Posted to rec.audio.tech,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
Kompu Kid Kompu Kid is offline

Default Unable to record or use voice recognition on Gateway PC

Hello All:

I just got aan Gateway computer from a friend. It is in really good
shape. The computer has "Intel Audio Studio" as an interface to the
soundcard, When I look at various places including my voice
recognition software and Nero's sound recording components "Sigma
Audio" appears as the "input" and "output" device.

I am able to play music -- internet radio, mp3's, etc.-- on the
computer. However, when I try to record sound either through a
microphone or from an internet broadcast, any software I use indicates
zero level of sound.

I checked everything through Intel Audio Studio and XP's own audio
settings software that nothing is disabled or muted.

No luck after about an hour of playing around.

Any suggestions?

Deguza
Posted to rec.audio.tech,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
§ñühwØ£f §ñühwØ£f is offline

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 00:52:39 -0700, Kompu Kid aided th' terraists with the
following claims :

Hello All:

I just got aan Gateway computer from a friend. It is in really good
shape. The computer has "Intel Audio Studio" as an interface to the
soundcard, When I look at various places including my voice
recognition software and Nero's sound recording components "Sigma
Audio" appears as the "input" and "output" device.

I am able to play music -- internet radio, mp3's, etc.-- on the
computer. However, when I try to record sound either through a
microphone or from an internet broadcast, any software I use indicates
zero level of sound.

I checked everything through Intel Audio Studio and XP's own audio
settings software that nothing is disabled or muted.

No luck after about an hour of playing around.

Any suggestions?

Deguza

Post model number of Gateway computer as well as info from Control
PanelMultimedia and also under "devices".

See if the drivers are installed by clicking on the driver tab.
Or upgrade to linux and use alsaconfig to get everything working

http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg
Posted to rec.audio.tech,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
chuckcar chuckcar is offline

Kompu Kid wrote in
:

Hello All:

I just got aan Gateway computer from a friend. It is in really good
shape. The computer has "Intel Audio Studio" as an interface to the
soundcard, When I look at various places including my voice
recognition software and Nero's sound recording components "Sigma
Audio" appears as the "input" and "output" device.

I am able to play music -- internet radio, mp3's, etc.-- on the
computer. However, when I try to record sound either through a
microphone or from an internet broadcast, any software I use indicates
zero level of sound.

I checked everything through Intel Audio Studio and XP's own audio
settings software that nothing is disabled or muted.

No luck after about an hour of playing around.

Any suggestions?

Double check that the audio plugs are where they're supposed to be at the
back of the computer. With most consumer computers the colour of the plug
matches the colour of the jack. Use a trouble light, you'll probably need
it.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Posted to rec.audio.tech,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech

On Oct 12, 9:34*am, §ñühwØ£f wrote:
[...]

can make you commit atrocities" - Voltairehttp://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg

After weeks of dickering I solved part of the problem:

I am now able to record from the microphone.

However, I am still not able to record any Internet radio broadcasts.

The computer is a GM5066E. Support information for this computer is at
http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/10...008881nv.shtml . However, I
could not find anything there that would solve my problem.

The control panel says that I have a Sigma Tel Audio default device.
It is installed and Windows XP says that it is working properly.

Under hardware, I see Hauppauge Win TV PVR PCI II (26xxx) sound video
and game controller. Again Windows XP claims that it is working
properly.

I have a feeling that my problem is not actually caused by hardware or
software malfunctioning. The software is simply not written to feed
the sound coming from Internet to the recording software-- I am using
Nero Sound Trax.

On this gateway computer, under Nero I get three choices for the
source of sound:
line in, rear microphone, and microphone.

Yet, on an older computer that worked properly I would also see a
"wave" among the sources of sound.

Any comments and help would be appreciated.

Deguza
Posted to rec.audio.tech,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
[email protected] Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov is offline

Give VLC a try http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

--

You come up with a better tittle
http://dilidou.com/img/img1/20081103...tion_25_21.jpg

Posted to rec.audio.tech,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech

"Kompu Kid" wrote ...
I have a feeling that my problem is not actually caused by hardware or
software malfunctioning. The software is simply not written to feed
the sound coming from Internet to the recording software-- I am using
Nero Sound Trax.

On this gateway computer, under Nero I get three choices for the
source of sound:
line in, rear microphone, and microphone.

Yet, on an older computer that worked properly I would also see a
"wave" among the sources of sound.

Any comments and help would be appreciated.

Assuming you are asking about audio recording (vs. video with
audio recording.)

There are some applications and utilities that solve the problem
of "record what you hear". My favorite is "Total Recorder" from
www.highcriteria.com It is very-cheap-ware at $18

Assuming, of course, that you have checked to make sure you have
the correct and latest audio driver(s).

Posted to rec.audio.tech,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech

On Nov 3, 9:55*pm, wrote:
*Kompu Kid wrote:

I have a feeling that my problem is not actually caused by hardware or
software malfunctioning. *The software is simply not written to feed
the sound coming from Internet to the recording software-- I am using
Nero Sound Trax.
Any comments and help would be appreciated.

Give VLC a tryhttp://www.videolan.org/vlc/

--

You come up with a better tittlehttp://dilidou.com/img/img1/20081103/selection_25_21.jpg

What an intresting program!

However, it cannot record, either. The only choices for the sound
source are still "line in", "rear microphone", and "microphone".

Thanks for the suggestion.

Deguza
Posted to rec.audio.tech,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
Kompu Kid Kompu Kid is offline

On Nov 3, 11:43*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Kompu Kid" *wrote ...

[...]

This program did the trick! I am able to record with it.

It even shows up as a virtual device under Nero, but I could not get
Nero to record yet.

Thank you.

Deguza