
heh
merry Xmas

R.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default What are you listening to on Christmas Day

whatever you're listening to,
using SS, hybrid or tubes,
SE, PP, ppp, fff,
heh
merry Xmas

R.

Merry Christmas to you too, Rudy, and to all the tubies on RAT.

I've sat up all night listening to my new electrostatic earphones. Quad
67 player into Stax SR-252 amp into SR-202 earspeakers. The Best of
Peggy Lee, previously The Bonzo Dog Band, before
that Schutz's Weinachtshistorie, Bach Cantata (several boxes of the Ton
Koopman complete set, including No 199, My Heart Swims in Blood to set
the mood), some really rude Jacques Brel, a whole boxful of the cellist
Jacqueline DuPre.

My family are wondering if I'll get enough sleep before our Christmas
dinner tonights so I'd better put my new toy aside.

Happy days to all vacuumlanders, however near heaven you might be.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ruud Broens wrote:

[...]

OK, TDSL tube data says:-

6HV5A..

TriodePlate Voltage ................................. 5500
VPlate Dissipation ............................. 35 W
Plate Current ................................. 325 mA
Grid No. 1 Circuit Resistance Fixed Bias
................................... 240 O
Characteristics and Typical Operation
Class A AmplifierPlate Voltage ................................. 3500 V
Grid No. 1 Voltage ............................ -4.4 V
Amplification Factor .......................... 300
Plate Resistance (approx) ..................... 4.6K O
Transconductance .............................. 65K µ
Plate Current (Maximum Signal) ................ 300 mA
Grid No. 1 Voltage for Ib ..................... 1000 µa @ -13.0 V

So Pda is a useful 35W, but exactly what would be the ideal class A
conditions for
SE use is anyone's guess because I guess the the anode voltages
mentioned above are maximums.

I assume the µ of 300, Ra of 4.6k, and Gm of 6.5mA/V is in pentode mode,
and I bet the linearity could be horrible.

Best way to find out is to run a lot of tests with variable anode B+
voltage,
screen voltage, idle current and grid voltage and after
maybe 30 combinations of the above variables one might find the best
class A SE operating point in tetrode.
Triode connection could be awful of fabulous; tubes meant for strange
purposes
in TV sets have a habit of being fairly useless for linear audio
circuits; the 6DQ6
is a classic case IMHO, and it hates being strapped as a triode.
However, the 6CM5 or the identical rated non topcap 6FW5 when connected
in triode are
just as good as a 2A3.... and two make a very nice 25 watts AB1.
They can happily dissipate 18 watts each all day, Ra is 600 ohms in
triode...
Ab2 is fine, even in triode....

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

: Ruud Broens wrote:
:
: "Ruud Broens" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : "Patrick Turner" wrote in message
: : ...
:
: : : Making triple triodes in the one envelope would be neat because
: : : the whole input triode and LTP pair is in one envelope, but
: : : a twelve pin base is needed.....Compactrons were made because of
: : : space savings and manufacturing cost reductions.
: : :
: : : Patrick Turner.
: :
[...]

The GE datasheet is available, interesting enough, they call it a Beam Triode :-)
so the pin 3/10 'beam forming plate' connections are typically connected to the
cathode.
the Rp is about 400V/50mA or 8 K at low currents, a load of about 40K
seems optimal, so the only practical way to use it is with some in parallel,
to get both voltage and current swing of usable magnitude.
Allowing it to run slightly above rated max Pa (it is rather cheap, after all
1250V at 30 mA, with 3 tubes in parallel loaded with 10K gives about
30W out, df about 3.5, max current from a 4 Ohm secondary sqr(10K/4)*
180 mApp or 9App, in other words, still able to deliver 30W from that tap
into a 1.5 Ohm load. With the tubes' voltage gain of about 220, the 4 Ohm
secondary tap, used for cathode fb, would give some 13 dB nfb, for
distortion (est.) below 0.1..0.2 %, mainly 2H, for any power up to 30W.
without fb, you could drive it straight from a cd players' output, some
5Vtt required for 30W out, even with fb from a 16 Ohm tap, a single
input/driver tube will be more than enough to drive it with any line level
signal.

: Triode connection could be awful of fabulous; tubes meant for strange
: purposes
: in TV sets have a habit of being fairly useless for linear audio
: circuits; the 6DQ6 is a classic case IMHO,
: and it hates being strapped as a triode.
: However, the 6CM5 or the identical rated non topcap 6FW5
: when connected in triode are
: just as good as a 2A3.... and two make a very nice 25 watts AB1.
: They can happily dissipate 18 watts each all day, Ra is 600 ohms in
: triode...
: Ab2 is fine, even in triode....
:
: Patrick Turner.

sure, fine tubes, topcaps in general as a bonus are quite cheap ;-)
Rudy

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Ruud Broens" wrote:

The GE datasheet is available, interesting enough, they call it a Beam Triode
:-)
so the pin 3/10 'beam forming plate' connections are typically connected to
the
cathode.
the Rp is about 400V/50mA or 8 K at low currents, a load of about 40K
seems optimal, so the only practical way to use it is with some in parallel,
to get both voltage and current swing of usable magnitude.
Allowing it to run slightly above rated max Pa (it is rather cheap, after
all
1250V at 30 mA, with 3 tubes in parallel loaded with 10K gives about
30W out, df about 3.5, max current from a 4 Ohm secondary sqr(10K/4)*
180 mApp or 9App, in other words, still able to deliver 30W from that tap
into a 1.5 Ohm load.

How did you come up with 30m Watts for 9App into a 1.5 Ohm load? I get
only 15 Watts.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

: Ruud Broens wrote:
:
[...]

I don't follow you here.

Its either got a screen or it ain't, and if it has, plus beam former
plates
then its a beam tetrode, period.

For most beam/pentode tubes, RL = 0.9 x Ea / Ia, whatever that may be,
and ya gottra consider
Ra, ie, anode dynamic resistance to be much higher than RL...

Allowing it to run slightly above rated max Pa (it is rather cheap, after all
1250V at 30 mA, with 3 tubes in parallel loaded with 10K gives about
30W out, df about 3.5, max current from a 4 Ohm secondary sqr(10K/4)*
180 mApp or 9App, in other words, still able to deliver 30W from that tap
into a 1.5 Ohm load. With the tubes' voltage gain of about 220, the 4 Ohm
secondary tap, used for cathode fb, would give some 13 dB nfb, for
distortion (est.) below 0.1..0.2 %, mainly 2H, for any power up to 30W.
without fb, you could drive it straight from a cd players' output, some
5Vtt required for 30W out, even with fb from a 16 Ohm tap, a single
input/driver tube will be more than enough to drive it with any line level
signal.

Phew. Let's see now, I'll do it my way and compare results with yours,
1,250V div by 0.03A = about 41,666 ohms, so mult x 0.9 = 37,500 ohms for
RL.
From the data, Ra = 4.6k, but that's way below RL, so something seems
wrong.
But we do have RA lower than RL, so its a bonus perhaps.
So with 3 tubes paralleled, you'd have RL = about 12.5k.

With peak anode Vswing of say +/- 0.8 x Ea, you get 707Vrms which is 40
watts into 12.5k.
So if secondary RL = 6 ohms, VRL = 15.5Vrms.
Vgk = say 3.5Vrms, and with all of the secondary voltage fed back the Vg
in = 19Vrms,
and you'd have 14.7dB of NFB.

So you'd need a 6SN7 input driver or something set up in
µ follower to give a gain of about 18 so Vin = about 1.1Vrms.

Would it work out??????
I have not the fientest idea, and you can always try it out on a bread
board to find out,
but I suspect THD without any NFB will be 15% at 40 watts and maybe Rout
will be dissapointingly high, but with NFB the situation
will be better but still THD at 40 watts probably will be 1 to 2 %,
and at 0.4 watts its 0.1% at least, or about 4 times what i like THD to
be
at low levels.

: Triode connection could be awful of fabulous; tubes meant for strange
: purposes
: in TV sets have a habit of being fairly useless for linear audio
: circuits; the 6DQ6 is a classic case IMHO,
: and it hates being strapped as a triode.
: However, the 6CM5 or the identical rated non topcap 6FW5
: when connected in triode are
: just as good as a 2A3.... and two make a very nice 25 watts AB1.
: They can happily dissipate 18 watts each all day, Ra is 600 ohms in
: triode...
: Ab2 is fine, even in triode....
:
: Patrick Turner.

sure, fine tubes, topcaps in general as a bonus are quite cheap ;-)
Rudy

The 6FW5 looks much nicer than the 6CM5 and has no top cap but has the
same characteristics I found.
Its a little known secret, and in fact the 6FW5 seems like a really fab
replacement
for KT66 in Quad II amps, where probably they coulkd be coaxed to run in
CFB tetrode mode
as the original circuit has them or else in triode mode with
slight revision of the drive amp to get the increased drive, my website
has details for the use of KT88 with all twin triode driver and fixed
bias for those interested.
6FW5 and 6CM5 in triode both need about -50V applied Egk for bias
even with Ea&Eg2 at only +350V.
But the much lower Ra of these tubes compared to KT66 in triode means
the
FW5/CM5 anode voltage swing is larger without hitting grid current, and
hence there
is more power, and 20 watts is easy with triode connection.

But 6DQ6 and 6CD6 are not nearly so good in triode as we would like them
to be.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ruud Broens Ruud Broens is offline

"John Byrns" wrote in message
: In article ,
: "Ruud Broens" wrote:
:
: The GE datasheet is available, interesting enough, they call it a Beam Triode
: :-)
[...]
: --
: Surf my web pages at, http://fmamradios.com/

you are right, make that into 3 Ohm - lost a factor 2 ;-)
thanks,
R.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

: Ruud Broens wrote:
:
: "Patrick Turner" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: :
: : Ruud Broens wrote:
: :
: : "Ruud Broens" wrote in message
: : ...
: : :
: : : "Patrick Turner" wrote in message
: : : ...
: :
: : : : Making triple triodes in the one envelope would be neat because
: : : : the whole input triode and LTP pair is in one envelope, but
: : : : a twelve pin base is needed.....Compactrons were made because of
: : : : space savings and manufacturing cost reductions.
: : : :
: : : : Patrick Turner.
: : :
[...]

heh, ok, it only has G1 and the beam forming plate connection, so it's
a triode resembling a trioded beam power tube alright ;-)
i've e-mailed the datasheet to you.
:
[...]
: From the data, Ra = 4.6k, but that's way below RL, so something seems
[...]

well, my estimate is from the published GE curves, which require some
curve guestimation at the currents used for an SE audio application,
but it is much better than you'd think, thus it has a rather fine price/q.
quotient ;-)
:
:
:
[...]

comparing powertubes of ~same Pa, you'll note that when a high
heating power is used, the 0V gridline will be pretty close to the 0 V
or y-axis, whilst lower heater power tubes only have appreciable
currents available at much higher voltages along the 0 V gridline:
there's no free lunch in nature, better (trioded) plate efficiency comes
from larger amount of heater Watts per plate dissipation W :-).
two extremes:
6EM7/6EW7, triode 2 Pa=10W, heating .
using the 'where does it reach 70 mA on the 0V gridline' criterium,
that is at 50V , so large downward voltage swing possible

12A6, trioded, Pa+g2=9W, heating
70mA now at about 215V, not terribly efficient (unless grid drive current
is used

Rudy

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

: Ruud Broens wrote:
:
: "Patrick Turner" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: :
: : Ruud Broens wrote:
: :
[...]

Thanks for sending me the curves for that GE 6HV5A

It IS a queer sort of triode with huge gain potential.

My worry would be that with only -2V on the g1 needed to bias the tube
at
1,250V x 30mA ( roughly ), bias drift could be a bother
unless you had a large Rk taken down to a -ve supply and then bypass the
k to 0V.
so you have best dc regulation by the Rk.

The downward Ea swing of triodes mainly depemds on
a low Ra, and the more vertical the Ra data curves are the easier is is
to get
a good -ve going swing without grid current.
Maybe your'e right about the heater power as well, but tubes like 6CM5
etc were
not big heater power users, and the peak cathode current is 500mA.
But never mind, using a cathode follower drive to the grid you can drive
the grid
positive probably with this tube and thus get the efficiency up
to near tetrode performance.
( few folks realise that instead of getting only 12 watts from a pair of
KT66/6L6
in triode in AB1, with AB2 up to around 30 watts is doable with the same
Ea...)

The need for such a high Ea is reduced by operating with grid current;
its done with 211....

And BTW, I mistakenly thought the gm was 6.5mA/V but its not, its
a massive 65mA/V, a function of the frame grid probably, since such
grids
can be closer to the cathode and with finer wire more
closely spaced than normal helical wound grids.
( I wonder what the latest 2006 triode gm would have become if
SS hadn't been developed ).

Anyway, give the tubes a try in SE mode, and see how it goes.
If you didn't wanna use CFB, there is always simple resistance shunt
NFB.

But I bet you will need lotsa NFB.

And consider choke feeding the anode with the 1,250V and cap coupling
the OPT.
It means the DCV is across the coupling cap and the OPT primary
can be at 0V potential, which may be a trifle safer to experiment with
especially if
the shunt FB option is tried.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ruud Broens Ruud Broens is offline

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message
:
:
: Ruud Broens wrote:
:
: :
: : Ruud Broens wrote:
: :
[...]

: : into a 3 Ohm load. With the tubes' voltage gain of about 220, the 4 Ohm
[...]

1250V plate, around 1300 V B+ , just within practical range,
as in you can use 450V caps, triple stacked with a ladder R netw.,
use 2 power transformers and stack the secondary 500V windings
but it is serious juice we're talking,
i'd incorporate some bootup diagnostics, heh,
on switchon, pull the grids with a 100 Ohm to -12V,
use an opamp to measure grid current
measure cathode current when heated up, grid still at -12V
and only if that is ok, release the G1 to the driver stage.
and something to watch over the tubes dynamically
and use common sense with layout, wire type, etc. :-)

i don't have that tube stocked, as you can see from the filename,
i thought of it as a candidate for driving electrostatic panels
directly, choke fed B+,
also, you need good sockets for such high voltages, i haven't
seen them for compactron (must be a lot easier in the US

but if someone is going the hi B+ route, with an 845 or so,
this 6HV5A may be a good 'first try' using the OT intended for the 845

R.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[...]

Maybe Yves Monmagnon can tell us about the B+ he uses with that
845 amp in progress?
Is there a reason something like this could not be done:
use a 100 Ohm series R in the 0V line, an SCR switching on
when current is above 100 mA for longer than 1 sec., breaking
the B+ line with a suitable relais ?
Or using a spark plug as a overvoltage protection for the primary
winding (/tube & sockets) in case the amp is run without a (proper)
load ?

let's rename the 6HV5A the 815c
hehe
Rudy

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ruud Broens wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message
:
:
: Ruud Broens wrote:
:
: :
: : Ruud Broens wrote:
: :
[...]

I am building a pair of 845 monos with two 845 each in parallel.
The OPT is 6k:6, Ea =1,100V, Ia for both tubes = 120mA.

I'd not like to have to use 12 pin compactron tube sockets with 1,250V.

The ESL use a 100:1 ratio step up tranny, so that if the
input V = 20Vrms, the panel V = 2,000Vrms, which is +/-2,800 peakV,
and you'd need maybe Ea = 3,500V to accomodate such a swing using
triodes
if a direct connection is anticipated.
I think I will leave that sort engineering for others to perfect.

My 845 design so far has evolved so that the power supply has approx
+600V and -600V.
These voltages are derived from a pair of voltage doublers and 4 x 470uF
x 450V
electro caps are involved across the total 1,200V.
There will be LC and RC filters, so 12 x 470uF caps are involved.
I don't like oiler caps or huge choke values and I do like lots of
capacitance
so that the final impedance values anchoring down the output tube
and its connected OPT will be nice and low and non resonant.
The +ve is applied to the anode via the OPT and -ve to the cathode via a
pair of CCS
to each cathode, and then cap bypassing is used to ground the cathodes
to 0V.
The grids are at -600V, but are cap coupled to the EL34 choke loaded
stage
which is the driver to make up to about 140Vrms.

The turn on behaviour should be docile because the CCS set ups take time
begin current conduction. Its not the voltage across a to k
that causes the blue smoke, but the current that flows, so limit the
current
and control it, and no blue smoke.

I hope to never ever have to repair or replace the OPT due to
arcing or insulation breakdown due to having a peak voltage of
2,000V across insulation including the ac peak swing upwards.

I am considering potting the OPT in the 2mm thick steel cans I just had
made
and using oil in them but that means the can would be upside down on the
chassis
with sealed terminals facing down, and sure as God made little apples,
such sealed connections would leak damn oil, and there are a large
number of connections to allow
more load matches than just one lousy match to 6 ohms.
And I don't want to face the cans upright, since that means
cable runs from the top to bottom externally. So probably I will settle
for
wax potting compound in addition to the two pack polyurethane varnishing
applied very liberally during the wind up process.
Probably this is good enough for 2,000V++...I have yet to test it all.

After a few more repair/restoration jobs I will finally be able to
devote time to
some real craft work for a few months and not perish financially.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ruud Broens wrote:

[...]

Just monitoring the cathode current is usually enough protection.
One can use low value cathode R and having excessive Ik
trigger an SCR that trips a relay that turns off the B+. This works much
better than a fuse and is re-setable.
But having high voltage +ve excursions with no load are a worry, except
that
triodes tend not to do it because of their inherent NFB; Ea rises, and
the
Ia increases, wheras a pentode Ea rises allarmingly without limitation
by increasing Ia.

And NFB also limits such excursions because its a voltage controlled
regulation mechanism.

If one allows 0.025mm per 75V for a spark gap,
then for +2,000V one needs 0.67 mm, or 26thousanths of an inch .
So a spark plug is doable.
When the spark occurs, high current flows, perhaps the cathode SCR
is trigered and the B+ is turned off, and the owner MUST connect a load
to get anywhere.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ruud Broens Ruud Broens is offline

Default The making of a triode amp

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message
:
:
:
: Ruud Broens wrote:
: :
[...]
well, the four pins closest to the plate are nc, so it should be ok
with ceramic or teflon sockets

[...]
: take time to begin current conduction. Its not the voltage across
[...]

thanks, interesting stuff.
Rudy

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

: I'd not like to have to use 12 pin compactron tube sockets with 1,250V.
:
well, the four pins closest to the plate are nc, so it should be ok
with ceramic or teflon sockets

Yes, indeed the live pin distances to anything earthy may be OK.

But hey, the large sockets for the 845 just seem like they'd resist
lightning strike...

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ruud Broens Ruud Broens is offline

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message
:
: : I'd not like to have to use 12 pin compactron tube sockets with 1,250V.
: :
: well, the four pins closest to the plate are nc, so it should be ok
: with ceramic or teflon sockets
:
: Yes, indeed the live pin distances to anything earthy may be OK.
:
: But hey, the large sockets for the 845 just seem like they'd resist
: lightning strike...
:
: Patrick Turner.

:-)
on the using of the 6HV5A for a directly driven es speaker driver,
i was not thinking about a Quad, more along a mid/high DIY panel,
quite a lively scene in NL, building those ;-),
an integrated solution, with some 3400V, 10mA for each tube,
-9.5V bias from using a regulated +8.5V supply and a 100 Ohm
cathode R should do it (if one succeeds building such a B+ supply
heaters with a ccs from that 8.5V, grid R's probably needing to
be rather low, 1K or so,
could be driven from a passive XO, probably

Rudy

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ruud Broens wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message
:
: : I'd not like to have to use 12 pin compactron tube sockets with 1,250V.
: :
: well, the four pins closest to the plate are nc, so it should be ok
: with ceramic or teflon sockets
:
: Yes, indeed the live pin distances to anything earthy may be OK.
:
: But hey, the large sockets for the 845 just seem like they'd resist
: lightning strike...
:
: Patrick Turner.

:-)
on the using of the 6HV5A for a directly driven es speaker driver,
i was not thinking about a Quad, more along a mid/high DIY panel,
quite a lively scene in NL, building those ;-),

These don'r need such a high voltage drive compared to a bass panel,
but they can still be highly capacitive to drive..

an integrated solution, with some 3400V, 10mA for each tube,
-9.5V bias from using a regulated +8.5V supply and a 100 Ohm
cathode R should do it (if one succeeds building such a B+ supply
heaters with a ccs from that 8.5V, grid R's probably needing to
be rather low, 1K or so,
could be driven from a passive XO, probably

I leave you to experiment further....

Patrick Turner.

Rudy