Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.tech,alt.video.dvd
come_mon_come_mon! come_mon_come_mon! is offline

Default NICAM channels bundled together after converting DVD video

Hi,

I recorded one DVD movie and burnt DVD disc for it on DVD-RW. However,
I found DVD format too inconvinence for me to backup so I used TSUNAMI
MPEG DVD EasyPack Suite and converted the DVD chapter to MPEG-2
format. However, when I played back the converted MPEG-2 file, I found
left and right NICAM audio channels mixed into one and all video
players available (VLC media player, Windows Media Player, Real
player, QuckTimer player) play the audio channels at the same time
(that is, I heard 2 languages simultaneously). Could anyone tell me
how to fix the problem ?

PS: the audio formats available for TSUNAMI MPEG DVD EasyPack Suite
conversion program were MPEG-1 Audio Layer II, Linear PCM & Dolby
Digital (default I choosed this).
Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.tech,alt.video.dvd
Ken Maltby Ken Maltby is offline

"come_mon_come_mon!" wrote in message
Hi,

I recorded one DVD movie and burnt DVD disc for it on DVD-RW. However,
I found DVD format too inconvinence for me to backup so I used TSUNAMI
MPEG DVD EasyPack Suite and converted the DVD chapter to MPEG-2
format. However, when I played back the converted MPEG-2 file, I found
left and right NICAM audio channels mixed into one and all video
players available (VLC media player, Windows Media Player, Real
player, QuckTimer player) play the audio channels at the same time
(that is, I heard 2 languages simultaneously). Could anyone tell me
how to fix the problem ?

PS: the audio formats available for TSUNAMI MPEG DVD EasyPack Suite
conversion program were MPEG-1 Audio Layer II, Linear PCM & Dolby
Digital (default I choosed this).

Why did you make a "DVD" with NICAM audio? How did you
do so, what equipment and software? (Make & Model/version)

The DVD Specifications that I am familuar with, make no
mention of NICAM audio. The use of two mono audio streams
within one "stereo" audio stream, has been implemented in DVD
authoring from the begining.

What do you get if you demux these "DVD"s ? What audio file?
If they contain Stereo audio streams, can you play each channel
separately? VLC lets you select the sepparate audio channels, of
a stereo audio stream, to playback.

Luck;
Ken

Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.tech,alt.video.dvd

On 11$B7n(B27$BF|(B, $B28a(B9$B;~(B34$BJ,(B, "Ken Maltby" wrote:
"come_mon_come_mon!" wrote in message

Why did you make a "DVD" with NICAM audio? How did you
do so, what equipment and software? (Make & Model/version)

Because I want to keep both audio channels. My DVD HDD recorder can do
this. It's GIEC (a China brand) GK-9300.

The DVD Specifications that I am familuar with, make no
mention of NICAM audio. The use of two mono audio streams
within one "stereo" audio stream, has been implemented in DVD
authoring from the begining.

What do you get if you demux these "DVD"s ? What audio file?

I don't know how to demux DVD. What software can do this ?

If they contain Stereo audio streams, can you play each channel
separately? VLC lets you select the sepparate audio channels, of
a stereo audio stream, to playback.

Luck;
Ken

VLC did let me select stereo / reverse stereo / left / right audio
channel, but no matter which one I choosed, I got the same result.
Both left / right audio channels were played at the same time.
Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.tech,alt.video.dvd
come_mon_come_mon! come_mon_come_mon! is offline

On 11$B7n(B27$BF|(B, $B28a(B9$B;~(B34$BJ,(B, "Ken Maltby" wrote:
"come_mon_come_mon!" wrote in message

Why did you make a "DVD" with NICAM audio? How did you
do so, what equipment and software? (Make & Model/version)

I did this with GIEC GK-9300 DVD HDD recorder (a China brand recorder)

The DVD Specifications that I am familuar with, make no
mention of NICAM audio. The use of two mono audio streams
within one "stereo" audio stream, has been implemented in DVD
authoring from the begining.

What do you get if you demux these "DVD"s ? What audio file?

What software can demux DVD ?

If they contain Stereo audio streams, can you play each channel
separately? VLC lets you select the sepparate audio channels, of
a stereo audio stream, to playback.

Luck;
Ken

VLC did allow me to select stereo / reverse stereo / left / right
channels. But no matter which one I choosed, I got both audio channels
played at the same time.
Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.tech,alt.video.dvd
Ken Maltby Ken Maltby is offline

"come_mon_come_mon!" wrote in message
On 11$B7n(B27$BF|(B, $B28a(B9$B;~(B34$BJ,(B, "Ken Maltby" wrote:
"come_mon_come_mon!" wrote in message

Why did you make a "DVD" with NICAM audio? How did you
do so, what equipment and software? (Make & Model/version)

I did this with GIEC GK-9300 DVD HDD recorder (a China brand recorder)

The DVD Specifications that I am familuar with, make no
mention of NICAM audio. The use of two mono audio streams
within one "stereo" audio stream, has been implemented in DVD
authoring from the begining.

What do you get if you demux these "DVD"s ? What audio file?

What software can demux DVD ?

Most any MPEG editing software, actually.
I like www.VideoReDo.com myself. Their new
TVSuite version includes the means to select from the
streams in a DVD title.

If they contain Stereo audio streams, can you play each channel
separately? VLC lets you select the sepparate audio channels, of
a stereo audio stream, to playback.

Luck;
Ken

VLC did allow me to select stereo / reverse stereo / left / right
channels. But no matter which one I choosed, I got both audio channels
played at the same time.

On the features listing for your recorder there is mention
of dealing with the NICAM audio mode. It appears that you
want it to be set to 2 mono channels to make the kind of
DVDs you appear to want. NICAM has eight modes but
only four are in use, one of them is with 2 mono channels.
It sounds like you have the recorder treating your 2 mono
channels source as stereo and recording it as mono mixing
both channels. (As if someone told it to make 2 channel
mono audio instead of 2 mono channels.)

Luck;
Ken

Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.tech,alt.video.dvd

wrote:
[...]

P.S. If you have access to a copy of the "TMPGEnc DVD
Author" 1.5 or 1.6 it has settings to author DVDs with
seprate mono channels.

Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.tech,alt.video.dvd

On 11¤ë28¤é, ¤W¤È10®É44¤À, "Ken Maltby" wrote:
"Ken Maltby" wrote in message

"come_mon_come_mon!" wrote in message
On 11¤ë27¤é, ¤U¤È9®É34¤À, "Ken Maltby"
wrote:
[...]

seprate mono channels.- ÁôÂóQ¤Þ¥Î¤å¦r -

- Åã¥Ü³Q¤Þ¥Î¤å¦r -

Tks, I used TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 with DivX Authoring and tried convert
sample (about 3 mins.) of video with preliminary success.

I started a project and I added one MPEG2 file as 'Source'. In Clip -
Audio - Audio stream mode, I selected Bilingual (Audio input 1 left
channel to Audio 1, right to Audio 2). Then I completed step for Menu,
Simulation & Output steps. The final output .vob file could be played
in vlc media player and it allowed me to choose any audio channel to
hear by selecting left or right channel.

The selected video clip was only a few minutes only. I would like to
ask if I convert a video clip over 1 hour, will the output be a set
of .vob files instead of single .vob file?

Below were the output files of my tested video clip:

C:\Documents and Settings\felix\My Documents\TMPGEnc DVD Author
3\VIDEO_TS

29/11/2008 04:58 DIR .
29/11/2008 04:58 DIR ..
29/11/2008 05:02 55,732,224 VTS_01_1.VOB
29/11/2008 05:01 8,192 VIDEO_TS.IFO
29/11/2008 05:01 8,192 VIDEO_TS.BUP
29/11/2008 05:01 12,288 VTS_01_0.IFO
29/11/2008 05:02 12,288 VTS_01_0.BUP
Posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.tech,alt.video.dvd

wrote:
[...]

TDA 1.6 has an "Add DVD video" button and process
that lets you select a title from the DVD-RW disk that your
DVD Recorder makes, or any other DVD. During the
process you can have it save to your harddrive in a
"Destination folder", as .mpg files. If TDA 3 works the
same way, you will have your MPEG files, from that
process. The .mpg files remain in the "Destination folder"
until you delete them, so you can close TDA after
extracting the title, and use the .mpg files as you wish.

You can check that the "Destination folder".mpg files
played in VLC also alow you to select the audio as you
want.

(TDA 3 may have a "Source Wizard" button to start
the process I described.)

Luck;
Ken