john muir

Default Quartet Recording Mix

In April, I asked for help in recording a quartet. I finished
recording this weekend and am starting to mix. The comments in the
thread I began really helped but now I have some additional questions:

(1) How do you pan the vocals...like this??? ...baritone 9 left, bass
9 right, high tenor 2 left and reg tenor 2 right?? They each take
solos in different songs...

(2) Was there a better way i should have tracked the vocals?

I ended up tracking each voice seperately so that I would have more
control during mixdown. They have really good voices, but I am glad I
did that as balance was sometimes a problem. I am not sure I used the
mics I had well and would appreciate your opinion: I borrowed to 87s
and put those on the tenors - I used my AKG Solidtube on the baritone
and the Soundelux u99 on the bass. To me the bass sounds tremendous
and the baritone sounds really very good. The high tenor (sometimes
falsetto)sounds kinda screetchy on the u87 and yet to hear him live,
you would say he had a creamy smooth, almost too good if you know what
I mean. I just figured U87s to be great mics and they would give me
very transparent - accurate sound. (BTW, I ran these through Pendulum
MDP-1 and Apogee converters. The tube mics went through an avalon
AD2022 + Apoggee converters and like I said, that combination was
really good.)The piano was tracked via oktava 012s in xy through a
Studio Technologies preamp which sounds ok...maybe a little
mid-rangey.

Thanks,

John