Posted to rec.audio.tubes
william william is offline

Default converting EL84 to triode mode

Dear all

Is there a rule of thumb to convert single-ended or push-pull EL84 from ultra-linear or pentode connection to triode connection? It seems that a 900 ohm is used to connect pin 7 (anode) and pin 9 (grid), how is such value calculated?

Would the value be the same for 6AQ5?

Thanks in advance
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 09:43:00 +0800, "william"
wrote:

Is there a rule of thumb to convert single-ended or push-pull EL84 from ultra-linear or pentode connection to triode connection? It seems that a 900 ohm is used to connect pin 7 (anode) and pin 9 (grid), how is such value calculated?

Would the value be the same for 6AQ5?

The resistor usually seen is just a grid stopper; no special
value need be calculated. Several hundred to a coupla thousand
ohms is fine; actual voltage drop is always minimal anywho.

All good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
william william is offline

sorry, what's a grid stopper?

for pentode connection, how to calculate the B+ provided to the grid?

thanks again
wrote:

Is there a rule of thumb to convert single-ended or push-pull EL84 from ultra-linear or pentode connection to triode connection? It seems that a 900 ohm is used to connect pin 7 (anode) and pin 9 (grid), how is such value calculated?

Would the value be the same for 6AQ5?

The resistor usually seen is just a grid stopper; no special
value need be calculated. Several hundred to a coupla thousand
ohms is fine; actual voltage drop is always minimal anywho.

All good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:05:49 +0800, "william"
wrote:

sorry, what's a grid stopper?

Vacuum tubes/valves have a combination of very high
possible bandwidth and normally fairly sloppy large
dimensions and large external parasitic reactances.
IOW, they'd really, really like to oscillate.

"Grid stop" is just and old fashioned term for the
series side of a low-pass filter. The tube's stray
capacitances provide the shunt side.

BTW, the second grid is conventionally called either
"G2" or the "screen". Everybody calls the first grid
the "grid".

for pentode connection, how to calculate the B+ provided to the grid?

You'll probable enjoy an old tube manual as a good
jump-off point. If not available nearby, I'd bet that
Ned has one of the RCA manuals that were reprinted
a coupla years ago, for pretty cheap. These are where
*all* the old geezers learned their way around things.
As essential to a young man's bathroom reading as
Playboy was.

All good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alan Rutlidge Alan Rutlidge is offline

thank you so much!!
wrote:

[...]

Hi William,

Just a minor point. When posting to UseNet it is generally accepted as good
ettiquette to post in plain text and to reply at the bottom of the post.
Anyhow good luck with finding more info on tubes and how to use them.

Cheers,
Alan

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
william william is offline

"Alan Rutlidge" wrote in message
thank you so much!!
wrote:

[...]

**************************

Thanks for the advice

I read everything in plain text so nver realised when I went out of my mind
and send html post...

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Hi RATs!

OK, posting protocols are pretty much local. Sorry, people get upset if
their world is turned upside down, even if it was upside down to begin

It is OK to call the resistor between the plate and the screen a screen
stopper

Does the same job as a grid stopper, in a different place. Mox nix.

You can also put a diode in the sceen stopper circuit. It is some
mumbo-jumbo idea that seems to work. Try it and see for yourself.
Diodes are cheap. Not as cheap as rude opinions in all capital letters,
but, cheap enough for anyone with access to this Internet
_____

EL84 and 6BQ5 are very similar SV-83 is close, but does have some
lower voltage ratings.

Many rich guys are sure you can tell a great tube by its markings.
Sigh. Us old guys know all we can do is listen to the tubes we actually
have and pick the ones we like by the way they sound. Life is even more
complicated than manufacuturing, but manufacturing still produces
surprises.

There are billions of tubes. In a truly random Universe, you might just
get the very best ones in your first attempt. More likely, you will try
more and change what you think sounds good as well as the tubes and
circuits It is OK, only Eyesore thinks he knew everything when he
started

Either way, somebody here or on some othe NG will know for certain you
are stupid and/or deaf. Don't worry, they are just bored and like to
type

Don't kill yourself with high voltages. Being dragged into the woods by
an entire Girl Scout troup and gang raped to death by teenage girls and
their adult leaders is the only way to go ... unless you are too old
.... us old guys don't really have a good way to die mapped out ... it
will happen however it happens.

So, enjoy your experiments and tell us about them. There is more to RAT
than personality problems, perhaps not by volume, but, we take what we
can get at these prices

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
william william is offline

Hi, good day

I suppose you mean to say EL84 and 6AQ5 are similar?

"tubegarden" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
william william is offline

cough... cough... how to put the polarity of the diode between the plate and
the screen? should a high voltage diode like IN4007 be used?

thanks

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

william wrote:

cough... cough... how to put the polarity of the diode between the plate and
the screen? should a high voltage diode like IN4007 be used?

thanks

"tubegarden" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi RATs!

OK, posting protocols are pretty much local. Sorry, people get upset if
their world is turned upside down, even if it was upside down to begin

Top posting is seen by many to be poor netiquette.

Think about it.

if you top post without your valued comments placed BELOW the post to which you
are replying
then ALL those in the group get confused about what YOU are trying to say and
reply to.
You may know what you are saying, but the group finds it hard to follow.

The diode in series with the screen of 6BQ5 6AQ5 etc should have its anode
connected to the anode of the tube;
ie, the arrow of the diode points toward the screen to allow a screen current
flow or the tube just won't work.

Don't ask me if a diode helps the fidelity or power; I have never tried this BS.

And of course at least an IN4007 should be used since tube circuits give rise to
highish peak inverse voltages
across the diode.

Patrick Turner.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

I go with local custom. Some NG's top post, some bottom post. There is
no clear correlation to quality of posts, but, bottom spewers seem to
be bitchier.

6AQ5: 7 pin

6BQ5: 9 pin

EL84: 9 pin

"I have never tried this BS" is the mating call of the closed mind.
It's OK, none of the tweaks really make any difference whatsoever, it
is just existential makework ...

Who listens to Music, anyway The sound is so glorious ...

Netiquette? Sigh. I find it amusing we choose to think we are writing
these insults in a Politically Correct style

12A6 rule!

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
william william is offline

Hi RATs!

I go with local custom. Some NG's top post, some bottom post. There is
no clear correlation to quality of posts, but, bottom spewers seem to
be bitchier.

6AQ5: 7 pin

6BQ5: 9 pin

EL84: 9 pin

"I have never tried this BS" is the mating call of the closed mind.
It's OK, none of the tweaks really make any difference whatsoever, it
is just existential makework ...

Who listens to Music, anyway The sound is so glorious ...

Netiquette? Sigh. I find it amusing we choose to think we are writing
these insults in a Politically Correct style

12A6 rule!

Happy Ears!
Al

***********************************

I thought 6BQ5 and EL84 are same stuff, not "similar"?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

william wrote:

I thought 6BQ5 and EL84 are same stuff, not "similar"?

Yes, now same tube is branded as both. I think there were two seperate
tubes, once upon a time, but, I may have that wrong, too

Sorry for confusion.

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
william william is offline

william wrote:

I thought 6BQ5 and EL84 are same stuff, not "similar"?

Yes, now same tube is branded as both. I think there were two seperate
tubes, once upon a time, but, I may have that wrong, too

Sorry for confusion.

Happy Ears!
Al
******************

no problem mate, I consider 6BQ5 and 6AQ5 are similar in the sense that they
can use similar OPT

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

tubegarden wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

Well what exactly isn't BS about connecting a diode in series with g2?

I hope you don't mind my open minded question that isn't sexy, and is not a mating
call.

It's OK, none of the tweaks really make any difference whatsoever, it
is just existential makework ...

Who listens to Music, anyway The sound is so glorious ...

Netiquette? Sigh. I find it amusing we choose to think we are writing
these insults in a Politically Correct style

Usually, there are reasons for what is done and said,
and some that is done or said is more effective for the group.

I'm for the group. I am only one small cog.

I wish that when i turn around in this machine
I do not cause unecessary noise or mayhem or confusion or belittlement.

BS isn't the best lubricant for this cog either.

Happy lystening.

Patrick Turner.

12A6 rule!

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
william william is offline

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

tubegarden wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

**************

btw how to have outlook express insert "" to provious post?

I saw that click box some years ago and couldn't find it any more?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

You can also put a diode in the sceen stopper circuit. It is some
mumbo-jumbo idea that seems to work. Try it and see for yourself.

Hmmm. 6/10 v drop across the screen supply, and what else? High
resistance to oscillatoin from the screen back to the PS? I have seen
diodes placed inline to prevent voltage dropping by reverse biasing.
Is this using the same concept?

Bob H.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phread Phread is offline

tubegarden wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

Tools Options Send Plain Text Settings for News Check
"Indent ... with (Select '') OK OK

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phread Phread is offline

tubegarden wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

A diode dropping 0.7V at 5ma would have an equivalent resistance of 140 ohms.
Might work as a stopper; how would one know without trying it, Patrick? Isn't
that the form of learning you preach?

Fred

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

tubegarden wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

I use Netscape 4.7 for the groups since about 1998 and it does it automatically.

But yeah, I dunno how to place the in front of the post I am replying to
either
when I use OE for ordinary mail.

Many ppl send me emails about electronics each week and about repair work and
new amps etc
and nearly all DO NOT use plain text because they send HTML posts, so I
convert all that rubbish into plain text on the replies, but then its hard for
them to
see what is their own posting and what is my new text, so sometimes I just use
** in front
of what I am saying so they get the drift OK.

So indeed, what does one click to make appear infront of plain text in OE?????

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Bob H." wrote:

You can also put a diode in the sceen stopper circuit. It is some
mumbo-jumbo idea that seems to work. Try it and see for yourself.

Hmmm. 6/10 v drop across the screen supply, and what else? High
resistance to oscillatoin from the screen back to the PS? I have seen
diodes placed inline to prevent voltage dropping by reverse biasing.
Is this using the same concept?

Bob H.

But just when does screen current ever try to flow backwards?

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

tubegarden wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

Please be more usefully specific.

I went to my OE, opened an email, clicked reply.
The reply window has Tools, and I see in the Tools sub-window menu that 'Options'
is not listed.

So your advice is BS.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:
"Bob H." wrote:

You can also put a diode in the sceen stopper circuit. It is some
mumbo-jumbo idea that seems to work. Try it and see for yourself.

Hmmm. 6/10 v drop across the screen supply, and what else? High
resistance to oscillatoin from the screen back to the PS? I have seen
diodes placed inline to prevent voltage dropping by reverse biasing.
Is this using the same concept?

Bob H.

But just when does screen current ever try to flow backwards?

Patrick Turner.

I was thinking more of tube oscillation affecting the power supply.
The diode reversed biased would offer a huge resistance between the
tube and the power source. Current could flow into the grid, but would
not reverse, cutting oscillation in half on one half of the cycle, in
addition to the grid stopper on the other cycle. Sort of like a half
wave rectifier. Therefore, the oscillation which could spiral out of
control could be damped enough to prevent that. Possible, maybe?

bob H.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Nelson Gietz Nelson Gietz is offline

tubegarden wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

Patrick,
Don't click reply... just go Tools/Options/General from the main menu in
OE.
That where it is on mine. Then you tick your choices on "send/receive".
Cheers,
Nelson

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

tubegarden wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

99% of the oscillations in amps using multgrid tubes are due to incorrectly
set up feedback loops around the amp which do not shelve the HF response
with zobel networks which is the art and science of "critical damping".
(Buckets of water are not required).

I have rarely ever had screen stoppers ever do much against HF oscillations and the main function
of the screen stopper resistors is to allow something to burn out or fuse where the screen current
has become excessive.
In my own amps where I have wound the OPT the leakage inductance is so low that
there are very low values of L&C reactances that encourage the
possibility of HF oscillations.
Even 470 ohms which is commonly used in guitar amps will only have a mild effect and
they typically use 2W resistors so they won't burn open which seems self defeating
and so why bother using screen stoppers at all: its a conventional thing to do theough so everyone uses a
screen stopper.
But there are none in a Quad II amp for example. Did Walker know something we don't?
Perhaps.

I always use them just in case but use 1W max, sometimes 1/4W x 270 ohms and I have had them
get hot and flame and fuse open rather than have the tube which has gone into runaway
destroy an OPT or itself.

Much more important is the control grid stopper which never should be less than 2k2,
and in may amps its much more, even 47k in a radio 6V6 output stage.

I may have once tried a series diode and have forgotten the results; hell I have tried lots of things.
But maybe there was nothing positive to remember.

I am due to book in to my Refreshment Triodologists Course at the local
University Of Pharking Old Electronicals in a month's time.
Maybe they'll cover the subject, but if you wanna know the answer sooner then FOY.

Patrick Turner.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
william william is offline

tubegarden wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

thanks! I did the Plain Text Settings for Mail only

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Bob H." wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
"Bob H." wrote:

[...]

Oscillation does not spiral out of control.
When it starts, it builds up in amplitude until the output tubes saturate, ie,

become grossly over driven, sometimes there consecutive stop start bursts of
HF oscillations
and the stop start sequence between oscillation and paralysis is heard as a
lower frequency tone especially
if the oscillations are at RF.
Most oscillator tubes in radio sets are operating as would a grossly
overloaded
tube would, and run and maximum pk-pk output and with square wave
currents; the tuned circuits make the wanted voltage output into a sinne wave
with
low level harmonics depending on the Q of the LC circuit.

Halving the wave form in many oscillators is already evident when you examine
wave forms in a typical
grid circuit of an oscillator.

But what effect a diode has in the circumstances mentioned is something I
don't know.

Patrick Turner.

bob H.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

tubegarden wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

OK, I understand. The options were already turned on for plain text for emails
and the news postings.
When someone emails me and I hit reply, their message appears on my screen
without any
and when i type out a reply the receivers say sometimes they don't notice all of
what i am saying because its seems mixed up with what they just posted.

The ' ' business seems to work in netscape, but maybe not in OE.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:

"Bob H." wrote:

You can also put a diode in the sceen stopper circuit. It is some
mumbo-jumbo idea that seems to work. Try it and see for yourself.

Hmmm. 6/10 v drop across the screen supply, and what else? High
resistance to oscillatoin from the screen back to the PS? I have seen
diodes placed inline to prevent voltage dropping by reverse biasing.
Is this using the same concept?

Bob H.

But just when does screen current ever try to flow backwards?

I don't know, maybe in a transmitter when the tube is not correctly
neutralized?

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phread Phread is offline

tubegarden wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

In OE6, if you check, "Read all messages in plain text," in Tools Options Read,
then you'll get indenting with the carat () in all your email replies. But you will lose
the ability to see html in email and news messages, and attachments won't display
in your preview window (although you will still be able to open attachments to view
them). It's not that big a deal to turn the 'all messages in plain text' option on and
off as the need arises. I don't think that option exists in OE5.

Fred

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

Oscillation does not spiral out of control.
When it starts, it builds up in amplitude until the output tubes saturate, ie,

become grossly over driven,

Yes, the tube spirals out of control, and being a power tube, can then
sustain damage to itself or the power supply.

Bob H.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

John Byrns wrote:

In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:

"Bob H." wrote:

You can also put a diode in the sceen stopper circuit. It is some
mumbo-jumbo idea that seems to work. Try it and see for yourself.

Hmmm. 6/10 v drop across the screen supply, and what else? High
resistance to oscillatoin from the screen back to the PS? I have seen
diodes placed inline to prevent voltage dropping by reverse biasing.
Is this using the same concept?

Bob H.

But just when does screen current ever try to flow backwards?

I don't know, maybe in a transmitter when the tube is not correctly
neutralized?

Regards,

John Byrns

Electrons are attracted to g2 and thus flow to the PS in normal operation.
if they were to flow in the other direction which is abnormal,
it means that g2 is an emitter of electrons.

Now control grid emission can occur when it becomes over heated, and
especially
if the the grid has some cathode material which has moved from the cathode to
the grid.
such an emitting situtation is a condition of fault, and presumably if the
screen, g2, gets hot
it could emit rather than receive electrons, but these grid & screen
conditions are
those not normal to ordinary audio or RF amplification.

So, my question remains unanswered. Why use a diode in series with the screen?

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

tubegarden wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

I presently am using OE6, which always downloads any message with html
and all attachments. When I hit reply to emails, and compose in html, it then allows me to place my text
in with the sender's text and when he gets my reply there is no distinction marks between
his text and mine; he should automatically see his original text shown with in front because I am quoting
him
and replying.
I often compose my replies to emails in plain text to avoid sending images and attachments
back since they are noty needed to be returned, and afaik, the same confusion occurs.

My solution is to mark the beginnings of my paragraphs with *** so the sender can see my
text better, ot compose above or below his undisturbed lot of text.

I am presently using a pc MADE IN 1995 AND WITH 2gb hd AND 166MhZ processor and W98se.
My sister has swapped to a laptop and didn't want her 2003 made PC with Windows XP,
80gB HD and faster processor so I now have this for my "new" set up with OE7 but for the news groups I will
probably stay
with Netscape 4.7 which works well and is simple.

I am very fortunate to have such a sister indeed!

Patrick Turner.

Fred

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Bob H." wrote:

Oscillation does not spiral out of control.
When it starts, it builds up in amplitude until the output tubes saturate, ie,

become grossly over driven,

Yes, the tube spirals out of control, and being a power tube, can then
sustain damage to itself or the power supply.

It depends on the dissipation of the anode, screen and grid.
Guitar amps are regularly driven with a 40dB overload on their inputs
but the grid current charges up the coupling cap and the tube is thus
biased off heavily, and only able to pass a kind of square wave
so the dissipation is not damaging because even with heavy metal
the duty cycle isn't 100%.
Still, outpt tubes do tend to expire more often in guitar amps than in hifi amps.
But often its the loading that is lower in guitar amps, tending towards class B,
with a tiny amount of class A wheras with hi-fi amps the loading tends towards
class A, and the tubes are not biased too near the rated dissipation level as they
are
in guitar amps. Vox AC30 is a classic example with EL84 running at 15 watts each
I find so often, and all biased from the one cathode resistance,
a cheap nasty trick because the original makers couldn't afford the 4 bias R and C
to make a network for each tube.
Quad II also has one bias R for both output tubes, and this makes bias failure more
likely.

Saturated tubes, or one saturated output tube may not cause enough Ia to flow to
make a fuse blow, and indeed can cause heat damage to OPT or PT.
Hence its why I have active over-current protection in all my amps.

Patrick Turner.

Bob H.