Posted to rec.audio.car
WindsorFox WindsorFox is offline

Default Tweeter protection.

I have some extremely rare tweeters that I need to protect. Can
anyone recomend the size fuse I should use to stop at say 100 watts and
at 200 watts?

TIA
Posted to rec.audio.car
Eddie Runner Eddie Runner is offline

RARE TWEETERS??
What are they?

Eddie Runner

WindsorFox wrote:
I have some extremely rare tweeters that I need to protect. Can
anyone recomend the size fuse I should use to stop at say 100 watts and
at 200 watts?

TIA

Posted to rec.audio.car
John[_26_] John[_26_] is offline

More information about the setup and specs is needed to help you.
Whether you're using an external amplifier or head unit power, you
should just match it to the tweeters (less power to be safe as you want
to protect them). Also, use a proper crossover, highpass filter, or
whatever you choose to control what frequencies go to the tweeter. You
could also use an L-pad, resistor, fmod, or polyswitch (a fuse in
reality)...etc...etc...

John

Carstereos.org

Bcae1.com

--
John
Posted to rec.audio.car
Member02[_11_] Member02[_11_] is offline

John;675830 Wrote:

Carstereos.org

Bcae1.com

nice.

also, I'm curious myself, what model and brand of rare tweets? with
this, we could possibly beter help you.

--
Member02
Posted to rec.audio.car

Member02 wrote:
John;675830 Wrote:
Carstereos.org

Bcae1.com

nice.

also, I'm curious myself, what model and brand of rare tweets? with
this, we could possibly beter help you.

Now why would the brand make a difference on the wattage/current
that blows a fuse at @ 6 ohms? It's a Mirage M series.

Posted to rec.audio.car

John wrote:
More information about the setup and specs is needed to help you.
Whether you're using an external amplifier or head unit power, you
should just match it to the tweeters (less power to be safe as you want
to protect them). Also, use a proper crossover, highpass filter, or
whatever you choose to control what frequencies go to the tweeter. You
could also use an L-pad, resistor, fmod, or polyswitch (a fuse in
reality)...etc...etc...

John

Well I hit the send by accident. You're way over thinking the
question. It's not car audio but I asked here not because the equipment
is relevant, but because I figured the question was. So a Carver amp at
@ 750 wpc at 6 ohms into Mirage M1 speakers.
Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

On Apr 21, 6:48 pm, WindsorFox wrote:

Well I hit the send by accident. You're way over thinking the
question. It's not car audio but I asked here not because the equipment
is relevant, but because I figured the question was. So a Carver amp at
@ 750 wpc at 6 ohms into Mirage M1 speakers.

You're right...the make and model of the tweets is irrelevant, but
this really is a Google-it kind of question. It's a simple matter of
applying Ohm's law.

P = I^2 * R
P/R = I^2
sqrt(P/R) = I

So, take the amount of power the tweeter can handle, divide it by the
nominal impedance of the speaker and then take the square root of that
quotient--that'll give you the amount of current drawn. Fuse
accordingly.

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article . com, "D.Kreft" wrote:
On Apr 21, 6:48 pm, WindsorFox wrote:

Well I hit the send by accident. You're way over thinking the
question. It's not car audio but I asked here not because the equipment
is relevant, but because I figured the question was. So a Carver amp at
@ 750 wpc at 6 ohms into Mirage M1 speakers.

You're right...the make and model of the tweets is irrelevant, but
this really is a Google-it kind of question. It's a simple matter of
applying Ohm's law.

P = I^2 * R
P/R = I^2
sqrt(P/R) = I

So, take the amount of power the tweeter can handle, divide it by the
nominal impedance of the speaker and then take the square root of that
quotient--that'll give you the amount of current drawn. Fuse
accordingly.

Finding the amount of power it can take might be the real problem.

Did I hear the name Eddie Runner somewhere?

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

On Apr 23, 9:28 am, (GregS) wrote:

Finding the amount of power it can take might be the real problem.

I'm presuming he has the specs for the tweeter, which would include
the rated (RMS) power handling.

The key thing to remember here, also, is that one has to be sure to
use a fast-blow fuse.

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

One thing I'd like to point out in all of this is that a fuse is
likely to do more harm than good because you'll be under the false
impression that you can do whatever you want with the volume knob and
the fuse will save your bacon if things get too hot and heated. If I
were you, I'd just set my gains very carefully and don't let any
idiots near the volume knob. By using some common sense and by
designing/choosing your crossover carefully, you should be just fine.
I've had the same pair of MB Quart tweeters in my home cabinets since
1995 and they've endured everything from sound effects CDs to
Metallica with no problems whatsoever. I see no reason why your tweets
should be any different.

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
Eddie Runner Eddie Runner is offline

Figment of your imagination...! Eddie Runner was NEVER here.

BTW, did the RARE tweets just turn out to be
some Mirage home speakers?

I dont remember them being all that esoteric or rare.
plain ol dome tweets if I remember right.

Howdy Greg!!
ha ha ha

Eddie Runner

GregS wrote:

Finding the amount of power it can take might be the real problem.

Did I hear the name Eddie Runner somewhere?

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car

Eddie Runner wrote:
Figment of your imagination...! Eddie Runner was NEVER here.

BTW, did the RARE tweets just turn out to be
some Mirage home speakers?

I dont remember them being all that esoteric or rare.
plain ol dome tweets if I remember right.

Howdy Greg!!
ha ha ha

Eddie Runner

Dome tweeters made by Mirage and no longer made nor repaired. They
may not be particularly esoteric, but they are pretty much proprietary.

--
"Yes, it is a good thing you are handy, as
you clearly suck at being smart." - Herb

WTB: 1 MB Quart Tweeter or Tweeter set Hung Lieu Car Audio 2 April 17th 13 02:50 AM
protection Joseph Stavitsky Pro Audio 2 June 3rd 06 02:29 PM
protection Joseph Stavitsky Pro Audio 0 June 3rd 06 12:04 AM
Tweeter midrange protection devices/calculation Geoff Wood Tech 30 April 24th 04 10:15 AM
speaker protection Johan Wagener Car Audio 114 November 10th 03 06:39 PM