A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter.com

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter.com forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Wireless phones?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old April 20th 20, 03:34 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Wireless phones?

I'm cured. I'll stick with wired phones. No
way I'm going to take any fidelity or latency hit.
An simple extension cable relieves much of the
annoyance from the cable being in the way.

Thanks for the responses.


Ads
  #12  
Old April 22nd 20, 04:48 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Beacom[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Wireless phones?

On 2020-04-19 16:21:15 +0000, Tobiah said:

This YouTube video talks about this very problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJPc0hi0E90
Swee****er sells the wireless headphone boxes for $230

Hope this helps
Mike


> At home, I record solo guitar while monitoring
> with wired headphones. The cable can be a problem,
> getting in the way, and sometimes causing its own noise.
> It just occurred to me that wireless may be the way to go.
> I'd want digital transmission to the phones, and a
> no-compromise high-fidelity flat natural sound. All of
> this for ~$100-$200.
>
> I'm going to start Googling this subject that I know
> nothing about, but I thought I'd prime the pump here
> to get some focus on what to look for, and maybe
> direct model/brand suggestions.
>
>
> Thanks.


  #13  
Old April 22nd 20, 10:36 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,673
Default Wireless phones?

On 23/04/2020 3:48 am, Michael Beacom wrote:
> On 2020-04-19 16:21:15 +0000, Tobiah said:
>
>
> This YouTube video talks about this very problem:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJPc0hi0E90
>
> Swee****er sells the wireless headphone boxes for $230
>
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Mike



5ms may be good enough - best try it out. Quite inexpensive ....

Most regular analogue IEM system could do similar, in stereo if desired,
without the latency.

geoff
  #14  
Old April 24th 20, 01:35 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,742
Default Wireless phones?

Mike Rivers: Audio Technica Headphones

At the AES last fall I heard some commentary regarding both flavors of
ATH-M50 headphone, and the ATH-M40. Slightly "V-shaped" sound from
the former, and more "neutral" from the albeit cheaper latter.

Thoughts?
  #16  
Old April 25th 20, 04:15 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,383
Default Wireless phones?

Tobiah wrote:
>
> At home, I record solo guitar while monitoring
> with wired headphones.* The cable can be a problem,
> getting in the way, and sometimes causing its own noise.
> It just occurred to me that wireless may be the way to go.
> I'd want digital transmission to the phones, and a
> no-compromise high-fidelity flat natural sound.* All of
> this for ~$100-$200.
>
> I'm going to start Googling this subject that I know
> nothing about, but I thought I'd prime the pump here
> to get some focus on what to look for, and maybe
> direct model/brand suggestions.
>
>
> Thanks.


They are doubtless Bluetooth, and with Bluetooth you get delay.

--
Les Cargill
  #17  
Old April 25th 20, 01:32 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,135
Default Wireless phones?

On 4/24/2020 11:15 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
> They are doubtless Bluetooth, and with Bluetooth you get delay.


If it's digital, there will be delay. We haven't solved that problem
yet. The question is how much, and how does it affect what you want to do.

Has anyone here tried playing an instrument (an all electronic one, to
be fair to the study) while monitoring through Bluetooth headphones and
said "AAAAAAKKKK! I can't play like this!?"

Or even better, set up an experiment to actually make a measurement?



--
For a good time, call http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
  #18  
Old April 25th 20, 01:57 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,749
Default Wireless phones?

geoff > wrote:
>On 23/04/2020 3:48 am, Michael Beacom wrote:
>> On 2020-04-19 16:21:15 +0000, Tobiah said:
>>
>> This YouTube video talks about this very problem:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJPc0hi0E90
>>
>> Swee****er sells the wireless headphone boxes for $230
>>

>
>5ms may be good enough - best try it out. Quite inexpensive ....
>
>Most regular analogue IEM system could do similar, in stereo if desired,
>without the latency.


If you're going to put the live feed into the mix, latency on the headphone
is critical for tracking. 5ms is enough to cause weird comb filtering on
the vocals in the phones.

If you're not going to put the live feed into the mix, latency doesn't
matter at all. You could have several seconds of latency and it would
be just fine, you'd just have to advance the new track up a little in
software.

And to be honest, tracking headphones can sound pretty awful as long as
they have a good sense of presence.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  #19  
Old April 25th 20, 02:15 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,329
Default Wireless phones?

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 08:32:40 -0400, Mike Rivers >
wrote:

>On 4/24/2020 11:15 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
>> They are doubtless Bluetooth, and with Bluetooth you get delay.

>
>If it's digital, there will be delay. We haven't solved that problem
>yet. The question is how much, and how does it affect what you want to do.
>
>Has anyone here tried playing an instrument (an all electronic one, to
>be fair to the study) while monitoring through Bluetooth headphones and
>said "AAAAAAKKKK! I can't play like this!?"
>
>Or even better, set up an experiment to actually make a measurement?


Delay, or more properly latency will always feature in a wireless
link. Interference has to be overcome with error correction, and a big
part of that is forward correction which involves deconstructing the
digital bits and sending them at different times so a single blast of
noise won't destroy a whole word. At the receiving end all the bits
have to be gathered up and reassembled into bytes before decoding can
begin. That reassembly is the basic latency in the system, although
there are other sources on top. The better protected the system, the
lengthier the latency period. The lowest latency Bluetooth audio codec
I know of is 40mSec, and it is a bit fragile to interference.

d
  #20  
Old April 26th 20, 03:17 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,383
Default Wireless phones?

Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 4/24/2020 11:15 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
>> They are doubtless Bluetooth, and with Bluetooth you get delay.

>
> If it's digital, there will be delay. We haven't solved that problem
> yet.


Ayup. But Bluetooth is particularly egregious; it has a certain
interpretation of frequency-hopping that expects a lot of loss,
and the output is reassembled from what makes it.

We tried it for serial ports for outside industrial gear, and it failed.

? The question is how much, and how does it affect what you want to do.
>
> Has anyone here tried playing an instrument (an all electronic one, to
> be fair to the study) while monitoring through Bluetooth headphones and
> said "AAAAAAKKKK! I can't play like this!?"
>
> Or even better, set up an experiment to actually make a measurement?
>
>
>


Not me; I don't own a Bluetooth anything except what's in the phone and
car radio. Well, the keyboard and mouse.

--
Les Cargill
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In-ear phones Tobiah Pro Audio 2 May 5th 16 07:28 PM
in-ear phones henryp Audio Opinions 2 May 2nd 06 03:56 PM
IR wireless h'phones picking up radio station!? andrew_h Tech 0 March 17th 06 12:38 PM
GET FREE CELL PHONES and CAMERA PHONES! [email protected] Pro Audio 0 February 12th 06 02:21 AM
Req: Suggestions for Wireless Mic & Wireless In-Ear rack set-up Karsten J. Chikuri Pro Audio 6 September 7th 05 07:54 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AudioBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.