Turntable antistatic mat?

Old July 24th 10, 02:18 PM posted to rec.audio.misc
Tzortzakakis Dimitris

Default Turntable antistatic mat?

I have the Pro-ject Debut III and, of course, I have bought a new felt mat,
because the original one was crap (sticked to records because it was charged
with static electricity). The only problem is that the (new) one has become
dirty, is it safe to wash it with a mild detergent, with warm water,
manually?
TIA,

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Old July 24th 10, 03:23 PM posted to rec.audio.misc
UnsteadyKen

Tzortzakakis Dimitris said...

> The only problem is that the (new) one has become
> dirty, is it safe to wash it with a mild detergent, with warm water,
> manually?

Hi Tzortzakakis, I should think it would be fine. The only problem
would be making sure that it dries perfectly flat.

I've been using a mat made from anti-slip foamed mesh like this...
http://goo.gl/UAo0 but a cheaper version which cost 2 euros.
I just cut it to fit and fastened it to the platter with double sided
tape, it is pictured here...
http://unsteadyken.posterous.com/

It works very well grips the record and seems to reduce surface noise.

Well Tempered labs use it as well.

http://www.pearaudio.com/wt_amadeus.html

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Old July 25th 10, 08:38 PM posted to rec.audio.misc
Tzortzakakis Dimitris

? "UnsteadyKen" > ?????? ??? ??????
m...
> Tzortzakakis Dimitris said...
>
>> The only problem is that the (new) one has become
>> dirty, is it safe to wash it with a mild detergent, with warm water,
>> manually?

> Hi Tzortzakakis, I should think it would be fine. The only problem
> would be making sure that it dries perfectly flat.
>
> I've been using a mat made from anti-slip foamed mesh like this...
> http://goo.gl/UAo0 but a cheaper version which cost 2 euros.
> I just cut it to fit and fastened it to the platter with double sided
> tape, it is pictured here...
> http://unsteadyken.posterous.com/
>
> It works very well grips the record and seems to reduce surface noise.
>
> Well Tempered labs use it as well.
>
> http://www.pearaudio.com/wt_amadeus.html

The first one cost 12 pounds, mine cost only 10 euros and has only "reloop"
printed on it, came in a plain transparent bag without any leaflets etc. I'm
very pleased with the Pro-ject, I'm even buying brand new records (!) in our
local music shop, I got Frank Sinatra and Beach Boys, I even got 2 Megadeth
records! I must also check my stylus... But after I pay my insurance
(Ortofon OM 5B). I have the Cambridge Audio 540 P Phono Pre amp and the 340
A SE amp and Mordaunt-short Avant 904 i speakers (specially bought so my
niece who is 3 1/2 years won't upturn them).

Old July 26th 10, 01:44 AM posted to rec.audio.misc
UnsteadyKen

Tzortzakakis Dimitris said...

> I'm
> very pleased with the Pro-ject, I'm even buying brand new records (!) in our
> local music shop, I got Frank Sinatra and Beach Boys, I even got 2 Megadeth
> records!

Yes; vinyl records can sound so very good. New records are very hard to
get here in the UK now, only some stores in the big cities have them
and I live in a small town.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corby

I still play my lp's a lot, here is my collection.
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/lplist.html

> I must also check my stylus... But after I pay my insurance
> (Ortofon OM 5B). I have the Cambridge Audio 540 P Phono Pre amp and the 340
> A SE amp and Mordaunt-short Avant 904 i speakers

That sounds like a very nice system.

> (specially bought so my
> niece who is 3 1/2 years won't upturn them).

Children and loudspeakers don't go together, if they don't knock them
over, they play with the drive units and dent the tweeters:-)

Old July 26th 10, 07:41 PM posted to rec.audio.misc
Tzortzakakis Dimitris

? "UnsteadyKen" > ?????? ??? ??????
m...
> Tzortzakakis Dimitris said...
>
>> I'm
>> very pleased with the Pro-ject, I'm even buying brand new records (!) in
>> our
>> local music shop, I got Frank Sinatra and Beach Boys, I even got 2
>> Megadeth
>> records!

> Yes; vinyl records can sound so very good. New records are very hard to
> get here in the UK now, only some stores in the big cities have them
> and I live in a small town.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corby

.....And here is mine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraklion about 180,000 residents, one of the
largest cities of Greece and definitely of Crete.
> I still play my lp's a lot, here is my collection.
> http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/lplist.html

Me, too.
>> I must also check my stylus... But after I pay my insurance
>> (Ortofon OM 5B). I have the Cambridge Audio 540 P Phono Pre amp and the
>> 340
>> A SE amp and Mordaunt-short Avant 904 i speakers

> That sounds like a very nice system.

It is, indeed.
>> (specially bought so my
>> niece who is 3 1/2 years won't upturn them).

> Children and loudspeakers don't go together, if they don't knock them
> over, they play with the drive units and dent the tweeters:-)

I am always with her when she's in my room, she *tried* to dent the tweetes
but I stopped her.

> --

BTW, I have some friends from Scotland.