Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default double speed audio

Greetings,

I listen to audio books. Normally I listen to a book in a compressed
time period by speeding it up. The problem is that I can only use my
computer to listen to books "speed up". Does anyone know how to
recompress an mp3 so that it plays back in a shorter time period (or a
wav file which I could then convert to an mp3?) If you could actually
give me a command line example that would be what I would consider a
"best case" response. I am using an IBM R50p running FC3 (*Linux).

Thanks,
William

PS: About a week ago I posted that "I need to be able to determine the
play duration of an mp3 from the command line in Linux. What is my
best option?" and I still have no responses.

PSS: If there is a better newsgroup to post this to let me know and I
will post there. Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

William.Deans wrote ...
I listen to audio books. Normally I listen to a book in a compressed
time period by speeding it up. The problem is that I can only use my
computer to listen to books "speed up". Does anyone know how to
recompress an mp3 so that it plays back in a shorter time period (or a
wav file which I could then convert to an mp3?) If you could actually
give me a command line example that would be what I would consider a
"best case" response. I am using an IBM R50p running FC3 (*Linux).

PS: About a week ago I posted that "I need to be able to determine the
play duration of an mp3 from the command line in Linux. What is my
best option?" and I still have no responses.

PSS: If there is a better newsgroup to post this to let me know and I
will post there. Thanks.

There are very few (or none?) Linux users around the rec.audio
newsgroups because of the lack of professional-level applications
for that platform. If you have lurked around here (rec.audio.pro and
rec.audio.tech) for any time at all you have seen the numerous "Audio
on Linux" storms that blow through here several times per month.
We are in the tail-end of 1 (or is it 2?) of them right now.

Your questions would be substantial (i.e. not trivial) even for
MSwin, and seem imponderable in Linux to most of us.

One of the frequently-suggested free audio applications around
these parts is "Audacity". There is a version available for Linux,
but dunno whether it has the ability to open MP3? I'd bet that
it has the ability to change time/pitch as this is a very common
feature on most audio apps.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
Greetings,

I listen to audio books. Normally I listen to a book in
a compressed time period by speeding it up. The problem
is that I can only use my computer to listen to books
"speed up". Does anyone know how to recompress an mp3 so
that it plays back in a shorter time period (or a wav
file which I could then convert to an mp3?) If you could
actually give me a command line example that would be
what I would consider a "best case" response. I am using
an IBM R50p running FC3 (*Linux).

I could tell you a number of ways to do this in Windows, but they would all
cost you money.

PS: About a week ago I posted that "I need to be able to
determine the play duration of an mp3 from the command
line in Linux. What is my best option?" and I still have
no responses.

Please post again when you are using a mainstream, full-function OS.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Per Blomqvist

wrote:
Greetings,

I listen to audio books. Normally I listen to a book in a compressed
time period by speeding it up. The problem is that I can only use my
computer to listen to books "speed up". Does anyone know how to
recompress an mp3 so that it plays back in a shorter time period (or a
wav file which I could then convert to an mp3?) If you could actually
give me a command line example that would be what I would consider a
"best case" response. I am using an IBM R50p running FC3 (*Linux).

Im Debian-Sarge user, and I find Mplayer's "mencoder" good for encoding
mpeg's (ether its divx or mp3). But there are others I believe Mplayer
depends on "Lame". Lame does the job on mp3's also?! (not sure) Don't
ask me about the options for Lame, here are one of my statement for
tv-recording with Mplayes: mencoder -tv
driver=v4l:device=/dev/video0:width=320:height=240 tv:// -o $1 -ovc lavc
-oac lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=1280:abitrate=128 -af volnorm

Mplayer is the ultimate player for Linux, though its hard to configure..:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/news.html

And here are a list of "apt-cache search mp3 encode":
abcde - A Better CD Encoder
arson - KDE frontend for burning CDs
bmp-crossfade - Beep-Media-Player Plugin for Crossfading / Continuous Output
crip - terminal-based ripper/encoder/tagger tool
cwcdr - Chez Wam CD Ripper
darkice - Live audio streamer
digitaldj - An SQL based mp3 player front-end
distmp3 - A Perl client and daemon for distributed audio encoding
flac - Free Lossless Audio Codec - command line tools
grip - GNOME-based CD-player/ripper/encoder
gstreamer0.8-misc - Collection of various GStreamer plugins
jack - Rip and encode CDs with one command
kaudiocreator - CD ripper and audio encoder frontend for KDE
libflac++-dev - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ development library
libflac++5 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ runtime library
libflac-dev - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C development library
libflac-doc - Free Lossless Audio Codec - library documentation
libflac7 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - runtime C library
liboggflac++-dev - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ development library (ogg)
liboggflac++2 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ runtime library (ogg)
liboggflac-dev - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C development library (ogg)
liboggflac3 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - runtime C library (ogg)
mp3blaster - Full-screen console mp3 and ogg vorbis player
mp3c - MP3Creator - Creator for MP3/OGG-files
ripperx - a GTK-based audio CD ripper/encoder
somaplayer - player audio for the soma suite
speex - The Speex Speech Codec
xmms-crossfade - XMMS Plugin for Crossfading / Continuous Output
xmms-flac - Free Lossless Audio Codec - XMMS input plugin
liveice - Live audio streaming application
xmms-liveice - XMMS plugin that sends your audio to a shoutcast server
liblame0 - LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder
lame - LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder
lame-extras - LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder

There are probaly some good HOWTO documents on:
http://www.mp3-howto.com/ and/or http://www.tldp.org/

Thanks,
William

PS: About a week ago I posted that "I need to be able to determine the
play duration of an mp3 from the command line in Linux. What is my
best option?" and I still have no responses.

Test:
mpg123 --verbose mp3-files .. (?)

PSS: If there is a better newsgroup to post this to let me know and I
will post there. Thanks.

DS. I also have problem getting responds for my post "Speakers for
mp3players alarm"..

--
Mvh, Per Blomqvist
Web: http://phoohb.shellkonto.se
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley

wrote in message
[...]

I know the Windows version of Audacity can do this. I forget exactly which
command you want. One of them can change the speed of the audio, but does
no pitch correction, so faster gives you higher pitch. Another command
changes the speed and also does a pitch correction so the pitch stays the
same.

After your editing is done, it can use LAME for the mp3 encoding. I'm
guessing it's a standard feature and would be included in the Linux version
as well. Best of all, it's free. ;-)

Jeff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com
Greetings,

I listen to audio books. Normally I listen to a book in
a compressed time period by speeding it up. The problem
is that I can only use my computer to listen to books
"speed up". Does anyone know how to recompress an mp3 so
that it plays back in a shorter time period (or a wav
file which I could then convert to an mp3?) If you could
actually give me a command line example that would be
what I would consider a "best case" response. I am using
an IBM R50p running FC3 (*Linux).

I could tell you a number of ways to do this in Windows, but they would

all
cost you money.

Audacity + LAME can do this (and will even do the pitch correction at the
same time) and they are both free.

Jeff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Joe Kesselman

Your questions would be substantial (i.e. not trivial) even for
MSwin, and seem imponderable in Linux to most of us.

Huh?

Software tools to play back audio faster (by taking tiny cuts out of it)
or slower (by inserting tiny loops into it) are common. (Heck, there are
versions of this in firmware of some professional CD players, to allow
independent adjustment of time and pitch when trying to match live
singers and/or dancers.)

Implementations of that are fairly easy to come by, under silly names
like "The amazing slow-downer". Free implementations exist; I don't know
if any of them have been ported to Linux, but if any of them come with
source they ought to be pretty trivial to recompile for the Linux
environment.

Running that over an MP3 is no harder than running it over any other
audio file -- expand the MP3 to an uncompressed flat audio file (same
process as playing it), manipulate it, then recompress it to MP3 if desired.

Determining play time: Same answer: Expand to flat audio, count samples,
scale by sample rate. Again, well understood, should be available open
source, at most you might need to do a bit of trivial porting.

The better newsgroup to ask these questions in would be a Linux-specific
newsgroup. It's file/data manipulation more than an audio question.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Joe Kesselman" wrote ...
Huh?

Software tools to play back audio faster (by taking tiny cuts out of it)
or slower (by inserting tiny loops into it) are common. (Heck, there are
versions of this in firmware of some professional CD players, to allow
independent adjustment of time and pitch when trying to match live singers
and/or dancers.)

Implementations of that are fairly easy to come by, under silly names like
"The amazing slow-downer". Free implementations exist; I don't know if any
of them have been ported to Linux, but if any of them come with source
they ought to be pretty trivial to recompile for the Linux environment.

Huh?
How does any of that answer the OP's specific question? He isn't
looking for an application to play MP3s at a different rate, he asked
for an application to modify and re-write the MP3 file in a new speed.

Running that over an MP3 is no harder than running it over any other audio
file -- expand the MP3 to an uncompressed flat audio file (same process as
playing it), manipulate it, then recompress it to MP3 if desired.

Again, he wasn't asking for theory (which any number of us could have
cited off the top of our heads as you did). He was asking for an already-
written application.

Determining play time: Same answer: Expand to flat audio, count samples,
scale by sample rate. Again, well understood, should be available open
source, at most you might need to do a bit of trivial porting.

OK, we acknowledge that you know how the tasks are accomplished.
Alas, answers in search of questions.

The better newsgroup to ask these questions in would be a Linux-specific
newsgroup. It's file/data manipulation more than an audio question.

news:rec.audio.tech is not a software-development newsgroup, either.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Richard Crowley wrote:
William.Deans wrote ...
[...]

I installed Audacity for Linux through something called "Fedora
Extras". When I tried to open an MP3 a window poped up informing me
that this version of Audacity was not compiled with MP3 support. I do
not know if it can be compiled with MP3 support under Linux or not but
I will investigate. Of course there is always the MP3--wav--Audacity
Processing--MP3 workflow which I will use in the meantime.

Thank you for your time and energy,
William
One of the frequently-suggested free audio applications around
these parts is "Audacity". There is a version available for Linux,
but dunno whether it has the ability to open MP3? I'd bet that
it has the ability to change time/pitch as this is a very common
feature on most audio apps.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com
Greetings,

I listen to audio books. Normally I listen to a book in
a compressed time period by speeding it up. The problem
is that I can only use my computer to listen to books
"speed up". Does anyone know how to recompress an mp3 so
that it plays back in a shorter time period (or a wav
file which I could then convert to an mp3?) If you could
actually give me a command line example that would be
what I would consider a "best case" response. I am using
an IBM R50p running FC3 (*Linux).

I could tell you a number of ways to do this in Windows, but they would all
cost you money.

Thanks to the help of other posters I was able to do it under Linux,
for free, with a minimum of effort. I am a happy camper.

PS: About a week ago I posted that "I need to be able to
determine the play duration of an mp3 from the command
line in Linux. What is my best option?" and I still have
no responses.

Please post again when you are using a mainstream, full-function OS.

Why do you hold animosity towards me because I choose to use Linux? I
am a capitalist and love what Microsoft was able to accomplish for its
investors, the United States, and the world. I don't think Microsoft
is a "bad company" any more or less than any other large
corporation is "bad." The problem is that they should never have
been put in the position of having a virtual monopoly. Now that they
are a virtual monopoly they have little reason to innovate, etc. I
support Linux not because I hope Microsoft goes away, but because I
believe it is the best hope for them to have any real competition to
spur on continuing innovation. I am equally happy for Microsoft, OSX
or Linux to win out so long as innovation continues as rapidly as
possible. PS: For the record I have yet to find a need for a feature
which does not exist on Linux.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Per Blomqvist wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much for your response.

--
Mvh, Per Blomqvist
Web: http://phoohb.shellkonto.se
Telnr: +46 70-3355632

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote in message
oups.com
Greetings,

I listen to audio books. Normally I listen to a book in
a compressed time period by speeding it up. The problem
is that I can only use my computer to listen to books
"speed up". Does anyone know how to recompress an mp3 so
that it plays back in a shorter time period (or a wav
file which I could then convert to an mp3?) If you could
actually give me a command line example that would be
what I would consider a "best case" response. I am using
an IBM R50p running FC3 (*Linux).

I could tell you a number of ways to do this in Windows, but they would

all
cost you money.

Audacity + LAME can do this (and will even do the pitch correction at the
same time) and they are both free.

Jeff

Lame did not come with my Linux distro but I was able to download it.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Richard Crowley wrote:
[...]

Mr. Kesselman was responding to your post, not so much my initial
question. As far as I am concerned is totally valid. As it happens
Mr. Kesselman's response about getting code to compile on another
platform was exactly the path I took for determining song duration. I
downloaded a version of mp3info which did not compile under Fedora Core
3 with gcc 3.4.4 and I made a small modification to the code which
allowed it to work. I sent this response back to the original author:
(just in case someone else comes across this thread and needs to make
the same modifications)