Arny Krueger

Default NEWBIE: Headphone impedance question

TonyP wrote:
TonyP wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Sennheiser HD 580

Great headphones, but may not be the best choice for a mini disk
without an amplifier.

MD players have lower output than hard drive players and MP3
players?

By and large, devices that are normally battery operated have lower
maximum output than devices normally powered from the AC line.

In this case, they're all portable, battery-operated devices.

Yep, and the Senn 580's aren't designed for portable battery operated
devices or they would make them 32 ohm!

I have a number of pieces of battery-operated devices and have happily used
my 580s with all of them.

Indeed, one of my quests has been to find listening devices that sound as
good as 580s, but are more suitable for portable use. The best I've found
yet are my FutureSonics IEMs:

http://futuresonics.umsebiz.com/stor...75&item=370255

While 580s do have pretty high impedance, they are about as sensitive to
pure voltage sources as many other headphones. IME, compliaints about lack
of loudness with them have as much to do with the fact that they are
relatively free of peaky response, as anything else.

anybody-but-bush

: TonyP wrote:
: "Arny Krueger" wrote in message
: ...
:
[...]

I have the HD 600's and the MDR7506. On a battery operated device in a car or plane
you will not get enough volume from the HD 600 ( 580) due to the open air
interference and the low output. The Sony 7506 will rock your world in those
environment. I stopped taking the Sennheisers on the road. Can't hear them.

Phil
:

Arny Krueger

TonyP wrote:
[...]

I have 580s and MDR7506s. Use 'em both all the time. IME, 7506's have more
response in the upper midrange. I agree with your comments about open-back
versus closed.

iQbal

I personally use an HD25 which is 70 ohms 120 db headhphone
Typical consumer headphones are around 32 ohms 105~115 db
The 580's are 300 ohms 97 db.

So yes voltage drive would limit the output on the 580's and so would
be bad choice for portable devices.

TonyP wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Sennheiser HD 580

Great headphones, but may not be the best choice for a mini disk
without an amplifier.

MD players have lower output than hard drive players and MP3 players?

By and large, devices that are normally battery operated have lower
maximum output than devices normally powered from the AC line.

In this case, they're all portable, battery-operated devices.

Yep, and the Senn 580's aren't designed for portable battery operated
devices or they would make them 32 ohm!

TonyP.

TonyP

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
I have a number of pieces of battery-operated devices and have happily

used
my 580s with all of them.

Fair enough, the output's a bit low for me.

While 580s do have pretty high impedance, they are about as sensitive to
pure voltage sources as many other headphones. IME, compliaints about lack
of loudness with them have as much to do with the fact that they are
relatively free of peaky response, as anything else.

Not at all, my Sony's may be a bit peakier, but the output is definitely a
lot higher than my 580's, for the same input.
I wouldn't use the 580's for portable use anyway, so it doesn't worry me at
all.

TonyP.