Luis Pla Revuelta

Default Old capacitor substitution

What are the best modern substitutes for each kind of old capacitors(paper,
wax-paper,oil,mica...)

Thanks.
Fred Nachbaur

Luis Pla Revuelta wrote:

What are the best modern substitutes for each kind of old capacitors(paper,
wax-paper,oil,mica...)

Thanks.

Wax-paper, oil -- polycarbonate or mylar, e.g. Sprague "Orange Drops".
(My opinion. Others may object quite vehemently.)

Mica - Mica or silvered mica. These rarely need replacing. But be awa
many of the larger "domino" capacitors are actually paper. Generally,
values over about .005 uF (5000 pF) will usually be paper.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Ronald

This one just asks for our "Happy Ears Al" ...... !!!!

Just try and listen (to the caps , not the stories) .
I don't like (almost hate) MKT = 1/2 the orange drop range ....
But you might just like them .
Your happy ears might differ from mine ......
Just don't stuff an amp with just one type !!

Ronald .

"Luis Pla Revuelta" schreef in bericht
What are the best modern substitutes for each kind of old

capacitors(paper,
wax-paper,oil,mica...)

Thanks.

Luis Pla Revuelta

I forgot to mention that I´m restoring now some old test equipment,not audio,
"the sound" really doesn´t matter.
There are tons of info about caps and sound.
Sorry if this is off-topic.

Regards.

Ronald wrote:

This one just asks for our "Happy Ears Al" ...... !!!!

Just try and listen (to the caps , not the stories) .
I don't like (almost hate) MKT = 1/2 the orange drop range ....
But you might just like them .
Your happy ears might differ from mine ......
Just don't stuff an amp with just one type !!

Ronald .

"Luis Pla Revuelta" schreef in bericht
What are the best modern substitutes for each kind of old

capacitors(paper,
wax-paper,oil,mica...)

Thanks.

Ned Carlson

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:50:33 +0000, Luis Pla Revuelta wrote:

I forgot to mention that I´m restoring now some old test equipment,not
audio, "the sound" really doesn´t matter.
There are tons of info about caps and sound. Sorry if this is off-topic.

Regards.

En ese caso creo que es bueno usar polypropylene regular de
cualquier marca, en lugar de los de papel y cera o aceite.
Con los modos modernos de fabricar capacitadores, es dificil
hacer los que no son fiables.

Hay nuevos de mica que son buenos y ecomonicos.

--
Ned Carlson Triode Electronics Chicago,IL USA
www.triodeelectronics.com

Ned Carlson

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 06:01:33 +0000, Luis Pla Revuelta wrote:

Thanks Ned
Good Spanish!!

No hay de que.
Buen ingles!