Rainer Jancis

Default Metrical Halo Mobile I/O 2882 vs. RME firface vs. MOTU 828 mkII

I own RME fireface ... I also have Motu 828 mkII ....Both have crappy
mic pres ... Converters of RME
seem to me better than MOTU converters ... How are Metrical Halo Mobile
I/O 2882 converters/pres compared to RME ones ?

hank alrich

Rainer Jancis wrote:

I own RME fireface ... I also have Motu 828 mkII ....Both have crappy
mic pres ... Converters of RME
seem to me better than MOTU converters ... How are Metrical Halo Mobile
I/O 2882 converters/pres compared to RME ones ?

Hit the MIO list, which has searchable archives for lots of MIO preamp
discussion. Cutting to the chase: the MIO 2882 pres are nice sounding
unless you need more than about 30 dB of gain. That limits their
intelligent use to loud sources and/or high output mics. The ULN2 was
developed to address this issue, and from what credible sources have
said those are excellent preamps, but only two-to-a-box.

The MIO ADC/DAC seems entirely usable to me, of sufficient quality that
I could never blame conversion for lousy sound. I don't have Lavry's,
etc., here with which to compare them.

My MIO is the 2882 + DSP. I will use the built-in preamps for casual
recordings, not otherwise.

--
ha

Apogee PSX100 SE vs MOTU 828 MKII clocked by Apogee Big Ben A. Morphous Pro Audio 3 January 7th 05 12:57 AM
MOTU 828 MKII FOR SALE JLP20 Tech 0 May 31st 04 03:14 AM
Extending the distance between my PC and my MOTU 2408 MKII Kelly Storla Pro Audio 6 December 4th 03 05:01 PM
mackie motu mobile... jerf Pro Audio 0 October 1st 03 01:43 AM
FS: Metric Halo Mobile IO Adam Hawkins Pro Audio 2 August 23rd 03 05:32 AM