Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Dolby Digital "AC-3" Original Standards

Just wanted to clear up a few facets on how the most widely used
digital discrete-5channel surround sound format works.

First, is the maximum bit-rate around 196kbps per channel, or is that
the summed bitrate of all channels combined?

Next, if I understand correctly, Dolby Digital does not run all 5 main
channels at the maximum bitrate at all times. Does this mean it
"pools" the maximum bitrate for the *busiest* channel(s) at any given
point in the soundtrack? And what is the lowest bitrate a "quiet"
channel allowed to run at?

Finally, is the LFE(sub) channel runnng at a fixed bitrate that
doesn't vary like the 5 mains?

Thanks for any input you can provide for my ??s!

-ChrisCoaster
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message

Just wanted to clear up a few facets on how the most
widely used digital discrete-5-channel surround sound
format works.

First, is the maximum bit-rate around 196kbps per
channel, or is that the summed bitrate of all channels
combined?

Do the math. Dolby digital runs over the same kind of digital channel as 48
KHz 2-channel PCM.

I have an audio DAC that will lock up on a DD digital stream. It reports
that it is 48 KHz 2-channel PCM. It puts out some pretty good white noise.

Total bitrate = 2 * 16 * 48 KHz = 1536 kbps.

However, while there are 6 discrete channels, one of them has a very low
data rate, because it is sharply low pass filtered.

1536 kbps / 5.1 = 301. kbps

1536 kbps / 5 = 307.2 kbps

Next, if I understand correctly, Dolby Digital does not
run all 5 main channels at the maximum bitrate at all
times. Does this mean it "pools" the maximum bitrate for
the *busiest* channel(s) at any given point in the
soundtrack?

What you are asking is whether DD is VBR.

DD can be VBR. Standard decoders can handle the feature if it appears in the
bitstream.

And what is the lowest bitrate a "quiet"
channel allowed to run at?

It's not about quiet, its about complexity. But of course a totally dead
channel has zero complexity = essentially zero data rate.

Finally, is the LFE(sub) channel running at a fixed
bitrate that doesn't vary like the 5 mains?

AFAIK, the LFE can be VBR as well.