Scott Dorsey

Pooh Bear wrote:

Yeah - it doesn't take much to improve on an SM58 !

Does anyone here know for sure if they use the same capsule ? I can think of many AKG mics
that did so. With a smooth response too as it happens.

They are physically the same and they have the same response curve in free
air, but they have different part numbers. I assume Shure wants to keep
track of which mikes they are selling more replacements for.

agent86

TimPerry wrote:

Audix OM-6 or OM-6 far better sounding, about the same price range,
useable for home recording and live sound.

Where can you get an OM-6 at the same price as a 57 or 58?

George Gleason

agent86 wrote:
TimPerry wrote:

Audix OM-6 or OM-6 far better sounding, about the same price range,
useable for home recording and live sound.

Where can you get an OM-6 at the same price as a 57 or 58?

used from Rat Sound
Google them
agent86

sarah wrote:

first off: i hardly know anything about audio production. that being
out of the way, i come to seek your sage advice. i play music and
would like something general for home recording (vocals and acoustic
instruments mainly). i've been reccomended the shure sm57 or sm58.
however, being a poor/cheap *******, i've come across the nady sp 5,
which many compare favorably but seems a little suspect to me (the
list price on amazon.com and many other sites seem to be really
inflated, yet all their mics are really cheap, "on sale"). It seems
people compare it to the shure sm58. at the price, i am tempted to try
it, but don't want some crappy radioshack deal. So, anyone have any
experience with these? are three of them worth 20 bucks?

If you could only own two mics, they should probably both be SM7s . (Note
that this is a totally different situation from the "desert island"
scenario.) If you could only own one mic, it would probably be a toss up
between a 57 & a 635a.

The Nadys may well be decent mics. The real question might be "Is it worth
$20 to you to find out." If you can justify the $20 as tuition in the
school of hard knocks, then the mics themselves are essentially free.

My only personal experience with Nady was from a padded mic carrying bag I
stuck onto a Musician's Friend order just to get the order total up to the
point where you get free shipping. That experience showed me that Nady is
a company that's willing to put their name on a product that is an absolute
piece of ****. Of course, that doesn't mean the mics aren't OK, but it
also doesn't make me very enthusiactic about anything Nady, regardless of
price.

The 57s are about as cheap as you'll find any real professional mic of
equal versatility (under $90 new). Check out Full Compass, as they are
usually about the cheapest place to get new ones. Your timing is pretty
good, since Sure has a $10 rebate on through the end of the year.

agent86

George Gleason wrote:

agent86 wrote:

Where can you get an OM-6 at the same price as a 57 or 58?

used from Rat Sound
Google them

Thanks. Sold out at the moment, but I'll try later. Do you happen to know
anything about their Micro-wedge? Looks interesting, although kind of
pricey.

EganMedia

Is it just me, or does trying to read a post with
little or no capitalization sort of like listening to a musician who plays
all the notes with the exact same emphasis. BRBR

Same goes for punctuation. Questions, even rhetorical ones ought to end with a
question mark.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT