Zoom H6

Old September 29th 13, 03:21 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
William Sommerwerck

Default Zoom H6

I just looked at the specs for the H6.

I might have missed something, but /nowhere/ do I see a S/N spec for a
specified SPL.

Old September 29th 13, 05:22 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

Marc Wielage wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 15:58:43 -0700, Gary Eickmeier wrote
> (in article >):
>
>> The most amazing recorder I have yet seen. I could get rid of my mixer,
>> multichannel recorder (Zoom R16) and my battery powered Phantom power
>> supply. It is a six channel recorder and full studio in a box!
>> ------------------------------<snip>------------------------------<

> Get this instead:
>
> http://www.sounddevices.com/products/788t/
>
> It costs about twenty times more ($8000) than the Zoom H6, but often in pro
> sound, you get what you pay for. The Sound Devices is going to have far more
> flexibility, reliability, better sound quality, and much, much quieter mic
> preamps. Note that you'll still need microphones -- and you can't get six
> great mics for $400, for the most part.
>
> If you can't afford to buy one, RENT one.
>
> --MFW

Just throwing this out there - Focusrite's USB2.0 line works with a
netbook for up to 18 channels ( two would have to be S/PDIF, eight
lightpipe ). That runs about (omitting the S/PDIF for now ):

$500 for the Focusrite
plus $500 for an Octopre ( or ADA8000 for less )
plus $250 for the netbook,
plus $60 for a Reaper license.
for around $1300

The preamps aren't all that noisy, and Reaper would probably*
enable a -20dB parallel track with a little finagling.

*meaning I know how I'd try to do it, but haven't - set up two
tracks from the same input(s) and throw a gain control plugin
on one.

--
Les Cargill
Old September 29th 13, 06:06 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Gary Eickmeier

William Sommerwerck wrote:
>> And where is the SoundField module?

> And to drive home my point... A SoundField configuration lets you
> synthesize a pair of mics with /any/ pattern, pointing in /any/
> direction, with /any/ angular separation. It's the Swiss Army Knife
> of miking.
> Marc is probably right about the noisy electronics, etc.

Well, the remark does bother me, but I have a Tascam DR-07, a Zoom R16, a
Zoom H2n, and even a little digital voice recorder that have no problem in
this area. I am confident that they know how to build a quality product and
from the care taken in the design of its functions I don't see why they
wouldn't. Will let you know in about a week!

Gary Eickmeier

Old September 29th 13, 06:12 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Gary Eickmeier

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Gary Eickmeier > wrote:
>> William Sommerwerck wrote:
>>> Best-sounding? Unlikely.
>>>
>>> And where is the SoundField module?

>> Six simultaneous channel input! Use whatever mikes you want!
>> Portable! Flexible!

> Mike preamps jammed into a tiny box with noisy digital electronics.
> Tiny controls with multiple menus to do even the simplest of
> operations.
>
>> Clever.... these guys seem to have thought of everything as far as
>> our needs. Did you note the simultaneous -12 dB track just in case
>> you went overboard on the gain? Like, brilliant.

> I think you need to try using some professional equipment and get
> some idea of just what is out there and what is possible. Not that
> you can't make good recordings with cheap gear, but it's a lot more
> work. --scott

Well, Shure, but I am not you and doing it for a living - yet - and from my
photography experience you can come pretty close to the best pro standards
with some amateur equipment. I need to stay portable, battery powered, and
flexible and out of the way at these concerts Will let you know in about a
week how it sounds!

Gary

Old September 29th 13, 06:19 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Gary Eickmeier

Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 9/28/2013 6:58 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
>
>> I could get rid of my mixer,
>> multichannel recorder (Zoom R16) and my battery powered Phantom power
>> supply. It is a six channel recorder and full studio in a box!

> Don't sell your mixer, multichannel recorder, and phantom power supply
> before you have time to work with the H6a for a few months. I
> guarantee you'll miss the convenience of having all the controls
> right in front of you.
>
> I'm sure there are people for whom this is an ideal recorder.What do
> you do that makes you believe it will replace most of what you're
> using now? Are you doing surround recording on location? Or planning
> to work on your next magnum opus at the beach?

Right, well, OK, I will keep the other equipment until I am sure about the
H6, but I see no reason to think it will be any less quality than my Tascam
or other Zoom recorders.

I just record the local wind band for free, trying to perfect my technique
and learn about recording. Doing recording really is a fast track to
understanding a lot about audio in general, and you get to compare your
results to the live sound etc.

Gary

Old September 29th 13, 06:21 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Gary Eickmeier

William Sommerwerck wrote:
> I just looked at the specs for the H6.
>
> I might have missed something, but /nowhere/ do I see a S/N spec for a
> specified SPL.

No, nor do they publish any graphs or specs for their microphone capsules.
But I have some experience with their products now, and I see no reason to
fear. I have great hope that this will be the best one yet.

Gary

Old September 29th 13, 07:37 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Larsen[_3_]

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

> William Sommerwerck wrote:
>>> And where is the SoundField module?

>> And to drive home my point... A SoundField configuration lets you
>> synthesize a pair of mics with /any/ pattern, pointing in /any/
>> direction, with /any/ angular separation. It's the Swiss Army Knife
>> of miking.
>> Marc is probably right about the noisy electronics, etc.

> Well, the remark does bother me, but I have a Tascam DR-07, a Zoom
> R16, a Zoom H2n, and even a little digital voice recorder that have
> no problem in this area. I am confident that they know how to build a
> quality product and from the care taken in the design of its
> functions I don't see why they wouldn't.

I had a Zoom R16 for half an hour, that was the time it took to determine
that it would go back to the shop. It's a toy. Perhaps you should look into
an Oade modified R44.

> Gary Eickmeier

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Old September 29th 13, 09:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis

"Marc Wielage" wrote in message
.com...

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 15:58:43 -0700, Gary Eickmeier wrote
(in article >):

> The most amazing recorder I have yet seen. I could get rid of my mixer,
> multichannel recorder (Zoom R16) and my battery powered Phantom power
> supply. It is a six channel recorder and full studio in a box!
>------------------------------<snip>------------------------------<

Get this instead:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/788t/

It costs about twenty times more ($8000) than the Zoom H6, but often in pro
sound, you get what you pay for. The Sound Devices is going to have far
more
flexibility, reliability, better sound quality, and much, much quieter mic
preamps. Note that you'll still need microphones -- and you can't get six
great mics for $400, for the most part.

If you can't afford to buy one, RENT one.

--MFW

Blimey, an 8 year old child could tell you that an $8000 system is going to
perform better than a $400 dollar one.

Gareth.

Old September 30th 13, 02:32 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

On 9/29/2013 1:19 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

> Right, well, OK, I will keep the other equipment until I am sure about the
> H6, but I see no reason to think it will be any less quality than my Tascam
> or other Zoom recorders.

It's not about quality - they're all about the same in this class. It's
about ease of use and whether you have to read the manual for anything
beyond pressing the record button.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Old September 30th 13, 02:44 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
George Graves

On Sunday, September 29, 2013 5:25:39 AM UTC-7, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Gary Eickmeier > wrote:
>
> >William Sommerwerck wrote:

> >> Best-sounding? Unlikely.

> >> And where is the SoundField module?

> >Six simultaneous channel input! Use whatever mikes you want! Portable!

> >Flexible!

> Mike preamps jammed into a tiny box with noisy digital electronics. Tiny
>
> controls with multiple menus to do even the simplest of operations.
>

> >Clever.... these guys seem to have thought of everything as far as our

> >needs. Did you note the simultaneous -12 dB track just in case you went

> >overboard on the gain? Like, brilliant.

> I think you need to try using some professional equipment and get some idea
>
> of just what is out there and what is possible. Not that you can't make
>
> good recordings with cheap gear, but it's a lot more work.
>
> --scott
>
> --

These devices can make amazing quality recordings, despite all of the drawbacks that you, correctly, point out. I recently recorded a classical string trio using a zoom H2 and it's built-in microphones. I recorded it at 24-bit/96KHz stereo and then used Audacity to boost the bass a bit (luckily I found a frequency response graph of the H2's microphones on-line and was able to flatten the bass-out nicely (the mikes' low-end response is not terrible to begin with). The results are amazing. The recording COULD be released commercially and nobody would complain about the recordings audio quality at all. In fact several people to whom I have sent the file say that not only is it "audiophile quality" sound wise, but that the imaging is absolutely holographic!

Usually I use an Avantone CK-40 with a mixer and a Korg MR1 for most of my location work. I bought the Zoom H2 about 6 years ago as a backup or safety recorder. I just paralleled it with my mixer, hit "record" and let it go. Until August of this year, I had never used it's internal mikes before. I took it to a concert on a whim because, being self contained, I could just stick it in my pocket.

Zoom H2n Gary Eickmeier High End Audio 4 March 4th 12 09:39 PM
Zoom H2n Gary Eickmeier High End Audio 5 February 29th 12 11:50 PM
Zoom H2? Bill Peters Pro Audio 3 December 14th 10 06:04 AM
Zoom H2 vs H4 Gregory[_7_] Pro Audio 5 March 21st 08 06:18 PM
I just got the Zoom H2 [email protected] Pro Audio 25 September 17th 07 10:39 PM