Josh Lawrence

Default Altec Lansing 1569a

Hello to all: I recently acquired an Altec Lansing amp that appears
to be in really good shape. However, I'm a little confused on how to
wire this thing up! I need to get signal in and get signal out. Here
is how the terminals are configured on the amp:

INPUT
-----
1
2 (marked with ground sign)
3
4

OUTPUT
------
1 64 Ohm
2 32 Ohm
3 16 Ohm
4 8 Ohm
(can't remember if there is a 4 Ohm here or not, but here is where
confusion sets in)
5 CONN 0
6 Ground sign

So if I want to connect something in and wire something out, WHERE THE
HECK DO I PUT THE WIRES? I'm assuming here that each audio connection
has two wires, hot and ground. Where does that CONN 0 factor in?

Thanks for the help,

Josh
Fred Nachbaur

Josh Lawrence wrote:
[...]

The legend on output lug #5 probably says "COMM 0" (Common, 0 ohms).
This would normally be tied to chassis ground (pin 6) and also go to the
"common" connection of your speaker (the one without the dot). The "hot"
speaker line (with the dot) would go to the appropriate tap (probably
lug #4, 8 ohm. The reason they made the common connection separable from
chassis ground is that in *some* applications it's better to have the
outputs "floating" (such as in PAs for large buildings, with long wire
runs).

There's a schematic for a different Altec-Lansing PA amp here, which
might help (or not):
http://www.triodeel.com/al1570b.gif

On the input side - well, you know which one is ground. That only leaves
three to try, to see which one(s) works! ;-)

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Ned Carlson

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:51:30 +0000, Josh Lawrence wrote:

Hello to all: I recently acquired an Altec Lansing amp that appears
to be in really good shape. However, I'm a little confused on how to
wire this thing up!

Here's a schematic for starters:
http://www.triodeel.com/al1569a.jpg

I need to get signal in and get signal out. Here
is how the terminals are configured on the amp:

INPUT
-----
1
2 (marked with ground sign)
3
4

Normally you would hook the high side of the input (+) to #1
and the ground side to #2. Unless, say, you were
using an Altec 1567A or 436B as a preamp, in which case
you'd use the Altec 4665 plugin transformer and
hook the high to 4, low to 3, and the ground line to 2.

OUTPUT
------
1 64 Ohm
2 32 Ohm
3 16 Ohm
4 8 Ohm
(can't remember if there is a 4 Ohm here or not, but here is where
confusion sets in)

Actually, it's 1 = 64 ohm/7OV line, then 16,8, and 4 ohms,
then COMMON-0 then Ground. On a home system you'd strap 0 and
ground, then cconnect the speaker - to 0, and the speaker +
to whatever ohm speaker you use.

The 1569A was made for institutional public address systems
and thus is set up so either or both the input or output
can be "floated" from ground if necessary. Thus it may appear
a bit confusing to people who are used to consumer equipment.

Here's a tip: The 5K bias controls are often crapped out, and
even worse you can turn the bias down (to 0) to where you can
burn up the output tubes.So I'd put in a decent 10K control
in series with a 5K resistor to ground, so someone can't
inadverantly zero the bias...

--
Ned Carlson Triode Electronics Chicago,IL
www.triodeelectronics.com

doug

"Josh Lawrence" wrote in message
om...
[...]