TS

Default Shure Wireless Mics

I hope someone on here can help with some questions on Shure Wireless mics.

I have been looking at the ULXP with the beta 87. The model above the ULX
is the UHF Premier which seems to be the professional choice. This seems to
be twice the price of the ULX.

Can anyone educate me as to why there is such a big difference and is it
worth it.

I am looking at these for my church, so is the ULX good enough?

Also, can anyone recomend a suppplier in the UK (based on price and
expertise).

Thanks

"TS" wrote:

I hope someone on here can help with some questions on Shure Wireless mics.

I have been looking at the ULXP with the beta 87. The model above the ULX
is the UHF Premier which seems to be the professional choice. This seems to
be twice the price of the ULX.

Can anyone educate me as to why there is such a big difference and is it
worth it.

I am looking at these for my church, so is the ULX good enough?

Also, can anyone recomend a suppplier in the UK (based on price and
expertise).

The ULX mics use a new companding process. This is the only Shure
produce at this time which has the new process. So, ULX is not
compatible to any other Shure RF products.

The ULX line is not a compromise from the UHF Premier line (called
UHF by Shure)

Since all of the other Shure wireless can interchange transmitters and
receivers, as long as they share frequencies, one can assume that
there is a predicable similarity in sound quality.

The Premier UHF line recievers (U4) offer best RF sensativity and
selectivity, can operate into 600 ohn at line level, and are rack
mountable. As you step down from the U4 receivers, you find fewer
capabilities, but sinbce they can use the same tranmitters, the osund
will be similar.

ULX is a completely new approach to wireless for Shure.
Improved with the ULX:

1. Singal to noice: about 10DB quieter.
2. High Frequncy response: vertual immuity to hi freq smear (smearry
S's)
3. Higher RF power output 30 milliwatts-vs 10 milliwatts ( still not a
lot of pwoer but better that the UHF series)
4. freqency adgile over 6 TV channels ( UHF is over 4 channels)
additional frequency groups beyond the three offered with the UHF
line.
5. Receivers have a "scan" funtion for locating open frequencies.
6. Hand mics have internal antennas, eliminating the tendency for the
UHF hand mics with the external antennas to drop out when held around
the antenna.
7. Hand mics use 9 volt batteries, seem to run longer between battery
changes.

The only featured missing on the ULXP receiver is a head phone jack.
U4 receievrs can be puirchased in pairs with common antenna inputs,
if 2 ULXP receivers are used with an antennas coupler, each receiver
with require it own antenna feeds.

Other than that, ther ULX systems will sound cleaner, quieter and more
reliable under less than ideal receiving conditions.

I have used both and when I needed to buy 12 systems for a show I am
doing bought the ULXP systems over the UHFs.
Jack Kontney

wrote in message ...
"TS" wrote:

I hope someone on here can help with some questions on Shure Wireless mics.

I have been looking at the ULXP with the beta 87. The model above the ULX
is the UHF Premier which seems to be the professional choice. This seems to
be twice the price of the ULX.

Can anyone educate me as to why there is such a big difference and is it
worth it.

I am looking at these for my church, so is the ULX good enough?

Also, can anyone recomend a suppplier in the UK (based on price and
expertise).

The ULX mics use a new companding process. This is the only Shure
produce at this time which has the new process. So, ULX is not
compatible to any other Shure RF products.

The ULX line is not a compromise from the UHF Premier line (called
UHF by Shure). ULX is a completely new approach to wireless for Shure.
Improved with the ULX:

1. Signal to noise: about 10DB quieter.
[...]

A very fair and accurate assessment of ULXP, media@gte. I would add
that the ULXP4 receivers can be rack-mounted, but lack the heavy-duty,
roadworthy, integral rack-ears face found on the UHF series. That's
why ULXP is considered an installation product. ULXP won't take quite
the beating that the all-metal UHF will. Other than that, the biggest
differentiation issues are -- Number of simultaneous sytems in use,
and Fixed location vs. Touring/Rental. If you're doing a church and
under 20 systems, ULXP will be a great investment IMHO (see
affiliation below).

The UHF is still considered Shure's premium touring and broadcast
system, and is often seen in high-profile places where the ULXP will
not appear -- like live televised award shows. Heavy-duty
construction and battle-tested dependability mean a lot in critical
apps like this.

But the ULXP is the latest and greatest, technology-wise. Quick tip
-- Look for future Shure wireless and IEM (PSM) products to share this
very cool companding methodology. It's audibly better than older
methods. We may even give it a name...

As for UK referrals, go to
www.shuredistribution.co.uk and try the
"Stockists" button. It's a start...

-Jack Kontney
Shure Marcom Guy
....now serving other geographies, but still lurking on occasion...