BIG_DOOR_6

Default question about cd player brands

This is a question about 5-disc carousel cd players:

I pieced together a low-end component system from Rex Appliance (electronics
chain here in the U.S.) including a JVC XL-FZ158BK cd player ... I got it
home and only then realized that it did not have a remote, which is critical
for me because i sometimes use my cd player to learn musical passages,
guitar solos, picking out lyrics in a fast song, etc, and this is so much
easier with a remote. It was my bad - i'd just assumed it would have a
remote and forgot to even ask.

The JVC was $80 and i had a 10% off coupon making it $72. I called Rex back
and they said the only kind they carried currently that had a remote was a
Technics model for $99, and that the coupon was now expired and there was no
way they could take 10% of the replacement player. Best Buy had a range of
5-disc carousels with remotes from RCA at $59 to KLH at $89 to Sony at $129.
I ask the guy why the range of prices and he said that they all have the
same features but for example Sony would have a much better eye in it.

So, i guess my question is whether $99 for the Technics is approximately
about right for the quality i would get, given the range at Best Buy and the
original JVC without a remote at $80. If for some reason the Technics were
crappy compared to the KLH, i'd go get the KLH. If both are significantly
crappy compared to the Sony and i knew that most likely i'd get better
playing and a longer lifetime (or have it be less finicky about playing
certain cd's like the last carousel i had) the i'd just go ahead and spend
more money on the Sony at Best Buy.

Any ideas?

Arny Krueger

"BIG_DOOR_6" wrote in message

So, i guess my question is whether $99 for the Technics is
approximately about right for the quality i would get, given the
range at Best Buy and the original JVC without a remote at $80. If
for some reason the Technics were crappy compared to the KLH, I'd go
get the KLH. If both are significantly crappy compared to the Sony
and i knew that most likely I'd get better playing and a longer
lifetime (or have it be less finicky about playing certain cd's like
the last carousel i had) the i'd just go ahead and spend more money
on the Sony at Best Buy.

I've had a couple of Technics and Panasonic (parent company) CD players and
they have given me good service. I'd be a lot more concerned about buying a
KLH than a Technics/Panasonic. However, If I were you, I'd seriously
consider buying a DVD player over a CD player.

MiNE 109

In article ,
"BIG_DOOR_6" wrote:

So, i guess my question is whether $99 for the Technics is approximately
about right for the quality i would get, given the range at Best Buy and the
original JVC without a remote at $80.

The Technics might have an "AB repeat" function that would be just the
thing for those guitar solos. Check it out before you buy.

Expect anything in your price range to be basically crappy.

Stephen