Mike Rivers

Default Can You Hear Me Now?

Today is the anniversary of Alexander Graham Bell's first telephone
transmission.

To celebrate, throw your cell phone into the toilet today.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
John Halliburton

To celebrate, throw your cell phone into the toilet today.

No, throw away the cell phone of the stupid person taling in traffic in
front of you.

John

Richard Crowley

"John Halliburton" wrote in message

To celebrate, throw your cell phone into the toilet today.

No, throw away the cell phone of the stupid person taling in traffic
in front of you.

Over on one of the telephone newsgroups there is frequently
discussion of cellphone jammers. And just the other day someone
proposed the idea of a jammer tracker.
Electromagnetic spy vs. spy! :-)

Mark Stebbeds

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:20:46 GMT, "John Halliburton"
wrote:

No, throw away the cell phone of the stupid person taling in traffic in
front of you.

Hey, I need to make those calls.

Mark

hank alrich

Mark Stebbeds wrote:

Hey, I need to make those calls.

Folks thinking they need to do that are offering us the same auto
accident stats as do drunk drivers. But hey, an aloholic needs a drink,
too.

--
ha
Joe Sensor

John Halliburton wrote:
To celebrate, throw your cell phone into the toilet today.

No, throw away the cell phone of the stupid person taling in traffic in
front of you.

John

You mean like Dudley Moore in 'Crazy People'? That was a great scene.
John L Rice

"hank alrich" wrote in message
Mark Stebbeds wrote:

Hey, I need to make those calls.

Folks thinking they need to do that are offering us the same auto
accident stats as do drunk drivers. But hey, an aloholic needs a drink,
too.

--
ha

Well, how many accidents are cause by people having conversations with other
people in the same vehicle? ( or smacking the kids in the back seat? ;-)
Maybe we should have a law that says only one person per vehicle? I've
always thought hat people putting on makeup, shaving, reading novels and
even eating in stop and go traffic was much more dangerous than talking on a
cell phone.

John L Rice

Naren

John L Rice wrote:

Well, how many accidents are cause by people having conversations with other
people in the same vehicle?

Probably not as many. I find it interesting that this subject is raised
here because I think that cell phones cause a problem in that they place
the user in a different aural space than the car itself. It's as if part
of the mind is in a different location. Additionally, though the phone
is only on one ear, I think that the brain subconsciously ignores cues
coming to the other ear. In effect, it is like wearing headphones -
outside sounds are "masked."

Maybe we should have a law that says only one person per vehicle? I've
always thought hat people putting on makeup, shaving, reading novels and
even eating in stop and go traffic was much more dangerous than talking on a
cell phone.

Well, certainly. But some of those will get you a ticket as well.

What gets me are the drivers that weave in and out at high speeds while
on the phone.

I must confess I have once or twice consulted a map while driving so
can't get too righteous.

-Naren
Naren

Mike Rivers wrote:
Today is the anniversary of Alexander Graham Bell's first telephone
transmission.

And an adaptation of that device by Edison in 1877 led to the first
recorded sound ("Hello" on a piece of waxed paper). Yay.

I wonder how good was the fidelity, how much headroom, THD, SD
("sibilance distortion"), etc. etc. on that piece of waxed paper...

To celebrate, throw your cell phone into the toilet today.

It doesn't flush, trust me.

-Naren

Chip Wood

As I do exactly this kind of thing (R&D on Driver
Distraction) for a living, please be careful what you
casually talk about. Yes, some R&D pub has used those
provocative terms, but the research is questionable. It was
done on not very sophisticated driving simulators and the
variables measured don't have a lot to do with actual
driving under either condition. Being drunk affects balance
1st (weaving down the road) and cell phone calls don't.
Since simulated driving is almost wholly visual the results
are suspect.

Actual stats from 26,000 accidents (AAA 2003) show VERY few
accidents as a direct result from cell phone usage.

Chip Wood

While I work for Motorola, these thoughts are my own and in
no way are intended to reflect company policy.

"hank alrich" wrote in message
Hey, I need to make those calls.

Folks thinking they need to do that are offering us the

same auto
accident stats as do drunk drivers.

Mark

Actually I read that talking to another person in the car with you is
not as distracting as talking on the cell because the other person is
also aware of the traffic and will pause etc when you are about to
perform some dangerous manuver like pulling in to traffic etc. When
talking on the cell, the other person is in another world and so are
you.

Mark

Animix

I have often hung up from a cell phopne conversation while I've been driving
in my car and then tried to remember any details of my driving experience
during the conversation. Usually, I remember very little of what I was
doing/seeing/experiencing related to the action of driving the car. This was
so disturbing that I've pretty much quit making calls or taking calls on the
phone while driving. I reallly don't give a **** what *the studies* say. If
my attention is that distracted by the call, it's dangerous and
irresponsible for me to be doing it. I''m not trying to speak for everyone,
but I don't think I'm *that* different from the rest of the human race.

Just my $0.02

DJ

"John L Rice" wrote in message
I've read maps/directions too in addition to eating, cell phone talking

and
being WAY to tired to drive.

Here is a study on the effects of auditory interference while driving :

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...mages/Interfer
ence%20Simulation%20Study.pdf

--
John L Rice

"Naren" wrote in message
John L Rice wrote:

[...]

John L Rice

I'd agree that most people in the human race consider themselves to be at
least as good if not better than everyone else in the human race. Also,
most people find research ( or reading manuals ) boring an difficult to do
or absorb and are pretty good at making justifications as to why *they*
should be exempt from it.

--
John L Rice

"Naren" wrote in message
John L Rice wrote:

[...]

Dave Martin

"play on" wrote in message

I read that some restaurants and theaters are buying jammers to keep
cell phones from annoying their customers.

Not in the US, where it's illegal to use jammers.

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc

Joe Sensor

Mark wrote:

When talking on the cell, the other person is in another world and so
are you.

Two people driving and talking to each other multiplies the problem.

All to often, I am following, in front of, or next to someone on a cell
phone. Anybody that doesn't think these people are distracted from their
driving is insane.

Mark

Joe Sensor wrote:
Mark wrote:

When talking on the cell, the other person is in another world and

so
are you.

Two people driving and talking to each other multiplies the problem.

All to often, I am following, in front of, or next to someone on a

cell
phone. Anybody that doesn't think these people are distracted from

their
driving is insane.

Joe,

my bad, my statement was not clear...

When talking on the cell, the other person is in another world and so
are ___you.____

(I didn't mean ___YOU____ Joe Sensor, I meant __YOU___ the person
driving while on the cell phone.

Mark

Joe Sensor

S O'Neill wrote:

Another factor is that the study he refers to was based on police
reports, and the evidence of cell phone use was based on the officer
asking if they were on the phone. All they proved is that a reasonably
smart person would answer "no" to such a question.

Studies correlating cell phone usage vs. time of accident told a vastly
different story. The Click and Clack Brothers can tell you all about it.

I think Motorola's study of preference is the first one.

S O'Neill

Joe Sensor wrote:
S O'Neill wrote:

Another factor is that the study he refers to was based on police
reports, and the evidence of cell phone use was based on the officer
asking if they were on the phone. All they proved is that a
reasonably smart person would answer "no" to such a question.

Studies correlating cell phone usage vs. time of accident told a
vastly different story. The Click and Clack Brothers can tell you all
about it.

I think Motorola's study of preference is the first one.

I did try to skip around that. But you're absolutely right, the cell
phone manufacturers always point to that one.
Ben Bradley

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:15:54 GMT, "Dave Martin"
wrote:

"play on" wrote in message
.. .

I read that some restaurants and theaters are buying jammers to keep
cell phones from annoying their customers.

Not in the US, where it's illegal to use jammers.

I've known people in the US who didn't stop doing something just
because it's illegal. OTOH I suppose a restaurant or theater using a
jammer would be discovered and fined or shut down pretty quickly.

Would putting a faraday cage around a restaurant or theater be
legal? It seems they should put up a sign saying cellphones are
inoperable inside, in case someone tried to call an ambulance for a
heart attack victim.

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
play on

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 04:21:26 GMT, Ben Bradley
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:15:54 GMT, "Dave Martin"
wrote:

"play on" wrote in message
. ..

I read that some restaurants and theaters are buying jammers to keep
cell phones from annoying their customers.

Not in the US, where it's illegal to use jammers.

I've known people in the US who didn't stop doing something just
because it's illegal. OTOH I suppose a restaurant or theater using a
jammer would be discovered and fined or shut down pretty quickly.

Seems like if it was done right, people wouldn't know, they would
just think, oh my cell signal isn't good in here...

Al

Would putting a faraday cage around a restaurant or theater be
legal? It seems they should put up a sign saying cellphones are
inoperable inside, in case someone tried to call an ambulance for a
heart attack victim.

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc
Nashville, TN

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"S O'Neill" wrote in message ...
Joe Sensor wrote:
S O'Neill wrote:

Another factor is that the study he refers to was based on police
reports, and the evidence of cell phone use was based on the officer
asking if they were on the phone. All they proved is that a
reasonably smart person would answer "no" to such a question.

Studies correlating cell phone usage vs. time of accident told a
vastly different story. The Click and Clack Brothers can tell you all
about it.

Just don't ask them to fix you automotive problem.

DM

Mark

wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:15:54 GMT, "Dave Martin"

wrote:

"play on" wrote in message
. ..

I read that some restaurants and theaters are buying jammers to

keep
cell phones from annoying their customers.

Not in the US, where it's illegal to use jammers.

I've known people in the US who didn't stop doing something just
because it's illegal. OTOH I suppose a restaurant or theater using a
jammer would be discovered and fined or shut down pretty quickly.

Seems like if it was done right, people wouldn't know, they would
just think, oh my cell signal isn't good in here...

Seems like the place would loose buisness.

Its a social problem and should be addressed with social measures, not
technology.

Mark

Ben Bradley

wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:15:54 GMT, "Dave Martin"

wrote:

"play on" wrote in message
. ..

I read that some restaurants and theaters are buying jammers to

keep
cell phones from annoying their customers.

Not in the US, where it's illegal to use jammers.

I've known people in the US who didn't stop doing something just
because it's illegal. OTOH I suppose a restaurant or theater using a
jammer would be discovered and fined or shut down pretty quickly.

Seems like if it was done right, people wouldn't know, they would
just think, oh my cell signal isn't good in here...

Seems like the place would loose buisness.

It might have tighter business among those who don't want to hear
cellphones ringing while at the restaurant or the movies.

Its a social problem and should be addressed with social measures, not
technology.

I dunno, it seems a good Faraday shield could be effective. Those
who really want to use their cellphones can stand outside the door
among the smokers.

Mark

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Chip Wood

The best legal and logical (funny juxtaposing those words)
idea seems to be- make a faraday cage of the theater, but
install a cell phone repeater with an outdoor antenna to be
turned on when the theater has work going on, but no
audience, and shut it down when there is a performance.
That way the staff and tech crews can get their calls during
normal work hours. The audience would be warned at the door
and perhaps in the announcement that no cell calls can get
in or out.

Chip Wood

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

Would putting a faraday cage around a restaurant or

theater be
legal?

I don't see any reason why it would be illegal. In fact,

many
buildings are already about half way there right now.

Lorin David Schultz

"Animix" wrote:

I have often hung up from a cell phopne conversation while I've been
driving in my car and then tried to remember any details of my
driving experience during the conversation. Usually, I remember very
little of what I was doing/seeing/experiencing related to the action
of driving the car. This was so disturbing that I've pretty much quit
making calls or taking calls on the phone while driving. I reallly
don't give a **** what *the studies* say. If my attention is that
distracted by the call, it's dangerous and irresponsible for me to be
doing it. I''m not trying to speak for everyone,but I don't think I'm
*that* different from the rest of the human race.

Dead on. That's what did it for me too. Putting down the phone and
wondering "How did I get here?" Made me realize that I obviously wasn't
giving driving the deadly serious attention it deserves.

Studies schmuddies. I don't dial and drive anymore either.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Geoff Wood

Today is the anniversary of Alexander Graham Bell's first telephone
transmission.

To celebrate, throw your cell phone into the toilet today.

Actually, talking to a cell-phone repairer, that is actually a major reason
for mobiles being brought in for repair. They decline ...

geoff

Geoff Wood

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually I read that talking to another person in the car with you is
not as distracting as talking on the cell because the other person is
also aware of the traffic and will pause etc when you are about to
perform some dangerous manuver like pulling in to traffic etc. When
talking on the cell, the other person is in another world and so are
you.

There is nothing more impolite than a passenger in your car talking at you
while you are trying to concertrate on driving and your phone call ...

geoff

ps and why do people use those embarassingly naff ring tones ?