Getting more punch from heavily distorted guitars?

Old January 22nd 18, 08:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

Default Getting more punch from heavily distorted guitars?

On 22/01/2018 19:53, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> The nice thing about living in the digital world, though, is
> that you can do it at any point in the process and it works the same way.

Not to mention that if it doesn't work, you're always still at
generation one in the chain for quality when you try again.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old January 23rd 18, 01:24 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson > wrote:
>On 22/01/2018 19:53, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> The nice thing about living in the digital world, though, is
>> that you can do it at any point in the process and it works the same way.

>Not to mention that if it doesn't work, you're always still at
>generation one in the chain for quality when you try again.

Yes, although the downside of that is that you can be caught ino the trap
of spending months trying different things to get it perfect, when it was
originally almost perfect.
Old January 23rd 18, 09:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_]

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 3:32:10 PM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> I don't understand the reluctance by so many people today to just use an
> amp in a room.

In the case of apartment dwellers, it's not necessarily practical. However, I also think a number of guitarists are bewitched by the variety and convenience of modern amp modelers. Personally, I was impressed with the Kemper.
Old January 24th 18, 06:18 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Larsen[_3_]

On 14-01-2018 21:03, James Price wrote:

> On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 10:13:18 AM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:

>> The secret is in the amp and in the room. If it sounds big and full in
>> the room, that's half the struggle.

>> I like to put something like a 635A that has no low end on the amp, then
>> if possible (given leakage considerations) a mike five or ten feet away
>> so that you get some room sound. The room mike is going to be boomy, and
>> will have a sustain from the room sound. The amp mike will have a bright
>> but sharp sound that compensates for the boom.

>>& more wisdom

> Thanks for the suggestion.

> This particular individual is attached to going direct with an Axe FX II
> rather than mic'ing up an amp, namely because the preset they use has
> 'their sound'.

Probably, but wants to sound louder and punchier. So to Scotts wise
words I will add: use an open back amplifier, set it at an angle to a
rear wall and use a stereophonic version of the close and far microphone
setup ploy.

> Since the Axe FX is primarily used to record direct,
> any room sound would have to be artificially created. Hardly ideal, but
> options are limited.

Yes, they are, musician needs to follow advice to get larger and
punchier sound.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Old January 31st 18, 12:58 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

> You don't have to use amp sims any more, at least not with VST. There is
> a free convolution VST - PULSE by Rosen Digital Audio - and you load
> up an impulse response of your favorite amp and go.

I bought a Kemper Profiler which "profiles" the sound coming from a mic in front of an amp. They are REALLY, REALLY accurate. There are tons of A?B comparisons to judge for yourself. It ain't cheap at $1700, but I haven't mic'ed an AMP since it arrived last spring. Many of the Michael Britt profiles are free with it...Stunning. And it had bass amp profiles, and dozens of pedals, CRAZY. Where it departs from amp sims are in the clean sounds.. They have the depth and chime of real amps. The sounds are taken from real amps/
Old January 31st 18, 04:18 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Does arrangement count? Like having
strong but well-spaced jabs at the
strings? Listen to first 30sec of 'Long
Cool Woman(In A Black Dress)' as
example.
Old January 31st 18, 11:14 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

> So, what is the difference between the profiles that the Kemper uses
> and the impulse response samples used in convolution reverbs?

I don't really know the science behind it. Profiles are made by micing up your amp and having the profiler profile it....it plugs into the amp input and plays various sounds and measures what the amp/mic are doing to those sounds. Is that the same as convolution? Sounds similar