S. S.

Default Are good LP playing systems more sensitive to worn records

Hello I am puzzled by this. I used to play LP records with a Magnovox
Console. As you know it is a furniture like cabinet enclosing record
players, amps, and speakers, and is nothing hi-fi. Now I at last have
a set of acceptable gears to play LPs. When I tried my records on a
Linn, I noticed that the sound is amazing if the records are clean.
But if I am playing a worn record, then the sound (especially the full
orchestra played loudly) is even more horrible than from the Magnovox.
In general, are good LP playing systems more sensitive to worn
records? Or good systems should prevail regardless of whether the
records are worn or not? I appreciate your input.

S.S.
Arny Krueger

"S. S." wrote in message
Hello I am puzzled by this. I used to play LP records with a Magnovox
Console. As you know it is a furniture like cabinet enclosing record
players, amps, and speakers, and is nothing hi-fi. Now I at last have
a set of acceptable gears to play LPs. When I tried my records on a
Linn, I noticed that the sound is amazing if the records are clean.
But if I am playing a worn record, then the sound (especially the full
orchestra played loudly) is even more horrible than from the Magnovox.
In general, are good LP playing systems more sensitive to worn
records?

IME, and as a rule yes.

Or good systems should prevail regardless of whether the
records are worn or not? I appreciate your input.

Good systems do a better job of reproducing both noise and distortion, and
also music. They are in the same frequency ranges, so the equipment can
*tell* the difference. However, a system that has peaky or harsh response
can make noise and distortion sound even worse than it has to.

Gary A. Edelstein

On 22 Jan 2004 08:38:23 -0800, (S. S.) wrote:

Hello I am puzzled by this. I used to play LP records with a Magnovox
Console. As you know it is a furniture like cabinet enclosing record
players, amps, and speakers, and is nothing hi-fi. Now I at last have
a set of acceptable gears to play LPs. When I tried my records on a
Linn, I noticed that the sound is amazing if the records are clean.
But if I am playing a worn record, then the sound (especially the full
orchestra played loudly) is even more horrible than from the Magnovox.
In general, are good LP playing systems more sensitive to worn
records? Or good systems should prevail regardless of whether the
records are worn or not? I appreciate your input.

'Worn' LPs are typically damaged by a worn stylus. Playing a stereo
LP with an old mono stylus can also do similar damage. The result is
portions of the groove are actually torn away, causing mistracking and
distorted noise, often sounding like crackling. This is most
noticeable with louder passages, passages toward the inner grooves and
passages with lots of high frequencies. Increasing the tracking force
may help a bit with reducing the distortion.

A properly setup cartidge/stylus will certainly reproduce those
distortions better than an old system like yours. Your old system may
not be able to reproduce the higher frequencies where much of the
distortion exists as well, and an older tonearm/cartidge may track
with a greater tracking force than a newer system. A worn stylus in
the old system may also be tracking a different portion of the groove
than the newer, presumably unworn stylus. The portion the newer
stylus tracks may be more damaged.

Gary E

|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
S888Wheel

Hello I am puzzled by this. I used to play LP records with a Magnovox
Console. As you know it is a furniture like cabinet enclosing record
players, amps, and speakers, and is nothing hi-fi. Now I at last have
a set of acceptable gears to play LPs. When I tried my records on a
Linn, I noticed that the sound is amazing if the records are clean.
But if I am playing a worn record, then the sound (especially the full
orchestra played loudly) is even more horrible than from the Magnovox.
In general, are good LP playing systems more sensitive to worn
records? Or good systems should prevail regardless of whether the
records are worn or not? I appreciate your input.

It depends on the nature of the damage done. In many cases a better cartridge
with a smaller stylus will actually find new life in worn records by playing
deeper in the groove. It sounds like the damage you have is pretty deep and
severe.