AT 2050 dead

Old October 24th 20, 07:20 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
T.W. Day

Default AT 2050 dead

A friend gave me an AT2050 condenser to fix. The mic had been dropped HARD and the capsule is clear shorted. I tried to give it back, but he said, "Keep it, maybe you can use the parts for something." "Something" is probably right. The 2050's capsule is a weird little 27mm thing, wrapped in a plastic frame and not particularly well-built. I thought about modifying the capsule stand to hold an actual 34mm capsule, but it would be nice to have a schematic in case I need to modify the circuit. Does anyone know if there is a source for AT mic service information?
Old October 24th 20, 11:27 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 10/24/2020 2:20 PM, T.W. Day wrote:
> A friend gave me an AT2050 condenser to fix. The mic had been dropped HARD and the capsule is clear shorted. I tried to give it back, but he said, "Keep it, maybe you can use the parts for something."

How about getting a new capsule from A-T and making it into a usable mic
again?

Old October 25th 20, 09:41 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 18:27:33 -0400, Mike Rivers >
wrote:

>On 10/24/2020 2:20 PM, T.W. Day wrote:
>> A friend gave me an AT2050 condenser to fix. The mic had been dropped HARD and the capsule is clear shorted. I tried to give it back, but he said, "Keep it, maybe you can use the parts for something."

>How about getting a new capsule from A-T and making it into a usable mic
>again?

Or failing that, any capsule from any source that will physically fit.
It will still work just fine.

Old October 26th 20, 06:10 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

T.W. Day > wrote:
>A friend gave me an AT2050 condenser to fix. The mic had been dropped HARD =
>and the capsule is clear shorted. I tried to give it back, but he said, "Ke=
>ep it, maybe you can use the parts for something." "Something" is probably =
>right. The 2050's capsule is a weird little 27mm thing, wrapped in a plasti=
>c frame and not particularly well-built. I thought about modifying the caps=
>ule stand to hold an actual 34mm capsule, but it would be nice to have a sc=
>hematic in case I need to modify the circuit. Does anyone know if there is =
>a source for AT mic service information?

AT used to have schematics for all their products on the datasheets. They
were simplified schematics, but still very useful for repair. That stopped
in the early nineties, and now there is little service info available.

But I bet they will sell you a replacement capsule for the 2050 for a
reasonable price.
Old October 27th 20, 02:56 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_]

Call AT in Ohio and talk to the service dept.
Old October 27th 20, 06:19 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_]

On 10/26/2020 1:10 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> T.W. Day > wrote:
>> A friend gave me an AT2050 condenser to fix. The mic had been dropped HARD =
>> and the capsule is clear shorted. I tried to give it back, but he said, "Ke=
>> ep it, maybe you can use the parts for something." "Something" is probably =
>> right. The 2050's capsule is a weird little 27mm thing, wrapped in a plasti=
>> c frame and not particularly well-built. I thought about modifying the caps=
>> ule stand to hold an actual 34mm capsule, but it would be nice to have a sc=
>> hematic in case I need to modify the circuit. Does anyone know if there is =
>> a source for AT mic service information?

> AT used to have schematics for all their products on the datasheets. They
> were simplified schematics, but still very useful for repair. That stopped
> in the early nineties, and now there is little service info available.
>
> But I bet they will sell you a replacement capsule for the 2050 for a
> reasonable price.
> --scott

I just tried A-T's website and get a 503 error (page not available).
Perhaps they're done?

--
best regards,

Neil
Old October 27th 20, 06:49 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 13:19:14 -0400, Neil >
wrote:

>On 10/26/2020 1:10 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> T.W. Day > wrote:
>>> A friend gave me an AT2050 condenser to fix. The mic had been dropped HARD =
>>> and the capsule is clear shorted. I tried to give it back, but he said, "Ke=
>>> ep it, maybe you can use the parts for something." "Something" is probably =
>>> right. The 2050's capsule is a weird little 27mm thing, wrapped in a plasti=
>>> c frame and not particularly well-built. I thought about modifying the caps=
>>> ule stand to hold an actual 34mm capsule, but it would be nice to have a sc=
>>> hematic in case I need to modify the circuit. Does anyone know if there is =
>>> a source for AT mic service information?

>> AT used to have schematics for all their products on the datasheets. They
>> were simplified schematics, but still very useful for repair. That stopped
>> in the early nineties, and now there is little service info available.
>>
>> But I bet they will sell you a replacement capsule for the 2050 for a
>> reasonable price.
>> --scott
>>

>I just tried A-T's website and get a 503 error (page not available).
>Perhaps they're done?

Fine from here - probably a temporary thing

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/microphones/wired

Old October 27th 20, 11:10 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_]

On 10/27/2020 1:49 PM, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 13:19:14 -0400, Neil >
> wrote:

>>> AT used to have schematics for all their products on the datasheets. They
>>> were simplified schematics, but still very useful for repair. That stopped
>>> in the early nineties, and now there is little service info available.
>>>
>>> But I bet they will sell you a replacement capsule for the 2050 for a
>>> reasonable price.
>>> --scott
>>>

>> I just tried A-T's website and get a 503 error (page not available).
>> Perhaps they're done?

> Fine from here - probably a temporary thing
>
> https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/microphones/wired

You may be right, because it works now, though I'm in the US.

<https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/>

--
best regards,

Neil