Posted to rec.audio.tech
acdcgraphics acdcgraphics is offline

Default Getting the vocals I want at home

I hope this is the right place to pose this question. I want to add
reverb to my vocals while I am singing them in real-time. I can add
reverb with SoundForge, but that's to the entire file, not a separate
vocal track. All I'm experimenting with is my karaoke discs, I have a
SHURE mic plugged into my PC and use SoundForge to record, while
RealPlayer plays a track.

How can I add effects just to my voice? I realize this might be really
simple to you who are reading this, but the last time I recorded, DAT
was just getting started, we had all analog rack-mounted units and a
HUGE 64-track board in the studio!!! I know a lot can be done now on
my machine. Do I need an external effects processor to plug my mic
into, then output to the computer?

Thanks for reading and for your patience with me!
:-) Ava
www.avalemert.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chris Forte Chris Forte is offline

It looks like sound forge supports multiple tracks to be used within
the program. i would create 2 tracks, one for the music, and one for
the vocal track.

Import the music track into sound forge and place in the time line on
the music track. As for the vocal and reverb, arm the other track and
add a VST effect to it, reverb. I would think that they have a reverb
that would work for your purposes.

If it all works right, you should be able to start recording, and you
will hear music being played back and the vocals will have it's
reverb.

hope that helps. (sound forge should have a getting started document
in the program. check the help menu)

hope to have been of some help. good luck.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

"acdcgraphics" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Ava,

Your question can be interpreted in more than one way. Many vocalists need to hear reverb
on their voice as they sing. If that's what you want, the best way is with an external
processor, of which there are many. Your headphones will have to monitor the output of this
unit, as well as the music with which you're singing, which you don't describe
(pre-recorded, live accompanimant, etc.). If you want to add reverb later, but to only your
voice, the voice will have to have been recorded on a separate track in your audio software.
Then reverb can be added, providing your audio software supports it. You don't say what
software you're using to do the recording. You may be recording your voice as a separate
track, or you may be recording the mix.

It IS possible to add live reverb in software, but requires a low-latency soundcard setup,
and recording software that's more sophisticated than the recorders and editors that many
use (Windows recorder, Cool Edit,etc.)
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chris Forte Chris Forte is offline

Earl :

Ava wrote:
... All I'm experimenting with is my karaoke discs, I have a
SHURE mic plugged into my PC and use SoundForge to record, while
RealPlayer plays a track.

she's using SoundForge. it supports VSTs. external units shouldn't be
needed and probably more of a headache in this situation.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Chris Forte" wrote in message
ps.com...
she's using SoundForge. it supports VSTs.

Depends on the version.

external units shouldn't be
needed and probably more of a headache in this situation.

Depends on the latency of her sound card, and how much delay she can put up
with when trying to sing/monitor.

MrT.

no vocals bob zee Car Audio 8 August 5th 07 09:03 PM
15%-40% off Most audio Video, mid fi - hi end, custom A/V, home automation, home theater, A/V furniture RL Marketplace 0 May 16th 07 07:50 PM
15% - 40% off Most audio Video, mid fi - hi end, custom A/V, home automation, home theater, wires cables accessories and a/v furniture RL Marketplace 0 May 16th 07 07:52 AM
vocals TwinPink Pro Audio 3 December 28th 05 03:38 AM
Sonus Faber Concerto ...Home or not to Home Al Audio Opinions 0 August 25th 03 03:50 PM