Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default building a PP amp

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message

On Jun 27, 6:58 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

I have plenty of mirrors, and for your purposes Peter,
way too much insight, personal and otherwise.

That would be your delusion. I would refer you to Matthew
7:3, King James, were you to have any hope of
understanding its meaning.

If you want to argue on those grounds Peter, they apply to you no less than
I. (no pun intended).

If you had any "insight" at all, you would understand
that you have no place here,

But I do - I help keep you hyperactive children grounded.

that you are pretty much universally reviled here,

Speaks more about the revilers than I.

and that you will have no net
effect here of any nature other than to give some of us a
chance to polish our invective.

If you are polishing your invective Peter, then try a different approach.
You are becoming less polished, not more polished.

Sadly, as you do have such trouble with the rules and forms of logic,

Easy to say, but impossible to prove. Just crass invective.

the meaning of words and the English Language

Again, just a cheap shot from a cheap mind flapping cheap lips.

in general, most of that is lost on you.

Letsee, are childish insults lost on me? Yes, guilty as charged!

Repeat: you are a poor, sad, delusional sod.

That's just crass repetition. Peter, do you know what they say about people
who repeat the identical same actions with the hope of getting a different
result? That's you!

I think I might add 'ignorant' or 'obtuse' next time.

Been there, done that.

But I think that 'delusional' covers it pretty well for now.

Good self-diagnosis, Peter. You should reread some of your older stuff, when
you were more in touch with yourself.

What I see is a little man with a frustrating life's situation who needs to
dump his bile on someone, once or more a day. If Jute is out of town and
West is working off his Honey-Do, then there's always moi!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Jun 27, 8:15*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

What I see is a little man with a frustrating life's situation who needs to
dump his bile on someone, once or more a day. If Jute is out of town and
West is working off his Honey-Do, then there's always moi!

There's that need for your mirrors again, Arny.

Most of the rest of us see no need to pontificate. We enjoy ourselves
and our hobbys. Then along come whining magpies such as you driven to
engage in a futile attempt to spoil the enjoyment by pointing out ad
nauseum the faults of tubes - all of which are well understood anyway.
Really.

Again, you have no place here. Better for you and your delusions to go
somewhere you might be respected or your opinions valued. That is
certainly not here.

As to Jute and Pillock - Jute is capable of on-topic posts, has
actually worked with tubes even if the product is of dubious function
and output (no fault of the tubes in his case) and other than being a
supreme egoist does seem to take some enjoyment out of life even if he
lives it in near-darkness. West is a young, damaged fool in search of
a legend for himself hero to worship but not necessarily
irredeemable.

You are none of the above. It appears from your posts here that you
have no function in your life or hobbies other than to be annoying.
My, my what an utterly stunning ambition.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Peter Wieck wrote:

[...]

The trouble is that Arnie brings an arnageian gloom,
and a kroogariesque depression to us all,
and he ain't worth the time......

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message

On Jun 27, 8:15 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

What I see is a little man with a frustrating life's
situation who needs to dump his bile on someone, once or
more a day. If Jute is out of town and West is working
off his Honey-Do, then there's always moi!

There's that need for your mirrors again, Arny.

Most of the rest of us see no need to pontificate.

As if the preceeding series was not a stream of such offenses, Peter.

I've got you figured out Peter, you are without fault in your own eyes.

We enjoy ourselves and our hobbys.

Apparently, not without a need to try to capture a few scalps.

Then along come whining
magpies such as you driven to engage in a futile attempt
to spoil the enjoyment by pointing out ad nauseum the
faults of tubes - all of which are well understood
anyway. Really.

If those faults are so well understood and accepted, then why all the
wailing and gnashing of teeth when they are pointed out?

Again, you have no place here.

As you describe RAT, neither do you, Peter.

Better for you and your
delusions to go somewhere you might be respected or your
opinions valued. That is certainly not here.

So says the one with no personal insight, the one who has to be faultless in
his own eyes.

As to Jute and Pillock - Jute is capable of on-topic
posts, has actually worked with tubes even if the product
is of dubious function and output (no fault of the tubes
in his case)

If having worked with tubes, or owning tubed equipment grants one
absolution, why not for myself?

and other than being a supreme egoist does
seem to take some enjoyment out of life even if he lives
it in near-darkness. West is a young, damaged fool in
search of a legend for himself hero to worship but not
necessarily irredeemable.

Fact is Peter you see me as a threat.

You are none of the above.

Good example of how delusional and filled with hatred that you are, Peter.

It appears from your posts
here that you have no function in your life or hobbies
other than to be annoying.

Back at you, Peter.

, my what an utterly stunning ambition.

It's all a figment of your fevered little mind, Peter.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

The trouble is that Arnie brings an arnageian gloom,
and a kroogariesque depression to us all,
and he ain't worth the time......

Interesting that both you guys have the time to harass me, especially given
how futile you should both know that is.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message

But I think that 'delusional' covers it pretty well for now.

Good self-diagnosis, Peter. You should reread some of your older stuff, when
you were more in touch with yourself.

Arny, I am curious what period you are referring to when you say "some
of your older stuff"? By "older stuff" are you referring to stuff Peter
wrote before, and perhaps during, his time in the kingdom, or to "older
stuff" he has written since returning from the kingdom? Peter's
experience in the kingdom did seem to change him markedly, there is no
similarity or continuity between his posts before and after returning.
He is a changed person, your suggestion that he was previously more in
touch with himself is an interesting one.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

The trouble is that Arnie brings an arnageian gloom,
and a kroogariesque depression to us all,
and he ain't worth the time......

Interesting that both you guys have the time to harass me, especially given
how futile you should both know that is.

But you have NEVER offered the slightest helpful advice to anyone
building
something electronic with a tube in it.
You bring a hammer to smash the tubes instead.

You are an unwelcome presence in this group.

Everyone has already heard your so called anti-delusion remedies 1,000
times,
and any more bore us to tears.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in
message

The trouble is that Arnie brings an arnageian gloom,
and a kroogariesque depression to us all,
and he ain't worth the time......

Interesting that both you guys have the time to harass
me, especially given how futile you should both know
that is.

But you have NEVER offered the slightest helpful advice
to anyone buildingsomething electronic with a tube in it.

Prove it.

You bring a hammer to smash the tubes instead.

Just telling it like it is.

You are an unwelcome presence in this group.

Speaks to your narrow minds, and hypersensitive natures.

Everyone has already heard your so called anti-delusion
remedies 1,000 times, and any more bore us to tears.

I'm afraid that I don't know what you are talking about.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"John Byrns" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message

But I think that 'delusional' covers it pretty well for
now.

Good self-diagnosis, Peter. You should reread some of
your older stuff, when you were more in touch with
yourself.

Arny, I am curious what period you are referring to when
you say "some of your older stuff"? By "older stuff" are
you referring to stuff Peter wrote before, and perhaps
during, his time in the kingdom, or to "older stuff" he
has written since returning from the kingdom? Peter's
experience in the kingdom did seem to change him
markedly, there is no similarity or continuity between
his posts before and after returning. He is a changed
person, your suggestion that he was previously more in
touch with himself is an interesting one.

Please explain "the kingdom".

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message

But I think that 'delusional' covers it pretty well for
now.

Good self-diagnosis, Peter. You should reread some of
your older stuff, when you were more in touch with
yourself.

Arny, I am curious what period you are referring to when
you say "some of your older stuff"? By "older stuff" are
you referring to stuff Peter wrote before, and perhaps
during, his time in the kingdom, or to "older stuff" he
has written since returning from the kingdom? Peter's
experience in the kingdom did seem to change him
markedly, there is no similarity or continuity between
his posts before and after returning. He is a changed
person, your suggestion that he was previously more in
touch with himself is an interesting one.

Please explain "the kingdom".

"the kingdom" is what Peter calls Saudi Arabia.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"John Byrns" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message

In article
, "Arny
Krueger" wrote:

[...]

Hmm. Well, I'm referring to a time some number of months back. How many I'm
not sure. Mybe 4-5 or more. I don't know if it worth it to research google
to put an exact date on it. But, don't tell me what date it is, in case I
do the research later on. Knowing when he was in the kingdom would bias me.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Raymond Koonce Raymond Koonce is offline

Raymond Koonce wrote:
snip

Way to ruin a thread. Very little discussion regarding the original
subject, just lots of name-calling. I don't understand you guys. Do
you have nothing better to do than this? I think I'll go build something.

Bye-bye now.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
wb wb is offline

Raymond Koonce wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

Raymond Koonce wrote:

Hi RATs,

Hope you enjoyed your Sunday afternoon as much as I did, working on a PP
amp using 71A triodes for my office environment. I breadboarded one
channel and a PS for testing purposes and it sounds pretty good to me.

Have you ever considered moving into the current century ?

Graham

No, not really. I like building the old circuits. Some of them sound
surprisingly good.

You bet! Just because a design and a tube are old does not mean they
are not a good. I have designed and built a stereo SET amp using a 6SL7
in each channel (SRPP circuit) driving a paralleled pair of 2A3's in
each channel.
Although I have several more modern designs delivering a lot more power,
I still tend to prefer this SET triode amp. As was said, some old tubes
and circuits do sound surprisingly good.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Raymond Koonce wrote:

Raymond Koonce wrote:
snip

Way to ruin a thread. Very little discussion regarding the original
subject, just lots of name-calling. I don't understand you guys. Do
you have nothing better to do than this? I think I'll go build something.

Bye-bye now.

Raymond, baby, come back SOOOON, we'll miss you.

So darling, just what you goona build now?

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andy Evans Andy Evans is offline

Ray's a good guy, and if he's listening then I have a few points. I
build with the 71A amongst other DHTs and I also use the 124b. In one
incarnation I did find the 124b lost some bass, but in another the
bass was certainly there. So I'd guess it's a question of DC balance -
I doubt whether they tolerate any. I've been building fairly quickly
because I don't have too much free time, so I can't give you actual
voltages, but at some point I'll look closer at the 124b to see what's
going on. I do, however, like its midrange and treble.

But why not go further and add an output stage - 71A is one of the
great drivers.

Andy

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Andy Evans wrote:
Ray's a good guy, and if he's listening then I have a few points. I
build with the 71A amongst other DHTs and I also use the 124b. In one
incarnation I did find the 124b lost some bass, but in another the
bass was certainly there. So I'd guess it's a question of DC balance -
I doubt whether they tolerate any. I've been building fairly quickly
because I don't have too much free time, so I can't give you actual
voltages, but at some point I'll look closer at the 124b to see what's
going on. I do, however, like its midrange and treble.

But why not go further and add an output stage - 71A is one of the
great drivers.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the on topic reply. The price was certainly right on the
124B and I thought with the 49% nickel core, it would do OK, but the
bass is really lacking in this build. It drops off pretty steeply at
80Hz. This circuit is so simple that I really don't see what else I
might do to improve the bass except to use a better transformer. I'm
looking at the Lundahl LL1660S which costs about five times what I paid
for the Hammonds. I'd be interested to see your circuit and any
suggestions you might offer as a way to balance the DC (although I don't
see how I could get any on the grids since the CT of the IT is grounded)
and improve the bass response. I suspected from the start that I might
have a bass issue due to the published specs, but with the price point,
I thought I'd give it a try. I'm driving the 124b with a 56 at about
4.5mA and a bypassed RK. It looks OK on the scope, so that's what leads
me to think it's the IT.

As to an output stage, I'm building this as an amp for my office, so I
really don't need more than a couple of watts. I have used DHTs for
drivers, 300Bs driving 845s. Lots of oomph there!

Best regards,

Raymond
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jun 30, 11:24�pm, Raymond Koonce wrote:
Andy Evans wrote:
[...]

Hi Raymond

Have you tried a CCS under the 56s - I'm presuming these are a diff.
pair? I use a Morgan Jones design from his Valve Amplifiers book.
Basically two BC549, two red LEDs, a sense resistor and if I have any
a J511 or if not a 1K resistor to earth. This may help get a good
balance on the diff pair.

I've used the LL1660 and it's fine, also used LL1635, LL1621, LL1671.
I'm very curious about the cheap Edcor interstages - I'd guess they
have better bass - and a few people seem to like them. Have you looked
into those? They come in two sizes, and the values to try are probably
10k-10k or 15k-15k. Andy
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Andy Evans wrote:
[...]

This amp has a SE 56 on the primary of the 124B. I'm using an input
transformer for some extra gain (a Newcomb, I don't have the model #
with me) ahead of the volume control, the wiper of which feeds the 56
grid. I'm using the 124B to feed the grids of the 71As with the CT
grounded. Really simple circuit and it sounds very good in the mids and
highs, but I'd like some more in the lower end. This would be a very
good treble amp for bi-amping.

I'm not familiar with the Edcor ITs. Thanks for the tip. I'll google them.

Best regards,

Raymond
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andy Evans Andy Evans is offline

This amp has a SE 56 on the primary of the 124B.

This may be the problem - surely the 124b isn't gapped for SE use?

�I'm using the 124B to feed the grids of the 71As with the CT
grounded

I use it the other way round - CT to HT on the input, which is a diff
pair with CCS. We may be getting different effects, plus mine steps
down and yours steps up.

Andy

.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Andy Evans wrote:
This amp has a SE 56 on the primary of the 124B.

This may be the problem - surely the 124b isn't gapped for SE use?

�I'm using the 124B to feed the grids of the 71As with the CT
grounded

I use it the other way round - CT to HT on the input, which is a diff
pair with CCS. We may be getting different effects, plus mine steps
down and yours steps up.

Andy

.

So you're using them to drive a SE output stage, right? No unbalanced
DC with that. That might well be my problem. I do like the step up
though. Back to the drawing board!

Thanks for your input.

Best regards,

Raymond

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andy Evans Andy Evans is offline

So you're using them to drive a SE output stage, right? No unbalanced
DC with that. That might well be my problem. I do like the step up
though. Back to the drawing board!

No - my amp is balanced PP all through. PP driver stage, diff pair
with CCs into 124b and then into PP output stage. I think it's a
question of getting the DC balance just right.

Andy
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andy Evans Andy Evans is offline

NB - there's a thread starting on the 124b on Audio Asylum, DIY Tubes

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

"wb" wrote in message
Raymond Koonce wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

Raymond Koonce wrote:

[...]

Thanks "wb" for bringing a ray of sunshine into this otherwise dark
and depressive Arny Kreuger dominated thread.

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
.fi

Thanks "wb" for bringing a ray of sunshine into this
otherwise dark and depressive Arny Kreuger dominated
thread.

....one that has been dead for a month.

Please help, building an amp. Thanks. [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 11 February 17th 06 09:47 PM
Building an amp Matt Silberstein Tech 12 January 6th 06 04:48 PM
building speakers hrvoje General 1 November 30th 04 03:30 AM
Box building Bryan Car Audio 4 October 29th 03 05:43 PM