paul packer

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:37:51 -0400, George M. Middius cmndr
[underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote:

said:

One of the most oft repeated mantras of the subjective enterprise is that
even a small change in a system can make a great difference. Which means
by definition that all of the mag reviews are of no benefit to readers
because they can't duplicate the system and listening context and sound
sources used in the article. Further, it is oft said that several bits of
gear was swapped in and out during the listening period, which makes an
informed consumer choice based on the article even more remote. One more
point, who reviews the reviewers that the reader may know where on the
tinear scale they fall?

Your expectations of reviews are unrealistic.

Actually, George, this poster is touching on something you brought up
in another thread when you talked about synergy. And he has a valid
point, I think. Many moons ago I wrote an article for an Oz hi-fi mag
where I raised this same question: how does one grade components on an
absolute sound quality (as opposed to measurement) basis when no
component operates in isolation, when every component's sound is
determined by its synergy with the other components in the system?
Taken logically, a group test of amplifiers, say, is undermined by the
inevitability of some of the amps better matching the speakers being
used, or the speakers providing an easier load for certain amps. Given
that no component can be operated in isolation, but must be used with
other, necessarily imperfect components, surely the only review with
any real validity is a review of a complete system, the proviso being
that if the reader fails to duplicate that exact system in every
detail, the review is invalid.

That said, I enjoy reviews and use them as a guide, though not as a
bible. If reviewers from two or three different mags agree that a
component is exceptional, it probably is--which however doesn't change
what I've said above. Even the best gear must be used with
sympathetic equipment, and I strongly suspect that over the years I've
sold a lot of good equipment I should have kept and tried to match
better. This is where an experienced dealer is probably of more use
than a reviewer.

Incidentally, one other area where reviews have their limitations is
in their failure to tell you how reliable something is likely to be.
In the end, this is vastly more important than minute differences in
sound quality.
dave weil

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:16:40 GMT, SSJVCmag
wrote:

On 9/22/05 6:48 AM, in article ,
"dave weil" wrote:

Even Arnold isn't THAT annoying.

Annoying is in the mind of the annoyed...

On 9/21/05 10:45 PM, in article jVoYe.120966$Ep.54098@lakeread02, "ScottW"
wrote:

Hey asshole... I didn't start the crosspost and I don't continue it when
responding to people in my origin group... but the guy I was responding to
isn't from my group... so I do a reply all.

Message to RAP... this idiot is going out of his way to **** off everyone on
RAO. Suggest you heel your dog before both groups go to hell.

ScottW

Scott, get this:
First, I'm not RAP's 'dog' (or any other functionary) any more than a cow's
tail is a 5th leg. You're barking up the wrong tree. My posts are on RAO.
Some few are on a thread topic. Bizarrely, the bulk are under an RAO thread
(one of several) that now seems to be a vehicle for a few RAO wunderkinds
who need to dump their garbage in somebody else's yard. This is ABOUT RAO,
taking place IN RAO, and originated from RAO. (quelle surprise).

Second, Threatening some sort of cross-newgroup retaliation lamely excused
by RAO's insistance on a whacked denial of responsibility for simple
netequette self-crosspost-monitoring is just laughable since,
crossposting-volume word-for-word: the crap recently coming out of RAO
that's getting forcibly splattered ('spam' is a whole other thing.. Check
your current dictionary) across 6 various newsgroups, usually 4
simultaneously, that includes massive requoting and an incomprehensible
(outside of RAO) 6th grade name-calling a dissapointingly unimaginative
approach to epithets, is a feat of textural annoyance whose sheer volume I
couldn't match even if I had the time or inclination to try. Couple that
with the simple fact that I have been at all times pointedly terse, concise,
polite and SIMPLE in approach to merely requesting that a sudden stream of
this detritus be limited back in the areas where it's appreciated.

Get over it and keep it in your own yard.
Please.
Thanks

Why are you now adding stuff to my reply? Especially when it's
irrelevant stuff?

Is it because you aren't as benign as you claim?
dave weil

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:38:12 GMT, SSJVCmag
wrote:

You could say that, but only IF you ignored the even earlier inexplicable
sudden crossposting of SEVERAL RAO threads to a bunch of groups, said
splatter apparently not fostered by any point other than to foster just that
sort of response. REGARDLESS of the vacuous reason for that RAO
hornet-baiting, a simple polite request that folks just trim it down seems
to hit the Xtra-Sensitive folks here like some sort of religious attack,
like a 'DON:T WALK sign were some sort of impingement on persoonal freedom
and thus cause for blows. Is a confirmed lack of even a vestigal sense of
humor a requirement for being an accepted regular here?

You yourself have been guilty of crossposting, as recently as
yesterday.

And if you think you're being "polite" with your comments, you're just
nuts.

Get over yourself and quick.

The idea of repeating a crosspost is simple - SOMEONE thought it was
worth sharing. If you don't like the share, it's simple - just ignore
it. The rest of us MIGHT pass it along, as there are now people from
the other groups possibly following the thread. You don't speak for
everyone, you know.

In fact, that's how you ended up infesting RAO. You have to be a bit
disconcerted to be played like a fiddle by being drawn into the mire
that is RAO chuckle.

Scott Dorsey

pH wrote:
On 21 Sep 2005 13:58:43 GMT, wrote:

In rec.audio.pro pH wrote:
On 20 Sep 2005 12:49:32 -0700, "ScottW" wrote:

What is hight art?

Something which takes skill / talent to accomplish; the rarer the skill /
talent, the higher the art.

What is low art?

Something which takes no skill / talent to accomplish.

So that guy in the Guinness Book of World records who ate an entire airplane
(the only person to ever do so - very rare skill)

A rare feat, perhaps, but... "skill"? If you say so...

I remember being about nine years old and going through the Hirschorn museum
in DC with my father.

There was an exhibit from a fellow who took enemas of tempera paint and
squirted them out on canvas.

My father claimed that this was not art, that it was disgusting, and that
anybody could do it. He was horrified that the artist was paid $250,000
for this work.

I asked if he would be willing to do this for $250,000, and he said that
not for a million dollars would he be willing to paint with an enema.
"That," I replied, "is what makes it art."

He glared pretty hard at me.

SSJVCmag

wrote:

You could say that, but only IF you ignored the even earlier inexplicable
sudden crossposting of SEVERAL RAO threads to a bunch of groups, said
splatter apparently not fostered by any point other than to foster just that
sort of response. REGARDLESS of the vacuous reason for that RAO
hornet-baiting, a simple polite request that folks just trim it down seems
to hit the Xtra-Sensitive folks here like some sort of religious attack,
like a 'DON:T WALK sign were some sort of impingement on persoonal freedom
and thus cause for blows. Is a confirmed lack of even a vestigal sense of
humor a requirement for being an accepted regular here?

The idea of repeating a crosspost is simple - SOMEONE thought it was
worth sharing. If you don't like the share, it's simple - just ignore
it.

This is DANDY, never said different, one post maketh not a problem... They
usually clear up quick... it's when the thread then continues interminably,
with dozens of posts a day, for a week that it's less-than-benign.
One 'share the thread' crosspost (or even one "splatter-yer-newgroup"
crosspost) does not an Upset-Me create... **** happens, you clean it up. All
I've been espousing is that with continued tossing of streams of trash into
the neighbor's grass, yelling "Just paint it all green and ignore it!" when
they're miffed is -not- the right answer.
Not really too tough.

In fact, that's how you ended up infesting RAO.

You guys have, outside of the current Admin, THE most singularly fascinating
frivolous-dynamic-redefining of common terms I know!

You have to be a bit
disconcerted to be played like a fiddle by being drawn into the mire
that is RAO chuckle.

So far the only mire is I've got my toes in is right here...
And truly, You guys have a dead lock on the regular stuff that goes down in
here... hasn;t changed in the years I've seen it. There's the occasional
interesting exchange but on the whole, well...

Any crosspost silliness has been fr days now generated soley by RAO denizens
intent on re-enacting the French Scene from Holy Grail.

Coffee's up.. Gotta run

Richard Crowley

"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
I remember being about nine years old and going through the Hirschorn
museum
in DC with my father.

There was an exhibit from a fellow who took enemas of tempera paint
and
squirted them out on canvas.

My father claimed that this was not art, that it was disgusting, and
that
anybody could do it. He was horrified that the artist was paid
$250,000
for this work.

I asked if he would be willing to do this for $250,000, and he said
that
not for a million dollars would he be willing to paint with an enema.
"That," I replied, "is what makes it art."

He glared pretty hard at me.

I even see parallels to what passes for "music" these days.
Gotta agree with your father. :-)

Ruud Broens

"SSJVCmag" wrote in message
:..continued tossing of streams of trash into the neighbor's grass, ..

he, you Arny's bro, bro ? :-)
on the lawn, not just the dawn

George M. Middius

paul packer said:

Actually, George, this poster is touching on something you brought up
in another thread when you talked about synergy. And he has a valid
point, I think. Many moons ago I wrote an article for an Oz hi-fi mag
where I raised this same question: how does one grade components on an
absolute sound quality (as opposed to measurement) basis when no
component operates in isolation, when every component's sound is
determined by its synergy with the other components in the system?

Did you get paid by the word? ;-)

I agree with Mr. Weil's opinion. Unless you can establish a correlation
between your preferences and the reviewer's preferences, a review is only
a rough guideline.

"I agree with Mr. Weil's opinion. Unless you can establish a correlation
between your preferences and the reviewer's preferences, a review is only
a rough guideline."

This helps not at all. If a reviewer says he likes a hot top end etc. and
you concur, any gear in his current review still has no meaning to you
because you haven't the duplicate system etc. by which he reports his
perceptions. The mags often take the dodge suggested, find a reviewer you
like because you agree and follow him. Which of course has all manner of
inherent non audio mine fields and really lends nothing about really
knowing about the reality of perceptions reported.

Most likely the room is the source of hot high end perceptions if he
reports it as a particular item in his reviews, it is about dispersion
patterns and interactions with the room and the speakers

Any amp, for example, said to have one type of high end or another is
really a report of what that room interaction is. Reviews are almost
useless for any relevant information except what one might deduce from
specifications and how they are known to potentially relate to sound, such
as would be evident with the radiation pattern of a speaker.
DaveW

Scott Dorsey wrote:
snip

I remember being about nine years old and going through the Hirschorn museum
in DC with my father.

There was an exhibit from a fellow who took enemas of tempera paint and
squirted them out on canvas.

That's not art. That's fart.

DAve

SSJVCmag

On 9/22/05 3:03 PM, in article teDYe.22433$zG1.10749@trnddc05, "DaveW"
wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:
snip

I remember being about nine years old and going through the Hirschorn museum
in DC with my father.

There was an exhibit from a fellow who took enemas of tempera paint and
squirted them out on canvas.

That's not art. That's fart.

DAve

Fine Art...
F'art...

dave weil

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:07:20 GMT, SSJVCmag
wrote:

Any crosspost silliness has been fr days now generated soley by RAO denizens
intent on re-enacting the French Scene from Holy Grail.

Wrong. You crossposted just yesterday.

Sorry, you lose.

Again.

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:34:22 GMT, "
wrote:

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:30:11 GMT, "
wrote:

At least those who beleive in God are trying to formualte a theory for
something that actually exists.

If there was proof of God's existence, there would be no need to
believe. :-)

Just like there's no proof of the differences that people claim to hear
under sighted conditions, yet people still take such claims on faith.

But the latter is testable. ;-)

Kal

Yes, through a DBT protocol.

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
k.net...

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" said:

It's meaningful if you lack confidence in your own
ability to make rational judgements to such a degree that
you require proof. ]

So what are you saying Dormer, its irrational to want proof
of anything?

How irrational is it to believe in a god, without any proof that it
exists?

At least those who beleive in God are trying to formualte a theory for
something that actually exists. Shakti sotnes exist, but have no
audible effect.

Also, nobody HAS to pay for their belief in God.

They are not formulating any theories, they
are reading a book, and beleiving what it says.

Believing in God has no audible or other effect.

Nobody has to pay for their belief in Shakti stones.

They have to pay to won them, though, just
as churchgoers have to pay for membership or tithe.

I mean, somebody is paying for them, these churches aren't popping up
all over the place by the grace of God, are they?

You don't have to belong to a church to believe in God.

nor do you have to own Shakti Stones to believe that
somebody, somewhere might percieve a difference when using them.
Note, I am an Agnostic.

Perception is not the question, performance is. Either they perform some
audible function or not. People can perceive things that aren't really
happening, which is the case with Shakti Stones. The only known effect they
have is in the RF area, not at audible freqencies.

"George Middius" wrote in message

duh-Mikey grunted:

Tne Bug Eater desperately tries to get some of the stink off the
Krooborg.

How irrational is it to believe in a god, without any proof that it
exists?

At least those who beleive in God are trying to formualte a theory for
something that actually exists.

Thanks Mr. McMickey for admitting you were lying about being an atheist.
LOt"S!

Thanks for admitting you don't understand what the **** is going on if the
discussion rises above the level of name calling.

Take responsibility for your own goof, Mickey. Say what you meant instead
of
relying on Normals to read your murky mire of a mind.

Nowhere did I say I am now a theist. I was simply pointing out that there
is a basis, albeit a flawed one) for positing the existence of a Supreme
Being.

PD said:

It's meaningful if you lack confidence in your own ability to make
rational judgements to such a degree that you require proof.

One of Krooger's many problems is that he assumes all tweaks are phoney
and
their proponents are all lying.

That's a lie. Tweaks are testable and many of them are simply fraudulent on
their face.

If the scientific establishment were run by
'borgs, no investigations of perceived phenomena would be permitted
because
"proof" would be required before data can be collected.

Another lie, it is perceptions that give rise to the investigation into
phenomena.

wrote in message

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

I always urge people to spend as much as they can afford on speakers,
because they are the most important part of any system.

The implication here is that spending more on speakers will make your
system sound better.

Are you disputing that better speakers will make a system sound better?

"As much as they can afford" suggests that there is no
practical limit to the improvement you can make in this fashion; that the
sound quality of your system ultimately depends on how much money you
spend on your speakers.

It was not my intention to imply that, most people involved in audio IME,
have some idea of where the law of diminishing returns takes hold.

I don't believe either of these things. I've not noticed any correlation
between the price of speakers and their sound quality.

I don't know what speakers you've listened to, but IME better speakers tend
to be more expensive than lesser ones.

Try listening to a set of Merlin VSM's and compare them to anything else at
a lesser price. I predict you'll likely be hard pressed to find very many
that equal their sound, and they will likely be from Dynaudio or someone
using Dynaudio or Scan-Speak drivers.

This is not to say that it ismpossible to build a great sounding speaker for
a low price, only that the technology of driver design and speaker building
comes at a price.

Jenn

In article uK3Ye.120911$Ep.61696@lakeread02,
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article .com,
"ScottW" wrote:

Jenn wrote:

"Audio Magazine" was for me the best all round publication with it's
attempts to attach sound differences to technical differences and to
the
hands on diy articles that provided insight from the ground up, so to
speak. I greave still for it. On reflection the hand writing on the
wall
for it might have been when they hired greenberg to do stereophile
type
fancy writing with heavy breathing and entertaining little throw away
bits
of information and personal perceptions that were of no value to
anyone.

But what really killed it was all those tech type nerds, among which
count myself, who got their jollies with electronics moving to
computers
in large numbers, or it at least diluted the pool of such people
across a
greater range of diversions which left too few to support the niche
the
mag filled.

If I may repeat something that I've said here before, the same thing is
starting to happen, IMHO, to music in general. The state of cultural
literacy in our county is sickening, and is getting worse. The very
reason for the hobby that we enjoy is in danger. Ask the next 20
people
under age 30 that you meet who George Gershwin (or Bernstein, or
Copland...) was and be ready for a shock. We had best take care of our
cultural institutions and how we educate people about them, or we will
only be playing synthesized violins and pink noise on our beloved audio
systems.

Uuugh.... the elitism of this is a bit shocking IMO. You seem to be
asking that young people be forced to understand and appreciate art
forms that aren't part of their generation's interest.

In the same way that I would ask young people to be "forced" to learn
Hemmingway and Shakespeare, and Renoir, yes.

If you're gonna
do that why not impose appreciation of the best (my favorite) bands of
the 70's or Jazz greats...or Frank Zappa?

I would include them as well!

The problem is not in what is included... the problem arises with the
exclusions.

I suppose so. If you carry your argument to it's logical end though, it
seems that you're advocating for not learning anything that happened
previous to today!

Exactly what is cultural literacy?

In my view, CL is the "shared canon"... that which we should all know
and/or experience in order to have a society that is not just broad, but
also deep;

If we all knew the same things and shared the same experiences...
how broad and deep a society would that be?

I'm not advocating that. I'm advocating for a common cultural base-line
knowledge... not a "maximum". You're free to learn whatever you want to
learn, after all.

knowledge that leads to a deeper understanding of ourselves
and others. Students need to know Shakespeare, Basie, and Bernstein.

I prefer Heinlein, Fripp, and Weber.

Who decides what is and is not
worthy of cultural maintenance which is what you appear to be
advocating?

Good question!

If everyone studied only the so called masterpieces of our culture would
they remain masterpieces?

Yes, but that's not what I'm advocating, of course.
Jenn

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MINe 109" wrote in message

In article
. com,
"ScottW" wrote:

wrote:
" Uuugh.... the elitism of this is a bit shocking IMO.
You seem to be asking that young people be forced to
understand and appreciate art forms that aren't part of
their generation's interest. If you're gonna do that
why not impose appreciation of the best (my favorite)
bands of the 70's or Jazz greats...or Frank Zappa? "

For the same reason we ask students to consider the art
of mathmatics and history and philosophy.

I've taken a lot of math and none of it was art. Pure
science.

There are in all of them and more those examples
which set standards and the multitude which are throw
aways, so too in music.

I've no problem with people interested in voluntarily
pursuing study of music... but I do have a problem with
it being deemed necessary in an effort to preserve
culture. To preserve culture is to kill it and make it
stagnant.

Music has always been part of the Western educational
tradition, back to the Liberal Arts of the Middle Ages.

Stephen, do you seriously think that this is a relevant
response to Scott's declaration?

It looks like a platitude to me.

Also it is impossible to understand music today absent
it's roots
in classical forms and why it is so. Jass was a fusion
of classical forms and other traditions. So yes, just
hearing the current crop of music is then gruel when
comppared to the feast of music spread in time and
place.

While I tend to subjectively agree with your assessment
of the current crop I resist anyone imposing their
perception of feast or gruel on anyone else.
Culture itslef will ultimately decide what is worth
preserving and what is not which I think is beyond the
control of man (or woman).

Of course, if that culture isn't educated enough to
appreciate the qualities of art-music, it's deciding from
ignorance.

This isn't about art in general or music in general. It's
about very specific music. Is it really art if people have
to be forced through elaborate reprogramming exercises
before they act like they like it?

Wow! Talk about a bunch of presumptions! Your last sentence contains
several!
Arny Krueger

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MINe 109" wrote in message

In article
. com,
"ScottW" wrote:

Culture itslef will ultimately decide what is worth
preserving and what is not which I think is beyond the
control of man (or woman).

Of course, if that culture isn't educated enough to
appreciate the qualities of art-music, it's deciding
from ignorance.

This isn't about art in general or music in general. It's
about very specific music. Is it really art if people
have to be forced through elaborate reprogramming
exercises before they act like they like it?

Wow! Talk about a bunch of presumptions! Your last
sentence contains several!

If you're brave, list 'em and address 'em

Jenn

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MINe 109" wrote in message

In article
. com,
"ScottW" wrote:

Culture itslef will ultimately decide what is worth
preserving and what is not which I think is beyond the
control of man (or woman).

Of course, if that culture isn't educated enough to
appreciate the qualities of art-music, it's deciding
from ignorance.

This isn't about art in general or music in general. It's
about very specific music. Is it really art if people
have to be forced through elaborate reprogramming
exercises before they act like they like it?

Wow! Talk about a bunch of presumptions! Your last
sentence contains several!

If you're brave, list 'em and address 'em

1. Forced?
2. Elaborate reprogramming exercises?
3. ACT like they like it?

Arny Krueger

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MINe 109" wrote in message

In article
. com,
"ScottW" wrote:

Culture itslef will ultimately decide what is worth
preserving and what is not which I think is beyond
the control of man (or woman).

Of course, if that culture isn't educated enough to
appreciate the qualities of art-music, it's deciding
from ignorance.

This isn't about art in general or music in general.
It's about very specific music. Is it really art if
people have to be forced through elaborate
reprogramming exercises before they act like they like
it?

Wow! Talk about a bunch of presumptions! Your last
sentence contains several!

If you're brave, list 'em and address 'em

1. Forced?

possibly a synonym for "educated" above.

2. Elaborate reprogramming exercises?

again see "education"

3. ACT like they like it?

Obviously the subjects of the "education" exercises didn't
like the music they were being "educated" to like before
they were "educated".

IOW, I like classical and certain kinds of traditional
music, but I realize that my grandchildren see the same
music from 50+ years later.

Goofball_star_dot_etal

One can overdo it!

Margaret von B.

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

I remember being about nine years old and going through the Hirschorn
museum
in DC with my father.

There was an exhibit from a fellow who took enemas of tempera paint and
squirted them out on canvas.

I believe the piece is called Breakfast at Arny's.

Cheers,

Margaret

Jenn

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MINe 109" wrote in message

In article
. com,
"ScottW" wrote:

Culture itslef will ultimately decide what is worth
preserving and what is not which I think is beyond
the control of man (or woman).

Of course, if that culture isn't educated enough to
appreciate the qualities of art-music, it's deciding
from ignorance.

This isn't about art in general or music in general.
It's about very specific music. Is it really art if
people have to be forced through elaborate
reprogramming exercises before they act like they like
it?

Wow! Talk about a bunch of presumptions! Your last
sentence contains several!

If you're brave, list 'em and address 'em

1. Forced?

possibly a synonym for "educated" above.

Two different ways of seeing education, I suppose.

2. Elaborate reprogramming exercises?

again see "education"

Ditto my last comment.

3. ACT like they like it?

Obviously the subjects of the "education" exercises didn't
like the music they were being "educated" to like before
they were "educated".

In what way is that obvious?

IOW, I like classical and certain kinds of traditional
music, but I realize that my grandchildren see the same
music from 50+ years later.

Is teaching about the Revolutionary War less important now than it was
50 years ago?
Clyde Slick

/
[...]

--scott

Arny might be interested in a modeling job.

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
ink.net...

Perception is not the question, performance is. Either they perform some
audible function or not. People can perceive things that aren't really
happening, which is the case with Shakti Stones. The only known effect
they have is in the RF area, not at audible freqencies.

No, the ultimate purpose of an audio system is to provide a means to
play music for our enjoyment.
Perception is IT. Whay you enjoy
listening to and through is what counts

Clyde Slick

wrote:

Any crosspost silliness has been fr days now generated soley by RAO
denizens
intent on re-enacting the French Scene from Holy Grail.

Wrong. You crossposted just yesterday.

Sorry, you lose.

And now we founsd out that this FRAUD has been doing the
same thing on ahost of other newsgroups. He is THE BIGGEST crossposter
around here!!

George M. Middius

Goofy said:

One can overdo it!

Moderation in all things, foolish or wise.

George M. Middius

Jenn said:

Is teaching about the Revolutionary War less important now than it was
50 years ago?

The state of Kroofulness does not admit to the possibility of learning new
things.

George M. Middius

Clyde Slick said:

No, the ultimate purpose of an audio system is to provide a means to
play music for our enjoyment.
Perception is IT. Whay you enjoy
listening to and through is what counts

For Mickey, audio has nothing to do with enjoyment. In fact, nothing in
Mickey's sad existence has anything to do with enjoyment.