Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

Default Dynaco vs. Hammond Xfs

Would you trade old Dynaco (cloth) Xfrs, Power & OPT for both ST-70 &
MKIIIs, for new Hammond ones? Which would you keep or does it make much
difference?

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Feb 14, 1:40*am, "West" wrote:
Would you trade old Dynaco (cloth) Xfrs, Power & OPT for both ST-70 &
MKIIIs, for new Hammond ones? Which would you keep or does it make much
difference?

Before that question may be answered with any degree of accuracy, you
would have to define the reasons for such a trade.

a) The existing Dynaco transformers are perfectly adequate for the
intended use assuming that the unit is properly maintained, the tubes
are good and the filter and board capacitors are good. A 45 year track
record supports this statement.
b) Very minor modifications to the main power-suppy will change that
"adequate" to "rugged and bullet-proof" for the power-transformer.
This at the cost of derating the amp by about 5 watts or so.
c) Various modifications or outright replacement of the circuit board
will overcome several other perceived deficiencies of these amps - at
a significantly lower cost than new iron. Patrick Turner has a
"complete" rebuild on his website that takes this option pretty much
to its logical conclusion.
d) If one wishes to replace the iron as suggested, it would be far
more useful to simply build a "New" amp around the "New" iron vs. a
simple substitution. In point-of-fact a simple substitution will only
continue many of the same perceived deficiencies only with new iron -
the only direct advantage being with the power transformer - and that
of questionable utility assuming a) and/or b) above.

So, if the question is to replace for the sake of reliability - No.
Any advantage achieved would be marginal at best.

For the sake of better sound - No, or not until any-of-several other
more productive modifications were already completed and tested.

Because one is curious - Perhaps. But that assumes that one has both
the ears to appreciate tiny increments and subtle results, and the
skills to effect the changes. Both are questionable in this case.

As part of a total rebuild - sure. But then it ain't nohow a Dynaco
any more unless one repeats the same inadequacies and limitations. And
if one does not, why call it a Dynaco?

With a complete change-of-iron, really one is left only with the
chassis and the choke in both these cases. Dynaco used the cheapest
bulk parts they could find from sockets to boards to point-to-point
wire to switches and pots. With a massive rebuild such as is
anticipated, all of those items would normally be changed - new wine
in an old skin. That was a questionable option 2000 years ago, and is
questionable today.

This very question, by the way, has been discussed nearly ad-nauseum
in this and various other venues in the past - with the OP's
participation it seems in several cases. So, one does wonder why this
question was posted other than for attention.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
legg legg is offline

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 06:40:56 GMT, "West" wrote:

Would you trade old Dynaco (cloth) Xfrs, Power & OPT for both ST-70 &
MKIIIs, for new Hammond ones? Which would you keep or does it make much
difference?

When I was working with Williamson Ultralinear circuits that had
burned out Dynaco transformers (tar everywhere), I found the newer
Hammond parts to function perfectly well. For repairing a brand-name
product, though, I'd try to stick to original parts, where practical.

I recovered the Dynaco laminations for use elsewhere.

RL
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sal Brisindi Sal Brisindi is offline

West wrote:
Would you trade old Dynaco (cloth) Xfrs, Power & OPT for both ST-70 &
MKIIIs, for new Hammond ones? Which would you keep or does it make much
difference?

west

The Dynaco ST-70 audio transformers are highly regarded but the original
power transformer was not as they were to small for the amp and get
pretty hot after a few hours.

Just my opinion,
Sal

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Feb 14, 8:46*am, legg wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 06:40:56 GMT, "West" wrote:
Would you trade old Dynaco (cloth) Xfrs, Power & OPT for both ST-70 &
MKIIIs, for new Hammond ones? Which would you keep or does it make much
difference?

When I was working with Williamson Ultralinear circuits that had
burned out Dynaco transformers (tar everywhere), I found the newer
Hammond parts to *function perfectly well. For repairing a brand-name
product, though, I'd try to stick to original parts, where practical.

I recovered the Dynaco laminations for use elsewhere.

RL

Dynaco-branded transformers were never potted. Althought the same/very
similar iron was used by Acrosound and was potted. Are you sure it was
"tar"?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
ElectroJunk ElectroJunk is offline

there goes peter again stating facts when he has none.
i know its hard but maybe sometimes peter you should just keep your know it
all mouth shut as not to overload your arse.
mit

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message
On Feb 14, 8:46 am, legg wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 06:40:56 GMT, "West" wrote:

Dynaco-branded transformers were never potted. Althought the same/very
similar iron was used by Acrosound and was potted. Are you sure it was
"tar"?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Feb 14, 10:16*am, "ElectroJunk" wrote:
there goes peter again stating facts when he has none.
i know its hard but maybe sometimes peter you should just keep your know it
all mouth shut as not to overload your arse.

Please point to a potted Dynaco transformer - more-so, in the units
under discussion.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Feb 14, 2:22*pm, Jon Yaeger wrote:
On 2/14/08 11:25 AM, in article
, "Peter

Wieck" wrote:
On Feb 14, 10:16*am, "ElectroJunk" wrote:
there goes peter again stating facts when he has none.
i know its hard but maybe sometimes peter you should just keep your know it
all mouth shut as not to overload your arse.

Please point to a potted Dynaco transformer - more-so, in the units
under discussion.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

None of the OEM transformers in my Dynaco ST-70 are potted. *However, I do
have some Dynaco A-420 transformers which are definitely potted.

Many older trannies used tar and fish paper between the windings and the
bells, but they were not "potted" in the traditional sense.

Jon

Yeah, and thanks! Henry pointed me to the actual sales literature from
Dynaco. They were separate units, not part of anything they sold as an
assembled module.

Learn something new every day - I hope.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article
,

Wieck" wrote:
[...]

Are you sure some of the early mono Dynaco kits didn't use OPTs in a
can? I vaguely remember Dynaco amps of this description, but don't know
what was in the "can", if what was inside was "potted" or not.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

On 2/14/08 4:48 PM, in article
, "Bret
Ludwig" wrote:

On Feb 14, 1:55 pm, Jon Yaeger wrote:
On 2/14/08 2:48 PM, in article
, "Bret

Ludwig" wrote:
Hammond's output transformers are usually considered guitar/utility
grade, although specific ones may be suited to hi-fi use.

The Dyna output transformers in ST70s are suited to hi-fi use but are
not terrifically good, they are not as good as what is found in
Fishers and Scotts sometimes and definitely not up to the quality of
the top Acro, Peerless or UTC units. Freed and others made some great
ones too.

The ST70's power transformer is perfectly good except for being
undersized. Replacement with an appropriate Hammond, Schumacher or any
other PT having the required voltages and current capacities fixes in
a satisfactory manner one of the main problems with the ST70.

With the stock output transformer the ST70 can be a fairly good
amplifier.

The stock Eico ST-70 power tranny makes a great bolt-in replacement for the
OEM Dyna ST-70. Voltages are perfect and it runs a LOT cooler.

They're still a 50 year old part and should be left in the Eico unit
and a new unit bought from a vendor. My guess is that an Eico unit
will bring more on eBay than the cost of such a transformer if you
shop around.

Is the B+ "perfect" or rather high when one sensibly removes the tube
rectifier and uses a solid state unit? New units are sometimes wound
with windings for bridge rectifiers which is more efficient and frees
the space of the 5V winding up for more copper for the HV and 6.3V
windings.

Or is there some huge surplus of the Eico transformer available
cheaply enough one can overlook its age and inferior insulation
materials?

IIRC the Eico, though ugly, uses a decent Peerless opt and can be
made into a better amp than the ST70 itself. It's like putting
Mercedes engines in Kias.

Bret,

Aren't you the fellow who butchers vintage amps for the trannies to use them
for guitar amps? What, an epiphany??

I wouldn't butcher an Eico amp just for the power iron, but I would buy an
orphaned one from eBay.

If you wanted to get a new tranny, I'm sure Heyboer would gladly wind one
for you. I think I paid about $40 - $50 for the used Eico which is
certainly less than I'd have to pay a winder. Yes, it's 50 years old, but
so am I . . .

Both the Eico and Dyna use a 5AR4 rectifier. Of course, if you use SS the
B+ will rise by about 17 V, IIRC. The it'll be too much for the filter
caps. But we're not talking about a conversion here, just a bolt-in
substitution.

I don't agree that Peerless wound Eico iron . . . at least not the iron that
I'm familiar with. IIRC, Heyboer did. As a matter of fact, I purchased an
upgraded power XMFR for an HF-87 from them.

IMHO, the iron in the HF-87 was some of the best wound in the USA. I also
think the Eico ST70 outputs equal or better the Dyna.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
robert casey robert casey is offline

West wrote:

Would you trade old Dynaco (cloth) Xfrs, Power & OPT for both ST-70 &
MKIIIs, for new Hammond ones? Which would you keep or does it make much
difference?

west

You mean cloth insulation on the leads? If that looks to be in poor
shape, use some heat shrink or change the leads to fix that. The cloth
is not used in the windings themselves.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
MarkS MarkS is offline

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
Hammond's output transformers are usually considered guitar/utility
grade, although specific ones may be suited to hi-fi use.

Dyna specifies their transformers 20-20K Hz while Hammond is 30-30K Hz.
Dyna's alternate rating of 30-15K Hz is specified at twice the 20-20K power.
So, you can't really compare a 60w Hammond 1650N to a Dyna 431. Use the
Hammonds at 1/2 their rated power, then, not too bad.
Regards,
Mark

The Dyna output transformers in ST70s are suited to hi-fi use but are
not terrifically good, they are not as good as what is found in
Fishers and Scotts sometimes and definitely not up to the quality of
the top Acro, Peerless or UTC units. Freed and others made some great
ones too.

The ST70's power transformer is perfectly good except for being
undersized. Replacement with an appropriate Hammond, Schumacher or any
other PT having the required voltages and current capacities fixes in
a satisfactory manner one of the main problems with the ST70.

With the stock output transformer the ST70 can be a fairly good
amplifier.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Feb 14, 4:43*pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article
,

--
Surf my web pages at, *http://fmamradios.com/- Hide quoted text -

Turns out that Dynaco did put out potted transformers under their
label. But they did not install them in any amps of which I am
familiar. That would include the MK-II, III, IV, ST-70, 35, SCA-35. I
am unaware of any actual MK-I made for purchase - I expect there was
one at some point. There was also the FMA2 at least as a schematic,
but that was half-a-ST35, so unlikely to be potted.

Hafler was a cheap SOB, I can see him rebadging some leftover potted
Acrosonic OPTs as Dynaco (Per my pointer (thank you!) from Henry, the
A420), but I cannot see him investing in potting transformers in his
production (yeah, right) items.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

Thanks for all the responses. They will help me to make some decisions.
Can we now discuss the merits of the Dynaco MKIII Xfrs? They are
considerably larger, run cooler and I believe, have better specs. Very
little is mentioned about the MKIII. Any comments? Thanks in advance.

west

"West" wrote in message news:YnRsj.579$Cs.403@trnddc04...
Would you trade old Dynaco (cloth) Xfrs, Power & OPT for both ST-70 &
MKIIIs, for new Hammond ones? Which would you keep or does it make much
difference?

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Multi-grid Multi-grid is offline

On Feb 15, 5:41*pm, "West" wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. They will help me to make some decisions.
Can we now discuss the merits of the Dynaco MKIII Xfrs? *They are
considerably larger, run cooler and I believe, have better specs. Very
little is mentioned about the MKIII. Any comments? Thanks in advance.

west

"West" wrote in messagenews:YnRsj.579$Cs.403@trnddc04....
Would you trade old Dynaco (cloth) Xfrs, Power & OPT for both ST-70 &
MKIIIs, for new Hammond ones? Which would you keep or does it make much
difference?

west

The Hammond 1650R is one of its flyers. excellent, and beefy. I'd take
it ahead of any of the Mk.ii/iii outputs. The smaller A470 from the St.
70 and Mk.iv are better than the A430/431 but I'd still take the big
Hammond. It sounds quite good.
cheers,
Douglas

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article 7yotj.30$k_4.4@trnddc04, West at wrote on
2/15/08 5:41 PM:

Thanks for all the responses. They will help me to make some decisions.
Can we now discuss the merits of the Dynaco MKIII Xfrs? They are
considerably larger, run cooler and I believe, have better specs. Very
little is mentioned about the MKIII. Any comments? Thanks in advance.

west

"West" wrote in message news:YnRsj.579$Cs.403@trnddc04...
Would you trade old Dynaco (cloth) Xfrs, Power & OPT for both ST-70 &
MKIIIs, for new Hammond ones? Which would you keep or does it make much
difference?

west

Pest,

Using a bare minimum of effort and imagination, go visit:
http://store.triodestore.com/dytr.html

There you will see:

1. Original specs for Dynaco Transformers!
http://www.triodeel.com/images/dynaxfmr.pdf

2. A comparison test among Hammond, Magnequest, Dynaco & Handwound XFMRs for
the ST35 application. Granted, the ST35 is not the ST70 or MKIII, but you
get the idea! http://triodeel.com/pdf/xfmrshootout.pdf

Do you REALLY want to know even MORE about these XMFRS? Then ask Ned
Carlson of Triode.

Now, there's your answers, but you won't be happy, because once again the
Garage Trader has told you where to go!!!

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

I feel sorry for you. Don't you realize what a fool your making out of
yourself? Are you not too old to "sound down" someone? You're only
displaying immaturity and ignorance. Grow up dude!

"West" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Feb 18, 7:58*pm, "West" wrote:
I feel sorry for you. Don't you realize what a fool your making out of
yourself? Are you not too old to "sound down" someone? You're only
displaying immaturity and ignorance. Grow up dude!

Pillock:

We are waiting with 'bated breath your 'breadboard' results. Since
none are forthcoming, complete with schematic and pictures! Otherwise
it is to be assumed that your question with reference to "Sudden B+"
was another troll for attention. Inasmuch as you have asked the
question several times before, for RATs to even hope that something
might actually come of it is rather futile... please prove me wrong!

Given that Jon (and others) have given you sound, apt and on-point
advice on this thread, perhaps you should accept some of it. Yes, you
may have resistance in taking advice from those who have actually
"done" things with tubes - but after all, that is the point of all
this, isn't it? Don't feel compelled to shoot the messenger because he
happens not to like the recipient of the message. That would strongly
suggest that you are ignorant. And you would not want that, would
you?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Default Curriculum recommendations for West the Pest

I'm a fool because I waste time giving you useful information and you don't
have the wherewithal to grasp it.

In light of your obvious deficiencies, may I recommend some courses to
augment your ignorance? To wit:

1. Google for Idiots. How to make the most out of internet searches.

2. Intro to Buddhism. Will give you really great ideas for your incessant
quest for attention, with questions such as: e.g. "What is the sound of
one hand clapping? "What did your face look like before you were born."
etc.

3. Remedial grammar and composition. For obvious reasons.

4. Morality & ethics. An intro.

5. Epistemology and Logic, aka Philosophy 101

6. And of course, Manners, which I fear is no longer taught anywhere.

ES&D.

Jon

in article FQpuj.10681$k_4.8040@trnddc04, West at wrote on
2/18/08 7:58 PM:

"West" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

You really make me chuckle because you think that your so witty. You call me
names and want me to take a course in manners. Oh, again I repeat my
assertion ... everywhere that the Narcissist Wiecked went, Jon Lamb was sure
to go.. Check all the archives, especially the nasty diatribes it's Wiecked
followed by the little lamb, jon.
Remember Jon, the only reason your mad at me is that I exposed your
dishonest practices on ebay. Ouch! that must really hurt. I like attention
and could always count on getting it from my 2 ankle nippers.

Thanks for the laughs,
west

"West" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Ah West, you lying sack of ****.

You never exposed any dishonesty or other malfeasance. I asked you several
times to give credible evidence but the fact is that YOU CAN'T. My eBay and
Audiogon ratings speak for themselves.

All you have managed to do is libel and slander. And even that you do
poorly. Didn't Jute teach you better?

Jon

in article D2uuj.37357$we5.31575@trnddc02, West at wrote on
2/19/08 12:46 AM:

"West" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

I and several others have exposed your dishonest practices many times. Most
informed ppl know that those ratings don't mean a thing...but if you must
use those ratings for proof of your honesty ...then that is most certainly
pathetic. You have been exposed Jon Yaeger. Keep a low profile and perhaps
after a few years people will forget. If you don't want to take my word for
it then take a poll on this NG regarding your honesty. I know you will never
do it. CASE CLOSED!

&
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

You CLAIM you have, but NEVER submitted ANY real examples. There is nothing
to expose except your bull****. Prove me wrong. Take a poll if you want to
-- you are too lazy and incompetent to make it happen . . .

If you can't or won't provide actual examples, then shut the **** up.

Jon

in article oZLuj.2326$kI4.45@trnddc05, West at wrote on
2/19/08 9:09 PM:

"West" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Feb 19, 9:09*pm, "West" wrote:

Remember Jon, the only reason your mad at me is that I exposed your
dishonest practices on ebay.

Pillock:

All you have done is exposed yourself for an ignorant, pretentious
liar, but for all that a mere shadow of the pretense and lies of your
"boss".

However, as you are in the mood, why not actually prove your blather
with some actual, specific, examples that are verifiable by an
independent third party - citing eBay feedback ought to be enough.

Or, of course, we could compare your direct lies when listing a hybrid
pre-amp as "All Tube"... and in another venue as "hybrid"...

There are lies and there are damned lies. You manage both with equal
facility. That is one helluva legacy.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

ROTFL....and the jon Lamb was sure to go.(wish I knew the ascii character
for a musical note).

hammond c3 for sale mike Pro Audio 16 April 12th 06 09:05 PM
hammond in the cold waxley Vacuum Tubes 3 November 27th 05 11:53 PM
FA: Hammond PR-40 Tone Cab. Amp - for B3 Stephen Marsh Marketplace 0 December 18th 03 02:15 AM
Hammond A100- another hammond question Fill X Pro Audio 5 August 2nd 03 07:06 AM
New Hammond B-3 ? Rob Adelman Pro Audio 12 July 30th 03 12:56 AM