Dave Miller

Default 8 Channel Tube Mic Pre and Console Tube Mixer

Do we actually need more gear in the marketplace? Maybe. Since I
couldn't find exactly what suited my needs best for the type of
recording work I do,
I've spent parts of the last year creating a couple of "new" products
for my own use which might be of interest to some of you fellow
RAPPER's. Having been a long-time lurker and sometime contributor to
this forum as well as a contributor of a couple of tracks on the Fifth
of RAP CD collection, I've come to know and love many of you (from a
respectable distance) and have very much appreciated the continued
stimulation this forum provides. The technical info is great as are
the words and opinions regarding many of the off-topic subjects. At
any rate...........................

I like tubes and have all kinds of them at work for me - from those in
the pair of U-47's I lucked onto several years ago to the array of EL
34's on my home built monitor amps to those in a couple of MXL's Dave
Royer graciously helped me mod with parts of his kit and personal
advice on how I could use them with an on-hand Groove Tube dual power
supply (works great!). So it would follow that I also would want some
tubes in my mic pre's and certainly if possible in the studio mixer.

Don't like to spend money, though, and couldn't see my way clear to
owning a Manley 16-2 or any of the more expensive but well designed
and built tube preamps we all appreciate but may not be able to
afford. Furthermore, most of my work is on-location live or at least
quasi-live where we take the group to a performance hall vs. a
recording studio. Therefore the gear has to be portable and rugged.
And if I need more than a few tracks which happens with certain types
of groups like big bands, etc. then hauling a bunch of two channel mic
pre's and the required mixer for playback doesn't get it.

So using info from many sources including where threads from this site
have taken me, I've managed to design, build, and am now using a
couple pieces of what are turning out to be excellent tools in all
respects with fine reviews from the few clients so far.

The first is an 8 channel full 250v B+ tube mic pre in a standard 19"
wide by two high rack enclosure. The kicker here is that an op-amp
driven-from-the-tube-output mixer system is also installed so that
there are pan pots on each channel along with the mixing headphone
amp. Further there are line inputs on each channel so that not only
can you monitor with panning while you're recording (doesn't affect
the direct outs to the recorder) you can listen to mixed and panned
stereo playback on the spot when recording is stopped or finished for
the night.

The second is a 10 Channel (only because the parts price breaks
usually start at 10) console type mixer with a tube output section a
la the Manley 16-2 and the exact parametric EQ circuit on each channel
used on the Calrec Polar board from days of yore. All the other
standard features as well (100mm faders,etc.)

Rather than go on any further taking up bandwidth here, take a look at
this stuff on my band's Web site:

www.wallysjazz.com/wallys_new_web_site_002.htm

This address will take you directly to the Miller Analog Studios pages
where many photos and info now reside. If you wind up just on the band
site, click "Contact" on the Home page, and then "Miller Analog
Studios" on the Contact page.

Feedback of all types, negative and positive appreciated. Thanks for
looking.

Regards,

Dave Miller
Miller Analog Studios