Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default Vinyl making a comeback?

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Will the CD evenutally go the way of vinyl?

Possibly, but it will probably take far longer than it
did with vinyl. Vinyl basically died in less than 10
years.

Ignoring the previous 80 years of course!!!!!!!!!!

Revisionst history!

Yes it seems that's what you were attempting.

There was no vinyl 80 years ago. I doubt that the chemical vinyl had even
been invented.

And you ignore that I wrote "(I include acetate disks and cylinders here
which
are the same technology)" to make this point. Why?

There were large black disks with grooves in 1929, but they weren't

vinyl,
they weren't microgroove, they generally were not made or widely played
electronically (electronics was in its infancy), and they weren't stereo.

So what. They WERE similar mechanical groove on disk technology, AND
microgroove/stereo/vinyl disks were around a lot more than ten years in any
case, so your comment was still wrong!

(I include acetate disks and cylinders here which are the
same technology)

Nope. They were a related, predecessor technology.

Sure, why not say CD4 only lasted a couple of years if you want to make some
stupid, irrelevant point then?

There were many steps along the way.

Absolutely, and 78 disks were so similar they could still be played on many
of the latest turntables. NOT so with CD's which I would say ARE a
completely new technology.

You of course are welcome to any definition you like, as long as you don't
expect the whole world to agree with you!

Vinyl mono ruled from about 1953 to 1958, and vinyl stereo
ruled from 1958 to about 1988. So, give vinyl as we know it a 30 year

run.

And yet you said ten years, why?

MrT.