Adam Drake

Default NEWBIE: Building loudspeaker recommendations?

I'm looking to build a set of bookshelf speakers as a way of learning
about speaker design. Can anyone recommend any books or websites that
can help me learn? How about any companies that supply drivers or kits?

Thanks!

Adam
reply: (remove NOSPAM)

Murray Peterson

Adam Drake wrote in news:6rWdnRsGveCY9-XdRVn-
:

I'm looking to build a set of bookshelf speakers as a way of learning
about speaker design. Can anyone recommend any books or websites that
can help me learn?

http://www.speakerworkshop.com/
http://www.audiocircuit.com/

Jonny Durango

Well right now there is quite a discussion about building a set of the
famous LS3/5A studio monitors in two threads, called "LS3/5A B110's" and
"DIY LS3/5A", the latter probably being more relevant to what you're looking
for. Check out the website www.ls35a.com lots of info, pictures and detailed
drawings of building these speakers.

Just remember that in any speaker system you build, A LOT of research has
gone into every design aspect of the speakers (assuming they are at least
decent quality). Unless you are an expert, and have a lot of specialized
equipment, you simply cannot "take liberties" with the design of any
speakers and hope to come out with a good result. The exact dimensions of
the cabinet, the type of woods used, the thickness of foam or other damping
materials, and most importantly the crossover (as you'll see in the thread
"DIY LS3/5A's) must be strictly adhered to if you want a good set of
speakers.

This is because when a company designs a good pair of speakers for mass
production, they put a lot of money into research and development and
getting everything just right through lots of complicated tests and trial
and error. If you change, for example, the type of plywood used to construct
the cabinets from birch to maple, it might radically (or minimally) effect
the frequency response, perhaps killing the mid's or boosting the high's. To
give you an idea of the complexities of speaker design, check this out:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1976-29.pdf

Good luck!!

--

Jonny Durango

http://www.soundclick.com/ratcitymusic.htm

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the
country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag
the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a
parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have
to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for
lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
-- Herman Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall, at the Nuremberg trials after
WWII.

"Adam Drake" wrote in message
I'm looking to build a set of bookshelf speakers as a way of learning
about speaker design. Can anyone recommend any books or websites that
can help me learn? How about any companies that supply drivers or kits?

Thanks!

Adam
reply: (remove NOSPAM)

Stig Erik Tangen

Jonny Durango wrote:
This is because when a company designs a good pair of speakers for mass
production, they put a lot of money into research and development and
getting everything just right through lots of complicated tests and trial
and error.

If this was true, we should ask why the majority of mass production
speakers sounds .... well.... not so good?

Regards,
Stig Erik Tangen