xy

Default followup question to "points vs. pay cash for studio rate" question

hi guys,

i'm getting pretty confident in my track-writing skills for rap/r&b.
i'm hoping i'll be ready to show up to the real game in about 4-5
months.

i'd like to pair up with some rappers/singers and cut tracks. but i'm
not sure what the most sensible "positioning" would be for me.

i was entertaining the idea of spec work, but the other post has
"words of wisdom" against that.

is it possible to "shop myself" to real record labels in terms of my
production skills? i'm not talking about the actual rapping/singing.
i'm talking about creating the tracks and hooks, and work with the
artist to get the writing all together.

i wouldn't mind doing some spec work to give me some track ammo to
show my beat skills to someone with leverage in the industry. in many
ways, good unsigned artists would be doing *me* a favor by providing
content to intertwine with what i'm doing.

i live in the NYC area, if that helps the analysis at all.

i'm willing to do different "end-around" things to get noticed. for
example, doing some late night gopher work for a pro NYC studio doing
real label work. or even work to get on the fringe of the DJ scene.

i'm not ready yet, but i'd like to know where i should be pointing the
arrow...
EggHd

is it possible to "shop myself" to real record labels in terms of my
production skills?

You should always try and shop yourself. BUT keep in mind that there are a
zillion people who believe they are writing the best tracks or beats.

It's not a bad idea to hook up with a radio station and tell them you can do
remixes for them. Many times labels will go to influential stations for
remixers.

Also a good way to start is to work with some bigger rap/R&B posses as one of
the programmers. That can help you get noticed.

Publishers may be looking for good track guys, but it's easier to find a great
track and a great top end... meaning subject, lyrics, all that.

There are always opportunities for people if you look deep enough, are great at
your craft and work hard to get noticed.

---------------------------------------
Roger W. Norman

Just turn the answers around and instead of doing things for spec, hire your
people and pay them as "work for hire" which eliminates the issue of who has
the credits. In fact, if your music is good enough that they want to
support YOU, then perhaps you can get them to work on spec. If you have the
wherewithal to write and lay down the tracks and have them come in to do
their parts, then most of the effort and costs are on your part anyway.
Once you have product, then's the time to start thinking about shopping it.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681