Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland

Default lossless encoding

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Serge Auckland wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
To put it simply there are no truely lossless audio compression
techniques. They all lose something in the reconstruction process.
I've gone back to using mp3 using the latest lame3 encoder set for a
high variable bitrate, and set for the highest quality standard. The
Music plays louder and cleaner than cda files, because the speakers
aren't trying to produce multiple harmonics at the same time that a
humans ears can't simultaneously distinguish anyway.

Just another thing to think about.

I don't understand this post. I thought that we had earlier established
that
Apple Lossless code-decode cycles were bit for bit identical to the
original. Therefore, there is at least one truly lossless coder. I also
understood that MLP was another.

So are Flac, Ape, and Windows lossless

--
-S
"If men were angels, no government would be necessary." - James Madison

So, Scott, would you like to explain what you mean by " To put it simply
there are no truely lossless audio compression
techniques. They all lose something in the reconstruction process." I
don't mean this unkindly, just trying to find out if I've missed something.

S.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MC

To put it simply there are no truely lossless audio compression
techniques. They all lose something in the reconstruction process.

So, Scott, would you like to explain what you mean by " To put it simply
there are no truely lossless audio compression
techniques. They all lose something in the reconstruction process." I
don't mean this unkindly, just trying to find out if I've missed
something.

I would like to ask the same question. Truly lossless compression and
decompression of digital files is commonplace (look at ZIP for instance). I
wonder if he is talking about something other than compression.